Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
danielost

why do non-believers always

1,076 posts in this topic

willowdreams

I don't get it either. I say I'm an atheist and people assume something happened to me or I'm angry at their god for some imagined slight against me. Just not enough evidence. Same reason I don't believe in fairies, elves and danish people.

*gasps and looks at you with shock*

bbbbbbbbuuuuuuuuuuut what about those pixies and fairies that... take all our shiny things like tweezers, nail clippers and keys? or.. the dryer fairies and pixies that take one sock out of a pair? ... you must believe in THEM!!! Unless.. you have another theory about lost shiny things and one sock out of a pair?

• Like 2

Imaginarynumber1

*gasps and looks at you with shock*

bbbbbbbbuuuuuuuuuuut what about those pixies and fairies that... take all our shiny things like tweezers, nail clippers and keys? or.. the dryer fairies and pixies that take one sock out of a pair? ... you must believe in THEM!!! Unless.. you have another theory about lost shiny things and one sock out of a pair?

no-meme-rage-face.jpg

• Like 1

willowdreams

no-meme-rage-face.jpg

*sobs* my heart breaks at your non belief

• Like 2

danielost

Wether you believe in god or not, you have a belief about him. If you didn't you wouln't attack him and you would ignore those of us who do. As I do with those "christians" on tv. If someone is saying a prayer around me a remain reverent for their belief, but usually ignore the prayer. If I do agree with it I keep that to myself.

Edited by danielost

RabidCat

I don't believe in either the muslim god or the christian god. Nor do I believe in quantum mechanics.

I'm a retired engineer of electrical/electronics systems. What is in front of me, on my bench, is what is real, and it doesn't matter a damned bit if you're a christian, muslim, or particle physicist, if your theory doesn't coincide with what I have there on the bench, your theory is of no worth. In other words, you can preach at me, try to convert me, or hurl every equation in the world at me, but if what you say doesn't agree with the reality, you lose.

You can tell me god controls everything, and if I have faith, and pray, then all will be well. That hasn't been my experience; what I have came from hard work, a lot of it.

If you're Einstein and you tell me space is bent, the vacuum really is vacuum, the universe is finite, and mass goes to infinity at lightspeed, I'll just agree with the astronomer and tell you you're full of crap.

If you're Feynmann and you tell me that there are charge carrying virtual photons that pop into and out of existence, I'll tell you you need to smoke something else (and believe it or not, that is exactly what I said to Feynmann).

My personal opinion of organized religion is that it is nothing more or less than a crowd control mechanism. Do I believe in the realm of spirit? Yes, I do: I am a firm believer in the Spirit That Moves In All Things, but I also believe that spirit doesn't give much of a rat's ass what we do here, who we are, or what we think.

But if one is a believer in christianity or islam or whatever, you must believe you are in hell, because this world certainly fits the description.

• Like 1

Brian Topp

you are being a bit silly, arent you?

For one thing, *I* and most other atheists/agnostics do ignore most bible believing pple, there are a few militants out there, but then again, there are a few cult/extremist of christians too! so do not judge ALL athiests by the extremist, or we can judge you by your extremists.

HOWEVER

No one here is really attacking YOU. This whole place is a DEBATE forum. This is where we CAN, DO and SHOULD debate/argue whatever on any topic posted here by anyone. That is the basics of most of these forums.

Now, in normal every day life, I ignore most xians. I just personally do not give a hoot who believes what. I just plain do not care.

UNTIL it becomes law or bills/laws are passed where the most basic of the basics are based on biblical idea of what constitutes rights.

If *I* want to have an abortion, I should be able to go to a clinic and do so, regardless of what christians think. *I* am bisexual, if *I* choose to marry another woman, THAT is MY right, and no xians should be able to deny me such a right.

SO it is based on, i do not care what others believe as long as their belief system does not get in MY way.

Also, I do not have a belief OF god, but I reckon you could say I understand the mythology OF god/s.

Yes, I put the xian god in the same myth genre as I do of the greek gods, egyption gods, et et et.

To me they are all lumped together, and that is fine.

For me, that is as it should be.

YEAH!

• Like 1

Arbenol

you are being a bit silly, arent you?

For one thing, *I* and most other atheists/agnostics do ignore most bible believing pple, there are a few militants out there, but then again, there are a few cult/extremist of christians too! so do not judge ALL athiests by the extremist, or we can judge you by your extremists.

HOWEVER

No one here is really attacking YOU. This whole place is a DEBATE forum. This is where we CAN, DO and SHOULD debate/argue whatever on any topic posted here by anyone. That is the basics of most of these forums.

Now, in normal every day life, I ignore most xians. I just personally do not give a hoot who believes what. I just plain do not care.

UNTIL it becomes law or bills/laws are passed where the most basic of the basics are based on biblical idea of what constitutes rights.

If *I* want to have an abortion, I should be able to go to a clinic and do so, regardless of what christians think. *I* am bisexual, if *I* choose to marry another woman, THAT is MY right, and no xians should be able to deny me such a right.

SO it is based on, i do not care what others believe as long as their belief system does not get in MY way.

Also, I do not have a belief OF god, but I reckon you could say I understand the mythology OF god/s.

Yes, I put the xian god in the same myth genre as I do of the greek gods, egyption gods, et et et.

To me they are all lumped together, and that is fine.

For me, that is as it should be.

YEAH!

I'll second that!

• Like 1

AtlantisRises

Not this time of year. Beside Yeti's are kind of a pink color and the Florida habit for them is on the beach. They line the beaches in winter looking like pink beached whales.

And this is the sort of attitude that caused the reformation :P

As to the OP as an Unbeliever I don't think god does anything at all. So I wouldn't call anything it does a magic trick because it isn't real.

Jacques Terreur

I'll second that!

and an "AMEN" from me, too! :D

• Like 1

Frank Merton

Wether you believe in god or not, you have a belief about him. If you didn't you wouln't attack him and you would ignore those of us who do. As I do with those "christians" on tv. If someone is saying a prayer around me a remain reverent for their belief, but usually ignore the prayer. If I do agree with it I keep that to myself.

Actually that is not accurate; I have a very strong opinion and nothing more that there is no God. To say I believe it would not fit.
  • Like 1

Davros of Skaro

Historically moses did exist. We have already descussed slavery in another thread. It has taken on many different forms. The egyptions didn't call them isrealites, because at the time they were not isrealites. They became isrealites during the exodus, when moses devided them into twelve even tribes plus the preists.

The slavery your talking about is what took place in the usa. But, the type of slave that the bible gives rules for, would become known as endentured servents in the north. They were treated as badly or worse as the slaves in the south.

Historically, the group that became the isrealites. Were the guards for the egyption border with sinia. This is why the egyptions feared that they might decide to help the enemy instead of egypt.

When your building something like a pyramid the whole nation gets involved in it. The isrealites had to contribute so many mud bricks for construction, as did many other groups. The slavery came in after phario killed all the first born males.

What proof do you have that Moses existed besides the Bible?Please do not show me circular Coral either.

• Like 1

Almagest

Does the Church of LDS have this Urim and Thummin thing so we can examine it and work out it's mechanisms? No wait, just like a magicians audience, we're not supposed to know how it works, just accept that it works.

• Like 2

willowdreams

Does the Church of LDS have this Urim and Thummin thing so we can examine it and work out it's mechanisms? No wait, just like a magicians audience, we're not supposed to know how it works, just accept that it works.

Here is one thing I will never 'get'. Why does each religious group say you need to take most of their stuff on 'faith' that it is true, Mormons do that with the tablets and glsses, christian churches do it with stuff not proven outside the bible, muslims do it..

They all do it

Yet, they all also claim to be the 'true' path to god (do not let anyone fool you, mormons believe they are the true path, I know this for a fact).

They want you to take it on an act of faith.

It makes me 'shudder' to think of this, I really get horrible chills. Never having to prove yourself outside the 'holy' scriptures, and blanketing things with 'faith'.. means scientology is real. means david korsh, jim jones.. et et.. has their path too, all on a leap of 'faith', with nothing proven outside the 'scriptures', because it all must be 'prayerfully' done and 'prayerfully taken' as a leap of faith.

Though this is NOT the reason I am athiest/agnostic.. it is an underlying thing for me that is always in the back of my mind.

It is the main reason i cannot go for religion in politics and feel good about it.

• Like 3

Frank Merton

The ideal religions accept the best science and the best philosophers and the best moral teachers. In the end, though, we can only teach and lead by example. Each person has the individual responsibility to constantly doubt and test and see if what they are about is the best possible.

• Like 1

willowdreams

The ideal religions accept the best science and the best philosophers and the best moral teachers. In the end, though, we can only teach and lead by example. Each person has the individual responsibility to constantly doubt and test and see if what they are about is the best possible.

agreed. Have you noticed, the more into the 'future' we move, the more science we learn.. the better educated we become, the less popular religion and superstitions are?

I mean, you still have your areas/pockets that seem to be 'bible belt', *I* live in the bible belt, yet.. religion is not so extreme here as it once was in like.. say...30 yrs ago..

I do not think crime is really all that worse, I think we see more of it because of media, it has less places to hide now, before it had all sorts of hiding places.

I think overall, we are seeing religion becomong less and less and less.. and people thinking, questioning, learning.. trying to move forward, is beocming the new norm

I hope so anyway

• Like 2

ambelamba

Urim and Thummin...If an entire civilization made an important decision by using some kind of dice then I would never ever get near that one.

AtlantisRises

What decision can't be made with a pair of D&D dice? I've never found one.

• Like 4

Marcion Meets E. Sibyl

There is no Archeological evidence that Moses existed,or even that the Isrealites were slaves of Egypt.

Jesus mentioned that Moses wrote about Him, but in addition to the verse, check these links out:

http://www.arkdiscovery.com/red_sea_crossing.htm

exwheel.JPGexwheel2.JPG

"...chariot wheels fixed to axels standing at attention on the seabed."

chariotwheel.gif"...photo taken of a gilded chariot wheel that remains on the sea floor. It was found by Ron Wyatt using a molecular frequency generator from his boat above, after he set the equipment to search for gold. The Bible said all the chariots of Egypt and 600 choice chariots, or gold veneered models, were in the army pursuing God's people. It is speculated there were 20,000 chariots destroyed that day."

http://www.jewfaq.org/moshe.htm

"As with the stories of the patriarchs, modern scholars question the historical accuracy of this information; however, scholars also claimed that the Torah could not have been written at that time because alphabetic writing did not exist … and then archaeologists dug up 4000 year old samples of alphabetic writing."

Peace.

• Like 1

Frank Merton

Jesus mentioned Moses but then Jesus never existed either.

• Like 1

Marcion Meets E. Sibyl

Fair enough, and the verse was basically about that. You just have to meet Him in person. Peace.

Almagest

Fair enough, and the verse was basically about that. You just have to meet Him in person. Peace.

And you have to meet Allah/Krishna/Thor/Zeus/Mazda in person.

Frank Merton

Now Thor and Mazda sound interesting.

Almagest

Now Thor and Mazda sound interesting.

Thor is also the second best Avenger (next to Hulk). Can Jesus say that?

• Like 1

danielost

Jesus can raise the dead. Thor can't.

• Like 1