Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

childhood to be extended

danielost

Scientests in enjgland has decided that childhood shuold be extended to twenty-five, because the brain is stfill developing until then. This was fox today.

Personally, I feel as long as your still learning your brain is still developing.

• Like 1

I'm still a child for another five years..

This is news to me.

Scientests in enjgland has decided that childhood shuold be extended to twenty-five, because the brain is stfill developing until then. This was fox today.

Yea that's the party's attitude I think -- at least I don't see anyone being invited to join the party until they are around that age. About thirty seems to be the most common.

As if folks aren't too immature as it is. Enough with these studies, UK. These youth-extension schemes, for grown men and grown women, are getting out of hand. It's just a matter of time before forty-year-old men are reclassified as drunken frat boys.

• Like 1

As if folks aren't too immature as it is. Enough with these studies, UK. These youth-extension schemes, for grown men and grown women, are getting out of hand. It's just a matter of time before forty-year-old men are reclassified as drunken frat boys.

No, they will remain forty year old drunks.

No, they will remain forty year old drunks.

As for the British study, you can say that a frog is a tadpole until you're blue in the face, but it won't make it so. We don't need a generation of infantilized twenty-year-old "children". It's laughable and ludicrous to say that a twenty-five-year-old individual is a literal child. Hence my comment about "adolescents" in their forties.

I really would restrict the franchise, had I the power, to some age like twenty-five. Maybe they are physically adults earlier, but they still lack judgment and experience. Of course that is not the only way I think the franchise needs restricting. The democratic ideal is part of the problem here.

I really would restrict the franchise, had I the power, to some age like twenty-five. Maybe they are physically adults earlier, but they still lack judgment and experience. Of course that is not the only way I think the franchise needs restricting. The democratic ideal is part of the problem here.

I couldn't agree less. Keep the age of majority at eighteen for all things, sixteen for some things. I'm excluding leadership positions while limiting it to things like alcohol consumption and the vote. We all learn from experience, so the rush to define adults by brain maturity (in the scientific sense) would cripple our society and produce a generation of infantilized people.

I couldn't agree less. Keep the age of majority at eighteen for all things, sixteen for some things. I'm excluding leadership positions while limiting it to things like alcohol consumption and the vote. We all learn from experience, so the rush to define adults by brain maturity (in the scientific sense) would cripple our society and produce a generation of infantilized people.

I'm only talking about the franchise. Children become adults in a process, not at an age, so giving them adult rights and responsibilities should happen in stages. The right to make contracts and to marry should be maybe 18, the right to drive maybe a little older, but the franchise should come last.

I'm only talking about the franchise. Children become adults in a process, not at an age, so giving them adult rights and responsibilities should happen in stages. The right to make contracts and to marry should be maybe 18, the right to drive maybe a little older, but the franchise should come last.

Most of us had a driver's license at sixteen when we were in high school, and we lived to tell the tale. I can understand some arguments that claim that it's too young to independently drive at that age, but your recommendation on the age restriction goes a bit too far, in my opinion. I'm not sure what you mean by "franchise", either. Since you're probably not referring to fast food restaurants, I take it that you mean state-sanctioned official adulthood, legally recognized by all locations and tiers of government.

In many places of the world where living is a lot harder, they consider the kids grown at 15 or 16. I personnally feel that you're an adult when you could have your own babies and successfully take care of them (given you have money?).

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

Most of us had a driver's license at sixteen when we were in high school, and we lived to tell the tale. I can understand some arguments that claim that it's too young to independently drive at that age, but your recommendation on the age restriction goes a bit too far, in my opinion. I'm not sure what you mean by "franchise", either. Since you're probably not referring to fast food restaurants, I take it that you mean state-sanctioned official adulthood, legally recognized by all locations and tiers of government.

I've heard that most people in Europe don't get a drivers license till they are over 20.

In many places of the world where living is a lot harder, they consider the kids grown at 15 or 16. I personnally feel that you're an adult when you could have your own babies and successfully take care of them (given you have money?).

I agree. If you're moderately successful while independent, you're an adult.

If you can support yourself, or support yourself and a child, you're a big boy.

I've heard that most people in Europe don't get a drivers license till they are over 20.

I just got my learner's permit today and I'm twenty. ;)

A lot depends on the environment. Space and traffic play roles, as do the layouts of roads and streets. That's why you'll find younger drivers in rural places than in urban ones. By the way, it sounds like Europe is our inverse when it comes to drinking/driving ages.

The franchise refers mainly to the right to vote, and includes the right to serve on juries and to hold public office.

What would the legal implications be for the parents of these "25 years old children" if this recommendation is adopted as a legal measure? I don't know about UK, but in continental Europe the age of becoming legally an adult is being constantly lowered, yet parents are still held responsible for their children's actions in some areas. There are some politicians (seeking to increase the number of voters) here who were for lowering the age from 18 to 16, one can imagine the resulting mess! My conclusion at the time was that these politicians have never been within 100 km from teenagers; but 25 years old? Why veer from one extreme to the other?

Younger people seem to be easily swayed by men on white horses; as you age you become more skeptical.

But don't listen to me -- I think elections are a farce anyway -- name recognition, handsomeness, presentation skills, image, irrelevant details about a person's history, money, more money, lots of money. These and various tricks such as party nomination control, gerrymandering, ballot stuffing, multiple voting, "discovered" packets of uncounted votes, last-minute scurrilous phone calls, etc. almost ad infinitum render the whole thing an exercise in fooling the public that they actually have a voice.

Using this standard, the adult age would very depending on the person, with ome never growing up.

Using this standard, the adult age would very depending on the person, with ome never growing up.

We have that nowadays too... no matter if we call certain people grown up or not.

It's about brain development, not the ability to have kids.

People under 25 should continue to wear pull ups and go to bed on time.

This study is probably going to be irrelevant soon anyways. Brain science is still fairly new.

We use to think that after you grew up the brain never changed. Now we know that your brain rewires throughout your whole life

We also use to think that we don't make new brain cells, but we found out that things like exercise sleep and meditation actually do.

I personally think they will learn that our brain actually "develops" throughout the majority of our life.

Younger people seem to be easily swayed by men on white horses; as you age you become more skeptical.

But don't listen to me -- I think elections are a farce anyway -- name recognition, handsomeness, presentation skills, image, irrelevant details about a person's history, money, more money, lots of money. These and various tricks such as party nomination control, gerrymandering, ballot stuffing, multiple voting, "discovered" packets of uncounted votes, last-minute scurrilous phone calls, etc. almost ad infinitum render the whole thing an exercise in fooling the public that they actually have a voice.

Would you rather we have no elections and let one group of people makes the decisions for everyone :innocent:

• Like 2

I have been wondering where obama got the age twenty-five, for allowing kids to remain on their parents insurance from.