Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did We Catch An Actual Spirit On Film?

Brian Topp

I’ve been on a lot of investigations with the Garden State Ghost Hunters. We’ve gotten a lot of audio clips, plenty of strange things in pictures, but videos are the “holy grail” of paranormal investigating. And just recently we got one that we simply can not explain.

Here’s the set up – we were asked to join in with local paranormal group, “Behind the Wall Paranormal” to investigate a local Ocean County property (sorry, but I have to be a bit vague to protect the owner’s privacy).

(Please note that this is a news article, I am the OP but am NOT the owner nor believe this is real, click link then watch the vid)

http://wobm.com/did-...atch-now-video/

Edited by Saru
Reduced copied text, added quote box
  • Like 3

Watched it like 6 times, creepy as hell, once you get a good look, you really get the chills going. I kept getting this feeling that it was gunna show its self if I just kept playing it.........

Good video, finger crossed something paranormal happens around me, but how would I really take it? Im thinking urination and a female scream lol

I don't see the white blob, pointed out in the "after comparison" shot, appear in the video.

I watched the video while looking at the "after" shot for comparison and never saw it.

What time do you see it in the video?

Edited by QuiteContrary

What it is? Hell, What is it?

On the right frame you see the guy standing still, he starts to lean over, what are we seeing is either his reflection OR a light source, like a car or a flash light.

• Like 2

I must admit , I didn't watch the vid yet. Just wondering what it is before I waste more minutes of my life that I can't get back.

Yeah it looks like a reflection from whoever is standing on that side of the camera.

• Like 2

Yep, it looks like a reflection. Pretty obvious.

• Like 1

On the right frame you see the guy standing still, he starts to lean over, what are we seeing is either his reflection OR a light source, like a car or a flash light.

I don't see how it could be a reflection since there's no window or glass in the video. In the article, the author says that the camera is pointed to a wall where the sheet rock had been removed, and the wooden beams are exposed.

As for what I think, I do admit that the video is intrigue, but I'm just not sure if it's real. This could easily be one of the investigators either stepping slightly into view or they're moving something into view (like a sheet or something like that).

Looks to me like there was just a light source off camera that one of them was blocking with his body. You can see his shadows moving in that spot throughout the video, and the wall only lights up when they move to get out of there.

• Like 2

Aw, when I made my post I hadn't realized you basically already said the same thing.

• Like 2

I see "it" now.

Why would you leave if you are indeed investigating?

Isn't this stuff they experienced what they'd expect to experience- voices, uneasiness, feeling of being touched, etc? (I gather they didn't see the white "thing" until they viewed the footage later?)

What do they think will happen to them if they stay?

Wouldn't you go back after viewing the footage if you were so sure you caught "something" paranormal and expand your investigation?

Or, if claiming your team does look for non-paranormal explanations, go back and figure out if you could recreate the footage of the white "thing" --before posting it somewhere? (And include all your findings when you reveal your footage)

This is part of what makes this stuff suspect, imo, when they seem more instigators than investigators.

I can understand fear, believe me, and we all have different thresholds. However, if you are an investigative team wouldn't it be beneficial to an investigation to have at least one or two members who aren't wired to run or never return when things like this happen?

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 2

I think one of the big problems with using this kind of tech (and I include IR, thermal and night vision in this as well) is that amateurs don't really understand how to interpret what they're seeing. I've read analysis of some of the Ghost Hunters more famous IR and Thermal hits by engineers and technicians who develop and work with this kind of equipment every day and they were able to tell instantly what the GHs were seeing - mostly reflections and various types of anomalies.

• Like 2

I don't see how it could be a reflection since there's no window or glass in the video. In the article, the author says that the camera is pointed to a wall where the sheet rock had been removed, and the wooden beams are exposed.

There will still be objects in the shot that would act as reflectors - such as nails or staples in the wood, etc.

• Like 1

There will still be objects in the shot that would act as reflectors - such as nails or staples in the wood, etc.

That's the most absurd thing I've ever read.

How on Earth would a tiny little nail/staple that's reflecting light create the ghost we're seeing. In the video, the ghost is moving around, that would mean either the nail/staple or the camera would have to be moving, otherwise the ghost would be completely still. A nail/staple reflecting light would look like a tiny little glinting dot, not this big, wispy-like blob.

It is an intriguing video. The motion and (if I interpret correctly) it seems to lean OUT of the actual window is most strange. I don't think reflections if natural and not artificial and manipulated by the video makers would cause such movement. Shadows are a possibility, deliberate or unnoticed. I have no idea whether it's supernatural or natural or manipulated as with most video evidence in the age of editing. I always judge the quality and clarity of the shape/activity to make up my mind for fakes and foul play.

That's weird since you'd think in a tech-mad gadget crazed world we'd have caught things everywhere by now. Never seen a clear, crystalline piece of evidence, which can understandably lead many to believe there's nothing out there. Personal experiences are far more fascinating though can only go off memory/sense recall and their interpretation. It's odd how when folks do see ghosts, which I believe does happen, they see such clear definitions or pieces of something (talking about orbs/part manifestations, yes which can 90% of the time be attributed incorrectly) yet barely anything that doesn't seem 'too good to be true' (artificial) has been brought back to the living via technology. If you believe in ghosts then this is a very important question, why is it so difficult?

Something within the mind that interacts with spirits/energy and we see them 'within' ourselves kinda imprinted on the world our brain organizes for us? It's very unlikely that those looking for activity experience it profoundly/clearly, which is peculiar. The vast majority of sightings are when folks least expect it. Not counting sleep paralysis experiences which I believe are the reason many associate 3am as 'ghost hour', subconscious is powerful. Mayhap we have to be in certain frames of mind or something we don't understand yet.

I see "it" now.

Isn't this stuff they experienced what they'd expect to experience- voices, uneasiness, feeling of being touched, etc? (I gather they didn't see the white "thing" until they viewed the footage later?)

Wouldn't you go back after viewing the footage if you were so sure you caught "something" paranormal and expand your investigation?

Or, if claiming your team does look for non-paranormal explanations, go back and figure out if you could recreate the footage of the white "thing" --before posting it somewhere? (And include all your findings when you reveal your footage)

This is part of what makes this stuff suspect, imo, when they seem more instigators than investigators.

I can understand fear, believe me, and we all have different thresholds. However, if you are an investigative team wouldn't it be beneficial to an investigation to have at least one or two members who aren't wired to run or never return when things like this happen?

This is something that drives me nuts with these 'investigators'. Visit once, make claims and then leave. The fact, to the best of my knowledge, that there is no real scientific method used only points to attention seeking. Grab some video, make some claims, post it on the net and then move on. So many claims of haunted locations and yet no ongoing studies to verify or dispel whether there is anything real involved.

That and using completely unverifiable tools to 'investigate' with (psychics for example).

• Like 3

As for what I think, I do admit that the video is intrigue, but I'm just not sure if it's real. This could easily be one of the investigators either stepping slightly into view or they're moving something into view (like a sheet or something like that).

As someone who has built structures within and outside of codes, I've never seen a crossmember in any modern construction.

I see "it" now.

The power of suggestion will consume anyone willing to listen to it.

It is an intriguing video. The motion and (if I interpret correctly) it seems to lean OUT of the actual window is most strange. I don't think reflections if natural and not artificial and manipulated by the video makers would cause such movement. Shadows are a possibility, deliberate or unnoticed. I have no idea whether it's supernatural or natural or manipulated as with most video evidence in the age of editing. I always judge the quality and clarity of the shape/activity to make up my mind for fakes and foul play.

That's weird since you'd think in a tech-mad gadget crazed world we'd have caught things everywhere by now. Never seen a clear, crystalline piece of evidence, which can understandably lead many to believe there's nothing out there. Personal experiences are far more fascinating though can only go off memory/sense recall and their interpretation. It's odd how when folks do see ghosts, which I believe does happen, they see such clear definitions or pieces of something (talking about orbs/part manifestations, yes which can 90% of the time be attributed incorrectly) yet barely anything that doesn't seem 'too good to be true' (artificial) has been brought back to the living via technology. If you believe in ghosts then this is a very important question, why is it so difficult?

Something within the mind that interacts with spirits/energy and we see them 'within' ourselves kinda imprinted on the world our brain organizes for us? It's very unlikely that those looking for activity experience it profoundly/clearly, which is peculiar. The vast majority of sightings are when folks least expect it. Not counting sleep paralysis experiences which I believe are the reason many associate 3am as 'ghost hour', subconscious is powerful. Mayhap we have to be in certain frames of mind or something we don't understand yet.

No one carries a camera that is recording all the time; and if you do, you're filming something that has been known about for a while.

As for the "reflections", they come from the background lighting. You can see in instances which side of the camera movement comes from. But, at the same time you can also see both people shadows and reflections in the little windows.

Memory and sense recall does and will degrade over time.And interpretation is up to those who have had experienced said "happening". But interpretation is different for everyone. And when it comes to "orbs" I cannot define said "orbs" as evidence of the other side. I can agree that people can and will see things; as well as, be able to describe things they have no ready knowledge of. Where true cases of the other side are concerned.

I can agree with being in a certain mind frame to witness or feel things like this. But why would you answer your own question?

Hi folks!

Justin Louis here, from 92.7 WOBM. I came across this discussion from our web referrals. First of all, I appreciate the spirited discussion (pun intended), and I agree, it's definitely a weird piece of evidence. I figured I'd take a few minutes to address some of the comments.

First, I can tell you that the video is absolutely not a hoax. Ocean County Paranormal, the Garden State Ghost Hunters, and Behind The Walls are all respected local groups that have well earned reputations. We're not in this to get our own TV shows or to get famous. We're simply searching for "truth" like most of you are.

In reference to the location - Behind the Walls has investigated this location on a number of occasions. They invited OCP along to share their expeirences with us and to get some outside opinions on what might be going on. This was not a case of "one and done". In fact we have been back since this video was captured. This location almost never disappoints.

The specific room - This is an upper floor room that is currently not in use. Hence, the exposed studs and lack of sheet rock. The wall that the video is shot towards is a wall with no drywall, so you have the exposed studs and the interior sheetrock - no windows, mirrors, metal, or other reflective surfaces. We were also shooting in the dark, with the full spectrum camera's IR as the "light" source.

The equipment - as many of you probably know, full spectrum cameras "see" infrared light, which is why we use the IR light to illuminate the video. You can see during the video that there are times that the IR lights are blocked by someone stepping in front of it or moving near it. But those shadows show up on film as being dark. The light objects are "something" that the IR would have illuminated, not something that would have blocked out the light source. Again, there are no reflective surfaces on that wall, so there really isn't anything there that a light source would have reflected off of. And, of course, we do practice "good ghost hunting etiquette" - dark shirts, etc to avoid reflections off of ourselves.

My conclusion - frankly, I don't know! I'm the skeptic of the group and this video creeps me out! To me it almost looks like "someone" is peeking out to see what's going on, and then retreating. I was present when the video was shot and I can tell you that the only living people present were three of us - myself, the investigator who's leg you see in the shot, and one other investigator who was standing with me behind the camera.

Again, I'm a skeptic myself so I'm hesitant to come out and declare that we caught a spirit on film (which is why I worded the article headline as a question), but I certainly have no easy explanation for what we got.

Like I said, I'm glad we could inspire a good, spirited debate with a number of different theories. You're obviously all passionalte and interested in this topic, and I appreciate the fact that we could get a conversation going.

I'm more than happy to address any other questions, thoughts, or comments that you may have,

Regards,

Justin Louis

92.7 WOBM, Toms River, NJ

Hello, I am a skeptic, Please understand that i have been told on numerous occasions that i have a cold personality and I hold facts firmly, please try to keep an open mind what you read below.

This is our problem Justin Louis, from 92.7 WOBM, Can I call you Justin? You can say they aren't Hoaxing which is fine and dandy but it doesn't mean that you can do discredit user error, lack of equipment knowledge and them only been doing this a few times since they started.

The problem is that there is no mutiliple camera angles, there is no photo of the area that we are seeing to give us an understand on what we are seeing.

So many times I have seen people post this claims of EVPs, catching ghost and they never recap what happening in that room. Where each team member, what were they doing, what were they holding or using, were they saying any thing etc.

Let's be blunt, How do we know that some one wasn't using a device with a light source, granted yes it may be unintentional but i feel it is a valid question since i have so many times seen people post evidence of their shadow, a fellow member, light reflection, car lights. Many times people forget what they were doing that time since they been walking around, tired and figity. I had one person said he caught an EVP, When we listen it was his own voice whisper how cold he was.

I hate to sound like that guy but, Was it cold? the video almost looks like moisture and knowing a house with it's walls pulled down, cold air and even moisture can fog up the camera and evapourate.

You claim you caught other evidence at that place, may you please show us.

Edited by Brian Topp
  • Like 1