Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Governments Hire Web Trolls

misty55

Great use of tax money. I've always suspected I'm paying someone to do this. I've accused one regular poster of it in the past but I'm pretty sure he's just forever drunk on liberal progressive kool aid.

• Like 3

Oh great, my money is going to internet trolls?

I don't want to live here anymore. :unsure2:

• Like 2

Oh great, my money is going to internet trolls?

I don't want to live here anymore. :unsure2:

There are a few hundred other countries you can move to...provided you have money, a useful skill or some government secrets :innocent:

• Like 2

[media=]

[/media]

There seems to be a few on this very forum. Easy to spot them though.

Good video! Thanks for posting this. :tu:

They mostly like to hang out in news comment sections the most though.....

• Like 3

There seems to be a few on this very forum. Easy to spot them though.

Something to note before this sentiment goes any further - let's not have this topic used as an excuse to point fingers or to accuse other members here of being "paid trolls".

If this thread does degenerate in to this then it's going to end up being closed very quickly.

• Like 6

Meh, I've seen some troll like behavior on several forums. Not sure if that means any of them were on the govt dole or not. Then again, most of the forums I stick in most it wouldn't make sense for a govt troll. Like what would a govt troll be doing in the ghost forum? Lol.

Not too shocked if it is true that the govt has trolls though.

Something to note before this sentiment goes any further - this topic should not be used as an excuse to point fingers or to accuse other members here of being "paid trolls".

If this thread does degenerate in to this then it's going to end up being closed very quickly.

understood. However, is there any rule here against people paid to spout a govt viewpoint? Maybe it would count as spam?

• Like 2

understood. However, is there any rule here against people paid to spout a govt viewpoint? Maybe it would count as spam?

And how would we know who was being paid and who wasn't?

What would be the point of a rule that moderators could not enforce because it would be impossible to tell who was breaking it?

However making accusations against other members is a rule we can police.

• Like 3

And how would we know who was being paid and who wasn't?

What would be the point of a rule that moderators could not enforce because it would be impossible to tell who was breaking it?

However making accusations against other members is a rule we can police.

Fair enough but... What if by slim chance someone outed themselves. What would happen if reported?

Fair enough but... What if by slim chance someone outed themselves. What would happen if reported?

Depends on the agency and program that person works for and what country both are in.

Lets suppose you found out that somebody is one of the CIA disinformation trolls and you would happily put that on a public website. Saru might kick him/her off but you would spend some time in Leavenworth for it (thanks to a Prezz directive owed to Ronald Reagan).

So, if you know who is one, unless he/she works for the Iranians, Russians, North Koreans or Chinese you should keep it to yourself. If this is read by somebody living in any of those countries the contrary applies, and I believe their prison for national offenses is not called Leavenworth.

• Like 1

I wonder what they pay, and if they would let someone work part time....

whatever the pay, its not worth your soul

• Like 4

I wonder what they pay, and if they would let someone work part time....

Et tu brutus?

• Like 4

What about the people "working" for God. Looking around this forum it seems this "problem" is more manifest in the religious sections than the news sections.

• Like 2

What about the people "working" for God. Looking around this forum it seems this "problem" is more manifest in the religious sections than the news sections.

There are all kinds of jokers pushing an agenda on all types of forums. There are some who do it to impress the world, others to buy the stairway to heaven and still others for material gain. In fact, some even try to sell kitchens.

• Like 1

Nah guys, just think... let 'em hire a bunch of us to be 'trolls'... Just think how we could twist the message in all sorts of different ways!...

You aren't really think it through are you?

How could someone out themselves in this way? An accidental confession? All they would then need to say is "I was being ironic". Tell me how we could prove differently? As I said earlier there is no possible way we could take action. There is no way we could prove any such case.

I suspect that if a paid agent was that stupid they would not remain in the employ of the security services for long.

If they did keep that job then I suspect that would be the last post they made (at least with that identity). What is the point of a "secret" identity if everyone knows about it?

Any specific rules we made would be pointless. Anyone outed would simply disappear and be replaced.

So there are no specific rules against such activities. How could there be? How could this forum have a rule banning any government agency, law enforcement agency or security service carrying out their jobs no matter how much we might disapprove of them?

well good luck to them, they have their work cut out for them, they are very outnumbered. it is actually very hard work to watch at the monitor 8 or more hours a day none stop. whatever you do. trolling or wrighting code.

• Like 1

I suspect that if a paid agent was that stupid they would not remain in the employ of the security services for long.

i very doubt they are stupid, to convince someone with strong opinion otherwise, they have to be former\present psyop officers, and to get job like that they'd need a degree in cyber whatever. if they do what most, including me, do here, they will not sway anyones opinion.

the best way to hide a lie is between 2 truths

• Like 2

I would have thought this whole thing would only be a problem if there were thread after thread with names like "Iran will defeat the great Satan, dicuss" or "The heroic workers of North Korea will triple tractor production during this five year plan", or "We will bury you, was Khrushchev right?". I don't see this, infact sometimes it is threads attacking these countries. Would it mean that a national of any country disparaged in a thread, or within a thread by another poster, could be seen as an "agent" of their own country if they defend their country. It seems that this is the thrust of this OP. This would end any debate as posters would be scared to defend their own country, right or wrong, for fear of being accussed of being a paid "troll". It could also be that if a poster just happend to think their country was right about an issue, then they would be inhibited from speaking out simply because they will have the same view as their governments, and so be seen as a paid troll. I probably laboured this too much, but I hope my point is seen.

• Like 1

You aren't really think it through are you?

How could someone out themselves in this way? An accidental confession? All they would then need to say is "I was being ironic". Tell me how we could prove differently? As I said earlier there is no possible way we could take action. There is no way we could prove any such case.

If they did keep that job then I suspect that would be the last post they made (at least with that identity). What is the point of a "secret" identity if everyone knows about it?

Any specific rules we made would be pointless. Anyone outed would simply disappear and be replaced.

So there are no specific rules against such activities. How could there be? How could this forum have a rule banning any government agency, law enforcement agency or security service carrying out their jobs no matter how much we might disapprove of them?

I don't know. The subject came up. I was curious. You're a moderator. Figured I'd ask.