Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Driver's car is wrecked by an e-cigarette

Still Waters

A motorist told today how his car was wrecked when his electronic cigarette exploded while charging.

Chris Thomas, 37, said the e-cigarette shot out of the 12V power socket 'like a firework' and landed on the back seat of his Skoda company car, setting setting fire to the upholstery.

http://www.dailymail...-blackened.html

• Like 1

Funny, I've been using an E-go just like the one pictured for two years... along with several other brands (V2, Volt, Rhino etc...) and none of them have exploded while charging. Of course, I've never charged them on anything but their approved chargers, which include two wall adaptors, and USB chargers connected to the laptop. All the batteries are labeled appropriately that you should NEVER charge them on a non-standard charger. I don't plug my car charger into the 12v outlet, I don't have an adaptor for that--I plug it into the USB cable that is for my iPod in the car. It's fine, it doesn't even get warm. Something tells me that these folks may not have been using approved chargers for the device. In fact, of the hundreds of users I've talked to online from e-cig user forums, no ones had one explode on them except when they gaffed and didn't use the correct chargers, and even that's been rare.

• Like 2

Funny, I've been using an E-go just like the one pictured for two years... along with several other brands (V2, Volt, Rhino etc...) and none of them have exploded while charging. Of course, I've never charged them on anything but their approved chargers, which include two wall adaptors, and USB chargers connected to the laptop. All the batteries are labeled appropriately that you should NEVER charge them on a non-standard charger. I don't plug my car charger into the 12v outlet, I don't have an adaptor for that--I plug it into the USB cable that is for my iPod in the car. It's fine, it doesn't even get warm. Something tells me that these folks may not have been using approved chargers for the device. In fact, of the hundreds of users I've talked to online from e-cig user forums, no ones had one explode on them except when they gaffed and didn't use the correct chargers, and even that's been rare.

Its big tobacco propaganda .

The new fad is to put these cigg manufacturers out of business ,as they are independent from big tobacco .They rake in 600million a year now ,which is making alot of tobacco companies grumpy.

Big tobacco is working on its own models now,and will claim they are much safer than these.

Watch

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 3

Actually, it's NOT big tobacco contrary to what it seems like should be logically true. Big tobacco might start producing their own ecigs, and they want a piece of that pie. Lorillard, who owns Blu Ecigs as of last year, is the first to jump into that arena, and in fact, most ecig users who follow the politics and growth of the industry, did and still think that was a good thing. It's the FDA that's the REAL problem. But as conspiracy sounding as this is, the FDA has a stake in keeping people smoking, keeping tax revenue flowing from "sins" and yes, keeping people sick so the drug companies can keep treating smoking related diseases at a high cost.

Almost ALL ecig manufacturers are based in China, the ecig was invented there too. The FDA and government is trying their hardest to get it labeled as "harmful" and something that can be sin taxed. The government is p***ED that there's a healthy alternative to smoking that the drug companies have NO stake in. Good-bye patches, gums, and lozenges that don't work. Ecigs actually DO work as a safe harm reduction tool.

• 2 months later...

Personally I would blame Skoda for making my e cig to explode and I would blame Skoda for not having adequate anti flammable upholstery.

Actually, it's NOT big tobacco contrary to what it seems like should be logically true. Big tobacco might start producing their own ecigs, and they want a piece of that pie. Lorillard, who owns Blu Ecigs as of last year, is the first to jump into that arena, and in fact, most ecig users who follow the politics and growth of the industry, did and still think that was a good thing. It's the FDA that's the REAL problem. But as conspiracy sounding as this is, the FDA has a stake in keeping people smoking, keeping tax revenue flowing from "sins" and yes, keeping people sick so the drug companies can keep treating smoking related diseases at a high cost.

Almost ALL ecig manufacturers are based in China, the ecig was invented there too. The FDA and government is trying their hardest to get it labeled as "harmful" and something that can be sin taxed. The government is p***ED that there's a healthy alternative to smoking that the drug companies have NO stake in. Good-bye patches, gums, and lozenges that don't work. Ecigs actually DO work as a safe harm reduction tool.

I said, they will claim theirs are safer than the ones from the independent companies.

Theyre all working on their own models, but are trying to get around the original patents.

It absolutely in big tobacco trying to discredit the companies not under their reign.

Gosh, why would you leave anything plugged into your car lighter socket overnight or for hours without attendance?

I don't really ever charge mine in my car, mostly because they won't charge when my car is off (not even my hardwire USB cable in my car will charge anything when the car is off -- ecigs charge via USB). But tons of people leave things plugged into their car all the time. iPods, phones, Bluetooth ear pieces, etc... an ecig isn't much different, just a battery like a phone battery but smaller.