Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Freaky Work Place

Daemon Knight

This is not proof in any way shape or form, it's simply experiences and stories about the place where I work.

I work in retail and I've been at the same place for 5 yrs, I'm a supervisor there so I tend to spend most of my time out back or in the office. When I first started there nothing weird ever happened, or if it did I never really noticed it. About three years ago a girl started working weekend shifts, and one day she came to me and told me the lights would go out on her in the toilets - naturally I went to investigate and found nothing wrong. There was no fault with the wiring and it didn't seem to happen to anyone else.

Out of curiosity I asked one of the managers if he had ever had lights go out on him, and he told me that one day he was in the warehouse (which is on the first floor) with another manager and they heard whistling. They assumed it was one of the other staff members in the lunch room, however the other staff member came out of the lunch room and asked them if they'd been whistling and what the tune was - suffice to say it freaked them all out. There was no-one else upstairs at the time.

This peeked my interest and I started to pay more attention to my surroundings, and because my position in the company had just recently changed then, was spending more and more time in the warehouse. The first strange occurrence I experienced was I was racking away some stock, out of the corner of my eye I could see what I thought was one of my colleagues coming out of the maintenance room. At the time we'd been keeping our Alcohol in there and I assumed he was taking stock, when I turned to say hi to him there was nobody there. I put it down to tiredness and my mind playing tricks on me.

A few nights later I was taking the rubbish out to the bins in the yard out the back of the shop. We have this massive peephole in the fire door so you can check to make sure there's no-one out there before you go out. No-one ever uses it. So I just casually threw the door open as always and was completely immobilised by the sight of a man standing in front of the door. Now, this has happened to me before because I've opened the back door to deliveries, so really it shouldn't have stunned me. This guy was wearing a pair of brown trousers, a jacket and trainers and the fact I remember that is odd because he was only in my line of vision for the blink of an eye. Now I don't know whether he actually disappeared or not because I don't remember him leaving, I just remember him not being there anymore.

We also sometimes hear the cages upstairs moving around just above the office, which is interesting because the room directly above the office is called 'the spirit room' or 'the bonds room' because it's where we keep the liqueurs and spirits; which means it makes no sense to be able to hear the cages shifting around. The warehouse is also on a slight slope, to the point where it isn't visible to the naked eye. For that reason we've always assumed the cages simply slide about due to that, though we've never actually seen any of them be in different places after hearing them -shrug-

Months later, the girl I mentioned before came down from the toilets and asked me if I had been upstairs. I told her I hadn't and she turned very pale informing me that she had seen me go past the toilets, now this is really weird because the women's toilets are on the second floor and they are the only thing up there so i would have no reason to go there. Suffice to say it freaked me out a little and I didn't want to go upstairs for the rest of the day xD

My final experience is the most chilling for me. I used to work late nights until quite recently and I would lock up the warehouse just before closing. It was never a nice job because our fire escape goes out on to an alley where a lot of crazy drunks hang out, so I never really looked forward to it. This particular day I went upstairs and then have no memory of walking through the warehouse to the lunch room. All i remember is being at the far door with the keys in my hand and realising I was completely in the dark, at which point I turned on the light and locked the door. I don't know why but that is the most frightening of all the experiences and even though the others had startled me I had always been able to look back and laugh about how silly I was. This one however still chills me to this day. I have no idea why I didn't turn the lights on, or why I don't remember walking through the warehouse and to the lunchroom.

Anyway those are just some things which have happened, whether they're ghostly or not I don't know but they are in the least pretty interesting.

EDIT: Typos ¬.¬

Edited by Daemon Knight
  • Like 2

This is not proof in any way shape or form, it's simply experiences and stories about the place where I work.

I work in retail and I've been at the same place for 5 yrs, I'm a supervisor there so I tend to spend most of my time out back or in the office. When I first started there nothing weird ever happened, or if it did I never really noticed it. About three years ago a girl started working weekend shifts, and one day she came to me and told me the lights would go out on her in the toilets - naturally I went to investigate and found nothing wrong. There was no fault with the wiring and it didn't seem to happen to anyone else.

Out of curiosity I asked one of the managers if he had ever had lights go out on him, and he told me that one day he was in the warehouse (which is on the first floor) with another manager and they heard whistling. They assumed it was one of the other staff members in the lunch room, however the other staff member came out of the lunch room and asked them if they'd been whistling and what the tune was - suffice to say it freaked them all out. There was no-one else upstairs at the time.

This peeked my interest and I started to pay more attention to my surroundings, and because my position in the company had just recently changed then, was spending more and more time in the warehouse. The first strange occurrence I experienced was I was racking away some stock, out of the corner of my eye I could see what I thought was one of my colleagues coming out of the maintenance room. At the time we'd been keeping our Alcohol in there and I assumed he was taking stock, when I turned to say hi to him there was nobody there. I put it down to tiredness and my mind playing tricks on me.

A few nights later I was taking the rubbish out to the bins in the yard out the back of the shop. We have this massive peephole in the fire door so you can check to make sure there's no-one out there before you go out. No-one ever uses it. So I just casually threw the door open as always and was completely immobilised by the sight of a man standing in front of the door. Now, this has happened to me before because I've opened the back door to deliveries, so really it shouldn't have stunned me. This guy was wearing a pair of brown trousers, a jacket and trainers and the fact I remember that is odd because he was only in my line of vision for the blink of an eye. Now I don't know whether he actually disappeared or not because I don't remember him leaving, I just remember him not being there anymore.

We also sometimes hear the cages upstairs moving around just above the office, which is interesting because the room directly above the office is called 'the spirit room' or 'the bonds room' because it's where we keep the liqueurs and spirits; which means it makes no sense to be able to hear the cages shifting around. The warehouse is also on a slight slope, to the point where it isn't visible to the naked eye. For that reason we've always assumed the cages simply slide about due to that, though we've never actually seen any of them be in different places after hearing them -shrug-

Months later, the girl I mentioned before came down from the toilets and asked me if I had been upstairs. I told her I hadn't and she turned very pale informing me that she had seen me go past the toilets, now this is really weird because the women's toilets are on the second floor and they are the only thing up there so i would have no reason to go there. Suffice to say it freaked me out a little and I didn't want to go upstairs for the rest of the day xD

My final experience is the most chilling for me. I used to work late nights until quite recently and I would lock up the warehouse just before closing. It was never a nice job because our fire escape goes out on to an alley where a lot of crazy drunks hang out, so I never really looked forward to it. This particular day I went upstairs and then have no memory of walking through the warehouse to the lunch room. All i remember is being at the far door with the keys in my hand and realising I was completely in the dark, at which point I turned on the light and locked the door. I don't know why but that is the most frightening of all the experiences and even though the others had startled me I had always been able to look back and laugh about how silly I was. This one however still chills me to this day. I have no idea why I didn't turn the lights on, or why I don't remember walking through the warehouse and to the lunchroom.

Anyway those are just some things which have happened, whether they're ghostly or not I don't know but they are in the least pretty interesting.

EDIT: Typos ¬.¬

When you say she "saw" you, it reminds me of how they say demons mock/mimic.

As you said, these things prove nothing, except a certain thrill we get from spooky experiences that tends to cause us to build on them.

Same thing happen at my work, I retail also. Except i knew instantly what it was. You have air conditioning ducts that go around the store. If my manager and associate were talking in the warehouse and i was at the other side of the store, i could hear parts of the conversation since early in the morning and late at night the air conditioner would be shut off.

Apologies to teanpa, but I wouldn't think your coworker seeing "you" upstairs was due to anything demonic "mocking" you...I imagine it was more along the lines of her seeing a male figure briefly/out of the corner of her eye and assuming it must be you (rather like you assuming the figure coming out of the maintentance room was a colleague).

The whistling is very interesting...has anyone heard it again? Is the tune the same? If it only happened the once, it's possible that it was just someone whistling somewhere else in the building, or even outside it (some whistles can be very piercing), that happened to carry into your upstairs through some acoustic trick.

When you hear the cages moving around in the "spirit room" (heh), is it brief or extended? I mean, does it sound like something briefly shifting, for a second or two, or are there protracted sounds of movement for several moments? If it's the former, it may be some other noise with a "soundalike" quality...if it's the latter, that's actually a rather classic haunting phenomenon (hearing sounds like someone moving things (like, say, chairs in a dining room) across the floor, but never finding anything displaced).

And I may have an explanation for the last incident, the one that disturbed you so. Forgive me if you've already considered this, but I've often found myself doing things on a kind of "autopilot." If I'm either thinking hard about something or in a frame of mind where I'm easily distracted, I've often found myself driving somewhere and arriving with no memory of the drive, or setting off for one room and winding up in another through sheer habit. Doing it without turning the lights on would be very unusual, of course, but if you know the route very well your body may have been comfortable enough to get you there while your mind was elsewhere.

A very interesting post nevertheless - thanks for sharing it.

Grammar edit...

Edited by Avallaine