Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hey

ExplainInTheAss

Hello everyone, my name is ExplainInTheAss and I joined Unexplained Mysteries because I needed to find forums after about a 4 year hiatus from online community boards and this kind of stuff in general really interests me. I love discussing anything related to Philosophy, Pyschology, Humanities, and uh... well, unexplained mysteries. Hope I'm able to have good convos and debates as well as contributing to my deep ass thoughts. :sk<- That looks fun as helll I wish I could do dat im lyin I do it all the time

• Like 1

Grassy ass essay

You say you're interested in philosophy?

Who are some of your favorite philosophers? Or schools of thought?

lmaooo I do a lot of introspective thinking and I interpret literally every single thing around me. I question everything and create thousands of hypothesis' in my head. If you follow some of my posts you'll see what I mean. I may sound like I don't take stuff seriously a lot of the time but what can I say that's just how I am haha. I'm like an enigma or something. I learned a little about the school of pragmatism by William James today in believe it or not, psychology class. He left his field in pyschology and eventually went into studying philosophy. I don't know much about the background of philosophy but I would definitely consider myself a philosopher at heart and would be interested in learning as much as possible.

lmaooo I do a lot of introspective thinking and I interpret literally every single thing around me. I question everything and create thousands of hypothesis' in my head. If you follow some of my posts you'll see what I mean. I may sound like I don't take stuff seriously a lot of the time but what can I say that's just how I am haha. I'm like an enigma or something. I learned a little about the school of pragmatism by William James today in believe it or not, psychology class. He left his field in pyschology and eventually went into studying philosophy. I don't know much about the background of philosophy but I would definitely consider myself a philosopher at heart and would be interested in learning as much as possible.

If you're interested in philosophical works, I can recommend a few things.

Plato's Socratic Dialogues

Socrates' works in philosophy never survived; the Roman philosopher Boetheius, who is responsible for much of the translations of Plato and Aristotle from Greek to Latin, apparently died before Socrates' works were able to be compiled. As well as majority of the works of Plato and Aristotle. Thus, many insights into Socrates are available through the writings of his student, Plato, in the form of witty dialogues which usually have some sort of philosophical undertone. Although there's usually a roundabout way of finding a moral in typical Socratic-fashion.

Aristotle's Metaphysics

Undeniably a headache of a work.. Err.. I'll let you do your own research. It's actually supposed to be an instruction guide for a philosophy class - not the actual works on Metaphysics compiled by Aristotle in a serious academic fashion. The true work is lost forever.

Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre

A simple novel - coined as the Existentialist novel. I own it and highly recommend it.

The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli

A work of political treatise I picked up at fourteen. Although not strictly philosophical, it's an intriguing work of political-philosophy.

The Stranger by Albert Camus

Although not a philosopher or Existentialist, Camus wrote The Stranger with many underlying philosophical themes.

Such as being unfailingly honest, even to the point of being perceived as heartless or emotionless.

The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

Although also not a philosopher, Kafka demonstrated the rare ability to convey extreme themes of isolation and despair in this work.

Notes from the Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

A masterful work of art that has Existentialist themes.

Civilization and Its Discontents by Sigmund Freud

His last work, but one of his most interesting.. It highlights many psychological reasons; including intimate relationships and the concept of 'Eros' (love), for social groups banding together to create societies or hierarchies, governments; civilization in general, really. It's also a fairly quick read.

Candide by Voltaire

Witty and satirical, I found it a very enjoyable exposition on government.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche

Although a bit of a parable, it highlights the idea of the Ubermensch, or the 'super-man'.

Nietzsche realized man must reconcile with itself and learn to exist in absolute freedom with morals itself created, or man would find its own death by suicide. Nietzsche is a proponent of necessary Nihilism.. Unfortunately his works, especially Zarathustra, were used by Hitler and the Third Reich to illustrate the idea of a superior race, entirely misinterpreting Nietzche's works and defaming him.

Edited by Hatake Kakashi
  • Like 1

If you're interested in philosophical works, I can recommend a few things.

Plato's Socratic Dialogues

Socrates' works in philosophy never survived; the Roman philosopher Boetheius, who is responsible for much of the translations of Plato and Aristotle from Greek to Latin, apparently died before Socrates' works were able to be compiled. As well as majority of the works of Plato and Aristotle. Thus, many insights into Socrates are available through the writings of his student, Plato, in the form of witty dialogues which usually have some sort of philosophical undertone. Although there's usually a roundabout way of finding a moral in typical Socratic-fashion.

Aristotle's Metaphysics

Undeniably a headache of a work.. Err.. I'll let you do your own research. It's actually supposed to be an instruction guide for a philosophy class - not the actual works on Metaphysics compiled by Aristotle in a serious academic fashion. The true work is lost forever.

Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre

A simple novel - coined as the Existentialist novel. I own it and highly recommend it.

The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli

A work of political treatise I picked up at fourteen. Although not strictly philosophical, it's an intriguing work of political-philosophy.

The Stranger by Albert Camus

Although not a philosopher or Existentialist, Camus wrote The Stranger with many underlying philosophical themes.

Such as being unfailingly honest, even to the point of being perceived as heartless or emotionless.

The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

Although also not a philosopher, Kafka demonstrated the rare ability to convey extreme themes of isolation and despair in this work.

Notes from the Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

A masterful work of art that has Existentialist themes.

Civilization and Its Discontents by Sigmund Freud

His last work, but one of his most interesting.. It highlights many psychological reasons; including intimate relationships and the concept of 'Eros' (love), for social groups banding together to create societies or hierarchies, governments; civilization in general, really. It's also a fairly quick read.

Candide by Voltaire

Witty and satirical, I found it a very enjoyable exposition on government.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche

Although a bit of a parable, it highlights the idea of the Ubermensch, or the 'super-man'.

Nietzsche realized man must reconcile with itself and learn to exist in absolute freedom with morals itself created, or man would find its own death by suicide. Nietzsche is a proponent of necessary Nihilism.. Unfortunately his works, especially Zarathustra, were used by Hitler and the Third Reich to illustrate the idea of a superior race, entirely misinterpreting Nietzche's works and defaming him.

Very interesting. Appreciate the information. Interestingly enough, I actually agree with Nietzsche and that's kind of how I've been living my life as of lately, although I'm sure my beliefs will fluctuate and adapt to my growth as I age. Gonna do some research on all of this.

Very interesting. Appreciate the information. Interestingly enough, I actually agree with Nietzsche and that's kind of how I've been living my life as of lately, although I'm sure my beliefs will fluctuate and adapt to my growth as I age. Gonna do some research on all of this.

The best thing to do, and this is simply my advice, is to continue to adapt and grow with different ideas.

The more you expand your mind the more you will find yourself changing as an individual.

The thing is to not seek to conquer your fellow man with this growth, but instead your former self.

• Like 1

The best thing to do, and this is simply my advice, is to continue to adapt and grow with different ideas.

The more you expand your mind the more you will find yourself changing as an individual.

The thing is to not seek to conquer your fellow man with this growth, but instead your former self.

Couldn't agree more.

welcome to UM you will enjoy the subjects here im sure ..its an alladins cave of mystery and the best site on the web in my opinion x

welcome to UM you will enjoy the subjects here im sure ..its an alladins cave of mystery and the best site on the web in my opinion x

Appreciate that :) I'm sure I'll come to realize that on my own as well

Welcome to UM, where we encourage all interspecies relationships for the good of mankinds future.

Welcome to UM, where we encourage all interspecies relationships for the good of mankinds future.

Thank you sir

Welcome to the realm of freaks and geeks where we all paddle up a creek and speak of the bleak mystique...

LMAO thank you thank you. Just to let you guys know I'm thinking about changing my name, couldn't think of anything interesting at the moment I made this account rofl