Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Box of Jewels found on top of French Glacier

seeder

So there you are, gingerly finding footholds and working your way up to the top of a glacier... without expecting to see much, and - blam - there in front of you is a box. You open it, and its filled with emeralds, rubies and sapphires....WOW!

Hand it in or keep it? This guy handed it in...

Mysterious cache of jewels turns up atop French glacier

"It reads like the opening scene of an "Indiana Jones" movie.... A young man climbing a French glacier finds a cache of glittering jewels wrapped in bags stamped "Made in India" -- remnants, perhaps, of cargo from an ill-fated airliner called the Malabar Princess.

The best thing about it? This story is true.

It happened early this month on a glacier overlooking the southeastern French village of Chamonix, Albertville police Chief Sylvain Merly said Thursday.

The climber - who Merly said asked to remain anonymous - found the jewels inside a metal box atop the glacier. He turned them over to police in Bourg-Saint-Maurice on September 9.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/26/world/europe/france-mountain-jewels/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

• Like 5

The best thing about it? This story is true.

And that on the aircraft it is presumed to have come from was India's top nuclear scientist. There's quite some story here. Life outdoes fiction again.

• Like 1

They are mine I left them there for a reason. Give them back to me please. :yes:

• Like 4

I don't know about you, but I sure as hell would not remain anonymous so I could keep that treasure if nobody claimed it!!!

Edited by EnderOTD

I so would have kept that. It's not like some poor tourist dropped a box during a jaunt on a glacier

There is some hope in humanity after all. The anonymous guy did the right thing by handing them in. Good Karma for him! :tu:

The company that sent it on the plane is probably not even in existence anymore.

• Like 1

The company that sent it on the plane is probably not even in existence anymore.

And I'm sure was insured for (at least) the cost of the missing cargo...

If I found a wallet (or purse) on a street corner I would turn it in without hesitation... But something that has obviously been there for years, and is not of obvious historical value (like the lost jewelry of "Troy" or something)

then I would most likely keep it...

Saying it's good "karma" to turn it in (to whom?) is assuming that it wasnt my 'karma' to find it...

• Like 1