Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lanzas Medical Records To Not Be Released

Kowalski

STATE of Connecticut Claims Disclosure of Adam Lanza’s Records “Can Cause A Lot of People to Stop Taking Their Medications” in Recent Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Hearing.

Ablechild vs. Chief Medical Examiner (FIC Docket No: 2013-197):

Attorney, Patrick B. Kwanashie, AAG for the Office of the Attorney General argues release of Adam Lanza’s records to public “can cause a lot of people to stop taking their medications”. Ablechild argues that lack of transparency compromises informed consent and puts public health “at risk”.

Link: http://ablechild.org/category/press/

Link to video:

Sandy Hook Shootings—Call to Release Lanza's psychiatric drug history

Link:

Edited by Burt Gummer
  • Like 1

I'm not surprised at this.

Then, I'm not really convinced that Lanza was even there that day, that he did any shooting, or that any shooting at all went on. :no:

• Like 1

Um, wow. I would hope medical records are not disclosed to the general public. Not for any reason.

Well, in past shootings, such as in Aurora and the Navy Yard Shooting more recently, the general public was made aware of the medications the shooters were on and that they were under the care of a doctor. Just wondering why they won't tell us that....

Also, I view this as a matter of public safety. If Lanza was on medications that made him go off the deep end, what if there are others who are taking similar meds? What if the same drug or combination of drugs makes them go off the deep end?

• Like 1

Well, in past shootings, such as in Aurora and the Navy Yard Shooting more recently, the general public was made aware of the medications the shooters were on and that they were under the care of a doctor. Just wondering why they won't tell us that....

Also, I view this as a matter of public safety. If Lanza was on medications that made him go off the deep end, what if there are others who are taking similar meds? What if the same drug or combination of drugs makes them go off the deep end?

Huh, didn't know that. I mean, I have read in reports that some of these folks were under medical attention, but I had no idea that their confidential medical records had been opened for the general public.

I guess there's a good point about knowing about if meds are messed up, I'm just in general not too keen about medical records being made available to the general public.

Edit: spelling error.

Edited by rashore
  • Like 2

Exactly - isn't there some responsibility here to reveal the medications that may have contributed to this?

• Like 2

Huh, didn't know that. I mean, I have read in reports that some of these folks were under medical attention, but I had no idea that their confidential medical records had been opened for the general public.

I guess there's a good point about knowing about if meds are messed up, I'm just in general not to keen about medical records being made available to the general public.

Oh, I don't blame you on that, at all. Normally, I would agree with you. I don't think the whole medical history should be made public, but if they were on certain meds that have side effects such as violence and suicidal thoughts, that should be made public, as it might have contributed to what happened.

Not saying psych meds in general are bad. But Some people do react badly to them. And everyone is different and has different reactions and a body chemistry. One drug may work fine for one person, but for another person it can be very bad.

Exactly - isn't there some responsibility here to reveal the medications that may have contributed to this?

I think so. But mainstream media gets paid a lot by their sponsors, the pharma companies, so they aren't gonna report anything that might be bad for them. Or make them loose consumers.

I guess there's a good point about knowing about if meds are messed up, I'm just in general not too keen about medical records being made available to the general public.

Edit: spelling error.

Statistically speaking, there is a pretty solid connection between the use of certain psychoactive drugs and folks, especially youngsters, "going off the deep end." Indeed, the shooter in the Navy Yard last week is reported to have just been put on such medication.

The argument could be made that the companies bringing these products to market should be required to show such data and behavior as part of the approval process, but I know that's easier said than done. As time goes on, if such behavior can be demonstrated, the FDA should step in with an amendment of some sort to the way the drug is used.

A few years after Columbine, it turned out that of the about 25 shooters involved in such crazy shootings, 20 of them had been treated with such drugs.

Rational public policy would require that such information be made public.

• Like 1