Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shared Dreams

boiler74

I've been curious about something that happened to my mother and I when I was a pre-teen child. I'm hoping someone can provide some insight or at least point me in the right direction.

As a child, I experienced the same dream several times over a few months. In this dream, a masked man came into our house, stood at my Mom's side of the bed and in a robotic up and down motion, used an axe to chop at my Mom's body. Meanwhile, my father continued to sleep while this act was quietly accomplished.

After this dream, I apparently would sleepwalk down to my parent's bedroom and stand by my Mom while she slept, ensuring her safety. My Mom would awake, find me staring at her and then she would wake me up. Most often she could not convince me to return to my bedroom to finish the night but allowed me to sleep in an old Lazy-Boy chair off to the side. There I would sleep peacefully until the next morning.

Fast forward several years, I'm talking with my Mom over the telephone and we start discussing things that happened during my childhood. The subject of these dreams came up. My Mom became silent for a few minutes and then asked me if I wanted to know why those nights scared her so much. Of course I said sure. She then explained that on those nights, she had the exact same dream I just had and that's why she was so freaked out when she woke up to find that someone was actually beside her while she was in bed.

Is there any significance to this or were these occurrences just some random oddity that is unexplainable?

A big thank you to anyone who can provide insight / advice / answers.

boiler74

I've been curious about something that happened to my mother and I when I was a pre-teen child. I'm hoping someone can provide some insight or at least point me in the right direction.

As a child, I experienced the same dream several times over a few months. In this dream, a masked man came into our house, stood at my Mom's side of the bed and in a robotic up and down motion, used an axe to chop at my Mom's body. Meanwhile, my father continued to sleep while this act was quietly accomplished.

After this dream, I apparently would sleepwalk down to my parent's bedroom and stand by my Mom while she slept, ensuring her safety. My Mom would awake, find me staring at her and then she would wake me up. Most often she could not convince me to return to my bedroom to finish the night but allowed me to sleep in an old Lazy-Boy chair off to the side. There I would sleep peacefully until the next morning.

Fast forward several years, I'm talking with my Mom over the telephone and we start discussing things that happened during my childhood. The subject of these dreams came up. My Mom became silent for a few minutes and then asked me if I wanted to know why those nights scared her so much. Of course I said sure. She then explained that on those nights, she had the exact same dream I just had and that's why she was so freaked out when she woke up to find that someone was actually beside her while she was in bed.

Is there any significance to this or were these occurrences just some random oddity that is unexplainable?

A big thank you to anyone who can provide insight / advice / answers.

boiler74

Parents and children share connections. I have had a few shared experiences with my children. I'm not surprised actually I hear about it all the time.

• Like 1

A few years ago, my husband and I dreamt about an old friend, we had not even mentioned for years, on the same night. It was only in the morning that we discovered it. It could have been co-incidence but it got me thinking... especially as I had dreamt he was getting married (recently he announced his engagement, 3rd marriage that I really could not have seen coming). My husband sadly dreamt he was in a bad work accident. I hope his message was skewed and my was right (yay me!) and maybe tangled in his own anxieties. Anyway it was interesting...

Also I definitely have connections with my children that are hard to explain. They are getting older though and it's changing. Just a thought on the 'chopping' in your dream boiler74, maybe the masked man was actually part of you (the adult you maybe) cutting ties with your mother as you matured? I don't know, I'm no dream interpreter. It just popped into my head as I typed about my children.

Hi,

Yes your Mon's experience must have been quite powerful. To have that dream and wake up to see you like that.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I've never had anything like that. But me and my friend, when we were younger we would both dream about the same house. I was always on the inside and he was always on the outside. We talked about it one day and he described it PERFECTLY!

Also, two friends of ours dreamt of the same castle. She was always locked in the tower screaming for help and he was always trying to find the girl that was screaming.