Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Western diet link to ADHD

Big Bad Voodoo

• 4 weeks later...

I myself was a 'Feingold Kid.' I was extremely hyperactive as a child. My parents saw something about the Feingold Diet on television, and they tried the diet on me. It worked very quickly, and I calmed down and started sleeping through the night. Dr. Ben Feingold observed that people who were sensitive to aspirin also had hyperactivity during their reactions to aspirin. He noticed the same kind of hyperactivity in hyperactive children, and connected it to naturally occurring salicylates in fruits and vegetables. The Feingold Diet tests your reactions to various fruits and vegetables, along with artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, and other chemicals in foods, and also wheat and dairy. This diet is still being used today. I'm not formally on it anymore myself, but I still avoid overdosing on candy. There's an enzyme called phenol sulfotransferase which some people cannot produce enough of, and when they eat certain foods, their bodies react with a variety of symptoms, including (but not limited to) hyperactivity and ADHD.

Edited by longhairlover
  • Like 1

Fascinating...I expect that we'll start to see more links between our "western" diet and common diseases we are seeing are on the rise. I like to think of my generation (born in the early 80's and up,) as the "guinea pig" generation. How many thousands of medications, additives and hormones and now, arguably, GMO products have we been exposed to that lack long-term studies? We are the long-term study...kind of a "put it on the market first and see what sticks" kind of mentality. Very dangerous, very scary.

• Like 2