Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cassette tape near motorways

ColossalVelocity

A guy I knews puppy got hold of one once.Not a good experience for the poor thing cause it ended up being put to sleep.Dangerous to wildlife they were.

I hope his puppy wasn't producing cyanide-laced, grape-flavored Flavor-Aid?

• 4 years later...

..Except that its 2018, you can't even buy that stuff anymore, and it happens all over southern California. There are stretches of highway with vhs tape spread out and over shrubs as well. Funny thing...if it were just chewed up cartridges, where are the cartridges.

• 2 months later...
On 24/09/2013 at 4:13 PM, ColossalVelocity said:

Alright guys? I've just joined the forum, so this is my first post.

This is something that has bothered me from time to time. Where I grew up, in Wales, the UK, a lot of times when we would go out in the car and get on the motorway, looking to the side of the road I would sometimes notice cassette tape, unwound and covering trees, shrubbery and other vegetation by the side of the road. I found it, and still do, quite creepy. My dad told me that he'd heard it was something to do with Satanic cults, like they would record 'messages' on the cassette, unravel them and spread them on the plants, presumably so that the 'influence' would spread out to anyone driving along the road.

Has anyone else observed this phenomenon, and heard any different or complimentary theories?

It's something I've seen a lot over the years, casette tape unravelled and wrapped around bushes and whatnot.

Edited by Black Monk

Always check the date of that which you respond to....

(I've never been caught necroposting, uhuh, not me, no way..)

I remember those days.. driving down the road.. and the tape deck chewing the tape.. in frustration you would yank it out and toss it out the window.. and the rest of the tape once you swear and pull that out of the tape deck.. LOL 

ahh memories..

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 4:41 PM, ChrLzs said:

Always check the date of that which you respond to....

(I've never been caught necroposting, uhuh, not me, no way..)

LOL, necroposting...  I like that term, I've never heard that before but it made me chuckle a bit!  :)

2 hours ago, DingoLingo said:

I remember those days.. driving down the road.. and the tape deck chewing the tape.. in frustration you would yank it out and toss it out the window.. and the rest of the tape once you swear and pull that out of the tape deck.. LOL 

ahh memories..

Tape was never a perfect medium but I always tried to splice the broken tape in the event it became snarled in the cassette player.  Hey, those things used to cost about $9.99 retail and also on recorded tapes, you sometimes had stuff recorded that was irreplaceable.  Of course, if you left tapes in your car on a hot day, you would be fresh out of luck because if the plastic casing wasn't warped then the magnetic tape would corrupt and you'd have a pile of distorted recordings.

21 hours ago, Mantis914 said:

LOL, necroposting...  I like that term, I've never heard that before but it made me chuckle a bit!  :)

Tape was never a perfect medium but I always tried to splice the broken tape in the event it became snarled in the cassette player.  Hey, those things used to cost about $9.99 retail and also on recorded tapes, you sometimes had stuff recorded that was irreplaceable.  Of course, if you left tapes in your car on a hot day, you would be fresh out of luck because if the plastic casing wasn't warped then the magnetic tape would corrupt and you'd have a pile of distorted recordings.

I like your avatar.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi guys,

im doing a documentary on urban myths so I was brought here. I remember my mum telling me that exact myth in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

in her version, kids recorded satanic chants onto the tape then wound them round lampposts to provoke road accidents.

No truth in it of course, just a story to scare kids - but interesting to see how the urban myth was UK-wide!

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2013 at 1:13 AM, ColossalVelocity said:

Alright guys? I've just joined the forum, so this is my first post.  This is something that has bothered me from time to time. Where I grew up, in Wales, the UK, a lot of times when we would go out in the car and get on the motorway, looking to the side of the road I would sometimes notice cassette tape, unwound and covering trees, shrubbery and other vegetation by the side of the road. I found it, and still do, quite creepy. My dad told me that he'd heard it was something to do with Satanic cults, like they would record 'messages' on the cassette, unravel them and spread them on the plants, presumably so that the 'influence' would spread out to anyone driving along the road.  Has anyone else observed this phenomenon, and heard any different or complimentary theories?

Your dad is a funny guy.  I like his sense of humor.

• Haha 1