Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Attitude towards Muslims hardening

Elfin

http://www.telegraph...poll-finds.html

Some 27% of the thousand 18 to 24-year-olds questioned said they did not trust them, while fewer than three in 10 (29%) thought Muslims were doing enough to tackle extremism in their communities.

A similar proportion of the young people polled (28%) said the country would be better off with fewer Muslims and almost half (44%) felt Muslims did not share the same values as everyone else.

The BBC Radio 1 Newsbeat survey was carried out by the pollsters Comres in June after the soldier Lee Rigby was murdered in the street in Woolwich, south east London, in May.

Despite its findings on the degree to which Muslims were mistrusted, it showed that young adults were more likely to agree (48%) than disagree (27%) that Islam is a peaceful religion.

They were also found to be divided over the question of whether immigration is good for the UK.

Around two fifths (42%) believe it is a good thing but more than a third disagree (35%), the survey showed.

Terror groups operating in foreign countries were held responsible for Islamophobia in Britain by 26% of respondents, while 23% blamed the media and 21% placed the blame on UK Muslims who have committed terrorist acts

Levels of distrust of other religious groups were lower, meanwhile.

Of the young adults polled, 16% said they did not trust Hindus or Sikhs, 15% said they did not trust Jews, 13% mistrusted Buddhists and 12% did not trust Christians

A recent YouGov poll found that 61% of people wanted a ban on burkas in Britain.

He has a sizeable following on Youtube.

• Like 1

That he is attacked so strongly, and with death threats, indicates to me that he may be onto something. He seems to tell some truths that for some are way too uncomfortable. I find it more instructive with these controvertialists to read what their detractors say about them, and often you find that what is being said about them is pretty much correct.

Edited by Kaa-Tzik
  • Like 3

Scientists say higher temperature makes people violent and angry. Think about Muslim anger from that angle. We are products of our environment.

Well when you look at what extremist Muslims do, I don't blame them for being distrustful. Trust is earned.

What softened up Vikings was their migration to more temperate regions. So...maybe Arab Muslims might rethink their religion and culture after a few generations.

BTW, hummus is good. :)

Some things you may not know about Muslims:

1. Most Muslims are Asian, not Arab.

2. Most Muslims live in secular democracies (not theocracies)

3. 4 out of 5 of the most populous (most people) Muslim majority countries have already elected a female head of state (president or prime minister)... add to this that these countries have only been representative democracies for about 50 years or so and compare to over 200 years of American democracy without a single female head of state. If my daughters had been born in a Muslim country instead of the US, they'd actually stand a higher chance of growing up to fill the highest position in the land.

Edited by Alaric

Alaric,

I have a hard time believing most if not all of what you have posted. The hardest thing for me to believe here, is that you are telling us, that all of the Middle East (except Israel) and at least a third of Africa are mostly Asian. Do I have this right? Will you please post where you have gotten this Data from? Just curious.

Edited by Ogbin

3. 4 out of 5 of the most populous (most people) Muslim majority countries have already elected a female head of state (president or prime minister)... add to this that these countries have only been representative democracies for about 50 years or so and compare to over 200 years of American democracy without a single female head of state. If my daughters had been born in a Muslim country instead of the US, they'd actually stand a higher chance of growing up to fill the highest position in the land.

If those Muslim countries are so good, why do they all want to come here?

• Like 1

Alaric,

I have a hard time believing most if not all of what you have posted. The hardest thing for me to believe here, is that you are telling us, that all of the Middle East (except Israel) and at least a third of Africa are mostly Asian. Do I have this right? Will you please post where you have gotten this Data from? Just curious.

http://en.wikipedia....slam_by_country

According to the Pew Research Center in 2010 there were 49 Muslim-majority countries.[10]Around 62% of the world's Muslims live in South and Southeast Asia, with over 1 billion adherents.[11] The largest Muslim country is Indonesia, home to 12.7% of the world's Muslims, followed by Pakistan (11.0%), India (10.9%), and Bangladesh (9.2%).[3][12] About 20% of Muslims live in Arab countries.[13] In the Middle East, the non-Arab countries of Turkey and Iranare the largest Muslim-majority countries; in Africa, Egypt and Nigeria have the most populous Muslim communities.[3][12]

The four most populous Islamic nations are Indonesia, Pakistan, India and Bangladesh.

As for women leaders:

http://en.wikipedia....ority_countries

• Like 1

You know the point that most Muslims live in secular democracies is correct, and it may be that most Muslims are tolerant, but I find all Muslim societies unpleasant and stifling, and most non-Muslim Asians have similar views or are and have for generations been anti-Muslim with rather deep hatreds festering everywhere against them and their arrogance and self-righteousness.

If those Muslim countries are so good, why do they all want to come here?

All of them? Seriously?

What's going on with all these islamophobe posts on here recently?

Alaric,

Actually, what was said sounds accurate from what I understand. From memory, Indonesia is the country with the highest Muslim population. And I think only 20% of Muslims can speakArabic, so if we take the entire Middle East as an Arabic speaking people, add in Arabic speaking Muslims scattered around the world and that still leaves 80% of Muslims who don't live in the Middle East.

On the matter of female Heads of State I can't comment on the accuracy of that since I'm not well versed in world political history. But I am reminded of Benazir Bhutto, who was the Pakistani Prime Minister. Australia just voted out our first female Head of State, and America still has to vote their first in, but the Muslim-majority Pakistan voted a woman in years ago.

• Like 3

The Muslim democracies of Eastern and South-Central Asia -- Pakistan, Bangladesh, Malaysia and Indonesia are all very populous. I think except for Malaysia they are the most populous countries of the Muslim world, and none of them is Arab. (There is also the small Muslim monarchy of Brunei).

• Like 1

The same feelings towards muslims today is being felt like it was during WWII towards the Japanese when they bombed Pearl Harbor.

Even after the war there was still bitterness towards Japanese-Americans even though they wern't born in Japan and signed up for

military service to serve their county. But as time went on, those bitter feelings faded. If the war on terrorism should end today, it would

take time but ill feelings towards muslims would also fade. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

What some misunderstand to be "typical Muslim" is actually Wahabbi Islam. Wahabbi is not typical Muslim as Westboro Babtist or IRA is not typical Christian. Wahabbis are trying to go back to the old school, except half the time they just make up what they think old school should be. It's actually a fairly new movement in Islam and can be likened to the recent rise in Christian fundamentalism.

Edited by Alaric
  • Like 3

What some misunderstand to be "typical Muslim" is actually Wahabbi Islam. Wahabbi is not typical Muslim as Westboro Babtist or IRA is not typical Christian. Wahabbis are trying to go back to the old school, except half the time they just make up what they think old school should be. It's actually a fairly new movement in Islam and can be likened to the recent rise in Christian fundamentalism.

Yeah, but unfortunately Wahabbis are sitting on the devil's urine, which is petroleum.

Arbenol68,

Thank you for the Wiki link. I will have to agree now that I see the numbers. Here are some other numbers I have pulled from Wiki.

As of 2010 there were about 1.6 billion muslims or about 23.4% of worlds population. 62% living in Asia-Pacific, 20% in Middle East-North Africa, 15% in sub-saharan Africa, 3% in Europe and 0.3% in the Americas.

• Like 1

The same feelings towards muslims today is being felt like it was during WWII towards the Japanese when they bombed Pearl Harbor.

Even after the war there was still bitterness towards Japanese-Americans even though they wern't born in Japan and signed up for

military service to serve their county. But as time went on, those bitter feelings faded. If the war on terrorism should end today, it would

take time but ill feelings towards muslims would also fade. Just my opinion.

It will probably take more than a few years to wipe out 1400 years of aggression and constant war against the peoples of Europe.

It will probably take more than a few years to wipe out 1400 years of aggression and constant war against the peoples of Europe.

That could be balanced out by the years of aggression and constant war BY the peoples of Europe.

I would comment that the wars of aggression in Asia have been almost entirely by Muslims against others, and since Asians are not "people of the book," the general practice has been massacre.

• Like 1

That could be balanced out by the years of aggression and constant war BY the peoples of Europe.

How long has that been going on for? The Crusades, for example, were an attempt to reconquer land that had previously been conquered by the Muslims.

• Like 1