Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earth is Growing!

Big Bad Voodoo

Im mean Universe is spreading. Maybe we are also spreading. I dont understand geologic process to argue about. But I do know history of plate tectonics. Like that means a lot!

If you don't understand something you should educate yourself untilyou do understand. The logical fallasy of this idea is so huge and based on such flawed understanding of basic physical processes that any grade school kid could tell you why it is wrong.

For you to admit that you don't understand geology and then to pronounce that you believe in an expanding earth and disbelieve in Global warming (based on a lackof understanding of basic science) has just destroyed any credibility you might claim for yourself in scientific discussions.

You have done this to yourself.

Br Cornelius

You sure are quick to brand me, I was just asking questions. Chill.

Your questions to me qualified as unbelievable lack of knowledge. I guess I didn't need to say it, but it doesn't hurt sometimes to tell someone their breath is unpleasant.

If you don't understand something you should educate yourself untilyou do understand. The logical fallasy of this idea is so huge and based on such flawed understanding of basic physical processes that any grade school kid could tell you why it is wrong.

For you to admit that you don't understand geology and then to pronounce that you believe in an expanding earth and disbelieve in Global warming (based on a lackof understanding of basic science) has just destroyed any credibility you might claim for yourself in scientific discussions.

Whats wrong with admiting that you dont understand something? I didnt said I believe in expanding earth I said it looks logic from video.

Who mentioned GW here? You loose yourself among threads and adressing it in wrong thread! You want to make this personal, you cant know how much I know about science.

Whats wrong with admiting that you dont understand something? I didnt said I believe in expanding earth I said it looks logic from video.

Who mentioned GW here? You loose yourself among threads and adressing it in wrong thread! You want to make this personal, you cant know how much I know about science.

The point is you present yourself as certain about an issue - when reading even a few of your comments regarding science shows that you are in no position to be certain about anything scientific. You really need to aquire a basic education in things scientific before you make a single comment regarding the subject, anything else makes you look ignorant.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

The point is you present yourself as certain about an issue - when reading even a few of your comments regarding science shows that you are in no position to be certain about anything scientific. You really need to aquire a basic education in thing scientific before you make a single comment regarding the subject, anything else makes you look ignorant.

Br Cornelius

Son, if you ever desire to discuss history, economy, psychology Im there for you. Also about philosophy which is not science but its important. And I can be benefical about Criminology but I intented to avoid it due personal matters!

Science isnt just Geology!

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo

I think there is a reference here to the flip that, as I recall, happened in the 1960s, between a scientific consensus that rejected continental drift theories as fringe to a consensus in its favor -- a flip that at the time astonished me at how quickly the community was persuaded by just a few papers.

It shows something of the workings of science. That the consensus can be wrong is the wrong conclusion -- that is something that is obvious anyway and no one denies. It's that when the evidence warrants, the consensus can change on a dime, but only when the evidence warrants.

• Like 1

Son, if you ever desire to discuss history, economy, psychology Im there for you. Also about philosophy which is not science but its important. And I can be benefical about Criminology but I intented to avoid it due personal matters!

Science isnt just Geology!

None of those subjects are science, they are social sciences or humanities - a very different thing.

Br Cornelius

None of those subjects are science, they are social sciences or humanities - a very different thing.

Br Cornelius

You see, every common sense person from above post can conclude who needs to educate yourself further. Thank you! :w00t::tu:

What is science and what is not is debatable: I think the things listed are scientific in some ways and not in others. They are "soft" sciences.

Soft sciences can best be described as theory dominated rather than evidence dominated since it is very difficult to collect Empirical evidence in support of the theories.

Br Cornelius

Which show that you two dont know what is science by any means!

Big Bad Voodoo

What then is science ?

Be careful - your talking to a qualified scientist.

Br Cornelius

What then is science ?

Be careful - your talking to a qualified scientist.

Br Cornelius

I doubt it.

Science is organized knowledge.

I doubt it.

Science is organized knowledge.

You doubt what exactly ?

Science is the application of the scientific method to arrive at knowledge with a 95% confidence that it is statistically valid.

• The scientific method is a way to ask and answer scientific questions by making observations and doing experiments.
  • The steps of the scientific method are to:
    • Ask a Question
    • Do Background Research
    • Construct a Hypothesis
    • Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
    • Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
    • Communicate Your Results

[*]It is important for your experiment to be a fair test. A "fair test" occurs when you change only one factor (variable) and keep all other conditions the same.

[*]While scientists study how nature works, engineers create new things, such as products, websites, environments, and experiences.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_scientific_method.shtml

Organizing knowledge falls far short of science, and most social sciences can never meet the criteria of the scientific method, though they may model their techniques on those of the hard sciences.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

You doubt what exactly ?

Science is the application of the scientific method to arrive at knowledge with a 95% confidence that it is statistically valid.

Br Cornelius

Yet you dont understand that Economy and History is science. HA!

I doubt you are scientist.

Yet you dont understand that Economy and History is science. HA!

I doubt you are scientist.

they are not, they are sets of theories which attempt to justify their conclusions through statistical analysis. They are not sciences and they are always taught seperately from science with economics departments and humaities departments.

I feel it is you who are showing your ignorance again.

Br Cornelius

they are not, they are sets of theories which attempt to justify their conclusions through statistical analysis. They are not sciences and they are always taught seperately from science with economics departments and humaities departments.

I feel it is you who are showing your ignorance again.

Br Cornelius

Only ignorant here is you. If you realy disire to learn I will teach you. But I doubt thats your intentions!

Your intentions are to discredit me. Which again and again, you failed to do it!

Only ignorant here is you. If you realy disire to learn I will teach you. But I doubt thats your intentions!

Your intentions are to discredit me. Which again and again, you failed to do it!

The natural sciences have always been held separate from the humanities. You declaration isn't fooling anyone here.

Br Cornelius

The natural sciences have always been held separate from the humanities. You declaration isn't fooling anyone here.

Br Cornelius

Cornelius, I doubt that you understand what science and scientist means at all. Your diploma doesnt make you scientist! Obviously.

Cornelius, I doubt that you understand what science and scientist means at all. Your diploma doesnt make you scientist! Obviously.

Repeating a statement which runs counter to standard definitions isn't proof of anything other than your own ignorance of those definitions.

I gave you a definition of what constitutes the scientific method - please explain how history can fit that definition.

An interesting article on why history can approach the scientific method - but never be in the same class of knowledge;

http://mrhoyestokwebsite.com/AOKs/History/Related%20Articles/Is%20History%20a%20Science.htm

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

Repeating a statement which runs counter to standard definitions isn't proof of anything other than your own ignorance of those definitions.

I gave you a definition of what constitutes the scientific method - please explain how history can fit that definition.

An interesting article on why history can approach the scientific method - but never be in the same class of knowledge;

http://mrhoyestokweb...y a Science.htm

Br Cornelius

Your defenition of science doesnt matter at all. Whats matter that all scientists agreed (already) that history and economy is science par excellence. Those who claim otherwise are simply not informed or lunatics or ignorants or all. May I ask you where are you from? Im mean, there is possibility that we argue about something which is matter of different school systems.

Your defenition of science doesnt matter at all. Whats matter that all scientists agreed (already) that history and economy is science par excellence. Those who claim otherwise are simply not informed or lunatics or ignorants or all. May I ask you where are you from? Im mean, there is possibility that we argue about something which is matter of different school systems.

Please supply a definitive reference to support your wild assertion. Please and then we can end this silly side issue.

Br Cornelius

Please supply a definitive reference to support your wild assertion. Please and then we can end this silly side issue.

Br Cornelius

Sure I will. Just can you tell me where are you from? If not I will proove to you and to Frankie boy my points. Just want to see in what direction should I extened my answer. Because theme is quite large. I suspect USA?

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo