Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Will Israel Strike?

and-then

Netanyahu has long said that an Iranian bomb is an existential threat to Israel. Obama has agreed but has restrained Israel from acting - for very good reasons. But now that Obama has obviously decided to go the way of Syria on this issue will Bibi finally decide to go his own way?

What would be some of the repercussions if Israel struck Iran's nuclear sites? If Iran is left to it's own course?

Well, since the Iranian Bomb is itself an existential question at the moment, we shall just hope that all this remains a hypothetical question. What would be some of the repercussions if Israel struck Iran's nuclear sites? America would look the other way, since it'd be perfectly OK for Bibi to strike at whoever he wanted, since it's only Mad and Evil leaders that are any danger to peace and stability.

Netanyahu has long said that an Iranian bomb is an existential threat to Israel.

Well, there's your problem right there. The premise underlying the whole rationale is unsubstantiated speculation.

• Like 2

Not that I claim to know much about nuclear fallout from a strike, but that would be one of my initial concerns. Would striking any such facility lead to widespread (or even localized) nuclear fallout (assuming there is nuclear material present):?

• Like 1

Suppose Assad had said that israel's possession of the Bomb was an existential threat to Syria; would that be a different kettle of fish? :innocent:

• Like 2

Not that I claim to know much about nuclear fallout from a strike, but that would be one of my initial concerns. Would striking any such facility lead to widespread (or even localized) nuclear fallout (assuming there is nuclear material present):?

it's been done before, Israel took out Syria's reactor a few year's back, but I think they hadn't actually fired it up yet, but yes, surely "taking out", in that wonderfully macho phrase beloved of Leaders, a working reactor would just cause another Chernobyl.

it's been done before, Israel took out Syria's reactor a few year's back, but I think they hadn't actually fired it up yet, but yes, surely "taking out", in that wonderfully macho phrase beloved of Leaders, a working reactor would just cause another Chernobyl.

Apples and oranges. Taking out one single site in Syria next door is an entirely different thing from taking out the massive, strongly armoured, and widely distributed Iranian nuke program.

Much as the anti-Israel crowd likes to paint Israel as some sort of military superpower, they will not take out Iran´s nuke program for the simple reason that they can not.

And even if they tried, the current American White House crew would sabotage their attempt by alerting the Iranian authorities.

So this is one particular myth that you can bury.

Edited by Zaphod222

Well, since the Iranian Bomb is itself an existential question at the moment, we shall just hope that all this remains a hypothetical question. What would be some of the repercussions if Israel struck Iran's nuclear sites? America would look the other way, since it'd be perfectly OK for Bibi to strike at whoever he wanted,

Complete and utter BS. Obama has made it perfectly clear on which side he is, and that is not Israel`s side.

Remember the last time Israel`s military had come up with a possible attack plan by using Azerbeijan airfields? The moment that news reached the White House, Obama made sure to trumpet it around the world, so that the Iranian mullahs would be alerted. And they were.

Fat chance that Barrack Hussein will allow an an attack on Allahs bomb program in Iran. You guys should really stop drinking that cool aid that is spouted on islamist and leftist propaganda sites.

• Like 1

Suppose Assad had said that israel's possession of the Bomb was an existential threat to Syria; would that be a different kettle of fish? :innocent:

All the islamists and leftist loonies keep saying exactly that, but that does not make it true. Israel did not violate the NPT to build its nuke, and Israel has NEVER threatened to wipe another country off the map.

Take your stupid one-bit slogans back to whatever dank hole you got them from.

All the islamists and leftist loonies keep saying exactly that, but that does not make it true. Israel did not violate the NPT to build its nuke, and Israel has NEVER threatened to wipe another country off the map.

Dear oh lord, you're very angry, aren't you? But you don't at all resort to over the top rhetoric, i see, which is good, at least.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh

and Israel has NEVER threatened to wipe another country off the map.

Neither did Iran as I am aware,misquoted by the US media.

Oops there I go again being all Islamist and left wing. :tsu:

Edited by shaddow134
  • Like 2

Quite the red-herring there, Zaphod.

Israel isn't party to the NPT, so can't violate a treaty it's never signed. That doesn't negate from the point the Colonel was making.

As for...

...Israel has NEVER threatened to wipe another country off the map.

...Israel bases its territorial status on scriptural sources. Since those sources also reference Israel indeed "wiping other nations off the map" it can be fairly claimed they have not only made that threat, but carried it out.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 3

I think we should all be far more concerned about a country that has nukes and is dangerously unstable, Pakistan.

Pakistan seems to be held in check by India for the present, though it's possible their Islamist tendencies might someday lead them to supply a weapon to a splinter group. Nuclear materials are traceable to their source of fuel though and if a device was traced back to them then Islamabad would be a glowing ember within a week of the event. I think Israel will strike ONLY if the rhetoric Netanyahu has been engaged in for so long is actually held to be true by the Israelis. If it is only bluster being used to push the US into doing the job for them then things will quieten down and nothing will happen. But if the Israelis actually feel their existence is threatened I believe they could not only strike alone, they could do serious damage to Iran's program - and wreak havoc in the region if counter attacked by Hizballah and Hamas.

The point of the post is to explore what repercussions would follow. I think a regional war would occur with massive losses to southern Lebanon, Syria and even Egypt if they got involved. Israel would suffer extensively as well. Thousands of deaths probably. But Iran and the world would be served notice that Israel has every intention of staying in the neighborhood.

Quite the red-herring there, Zaphod.

Israel isn't party to the NPT, so can't violate a treaty it's never signed. That doesn't negate from the point the Colonel was making.

As for...

...Israel bases its territorial status on scriptural sources. Since those sources also reference Israel indeed "wiping other nations off the map" it can be fairly claimed they have not only made that threat, but carried it out.

The state of Israel came into existence due to the tinkering of international consensus. They expanded their territories because their new neighbors openly attempted to "push them into the sea" If those neighbors try it again, Israel will become even larger. At least, that has been the pattern.

Open thread. Read Islamist and left wing loonies in one sentence and it hasn't even reached 2 pages. Didn't take long for the thread to derail.

Zionism revolves around those scriptures. Any Israeli Zionists will be all for that. Much like any Iranian Islamic extremist would be for removal of Israel. The solution here is to not directly attack one country or the other. But to remove these extremists from both sides, or at least, separate them from any influential position or one that gives them control of the countries direction.

• Like 2

Open thread. Read Islamist and left wing loonies in one sentence and it hasn't even reached 2 pages. Didn't take long for the thread to derail.

Zionism revolves around those scriptures. Any Israeli Zionists will be all for that. Much like any Iranian Islamic extremist would be for removal of Israel. The solution here is to not directly attack one country or the other. But to remove these extremists from both sides, or at least, separate them from any influential position or one that gives them control of the countries direction.

How does one remove the extremists? I mean it sounds simple enough but aren't they what the whole conflict comes down to in a nutshell, worldwide? And it's my thread - I put the idea out there for discussion but the first few comments failed to address it anyway so the point is more about discussion than boundaries - add your input or ignore it.

How does one remove the extremists? I mean it sounds simple enough but aren't they what the whole conflict comes down to in a nutshell, worldwide? And it's my thread - I put the idea out there for discussion but the first few comments failed to address it anyway so the point is more about discussion than boundaries - add your input or ignore it.

I think the solution to that is simply through removing the black mask from each others faces and interacting as people. Disintegration the us and them mentality they both have. Which certain humanitarian efforts seem quite successful in that aspect.

Extremism exists through closing one off to free thought. You need to erode away those systems.

In regards to the whole nuclear weaponry. As soon as you acquire them you instantly join this world club. You can guess who and what this club involves.

I'd heard that the new chap was rather less of an extremophile than his predecessor; are we trying to paint him as Evil already just because that's what we want to continue to believe because we always need to have an enemy to hand, it seems?

I'd heard that the new chap was rather less of an extremophile than his predecessor; are we trying to paint him as Evil already just because that's what we want to continue to believe because we always need to have an enemy to hand, it seems?

Depends on whether we or the Americans need to make a quick pound (or dollar) by selling lots of weapons.

As we've discussed in the past, Israel has no capability to illegally shut down Iran's legal nuclear program. If they launch these airstrikes as they've been terroristically threatening to do for many years now, they will do superficial damage at best and probably receive considerable losses flying over Iranian air defenses for their trouble.

• Like 1

He bragged in 2005 of building Natanz enrichment while negotiating with the Europeans. It's up to you who you think of as evil, Col, but an Iranian bomb is simply a matter of time unless they are physically deterred from one. It will be kind of difficult to hate on Israel when the Mullahs decide to hold the strait of Hormuz hostage at some point.

As we've discussed in the past, Israel has no capability to illegally shut down Iran's legal nuclear program. If they launch these airstrikes as they've been terroristically threatening to do for many years now, they will do superficial damage at best and probably receive considerable losses flying over Iranian air defenses for their trouble.

The IDF ran deep into Syria and bombed a budding nuke reactor to rubble, left and were back outside Syrian airspace before they were detected. The Iranians use the same type of air defense radars and equipment - or did. General consensus is that Israel could not destroy Iran's entire nuclear manufacturing industry but could cripple it severely - at a great cost. Raises the question of why anyone would risk such repercussions unless they REALLY feared annihilation. Perhaps they will try and live with an Iranian bomb. If the mullahs decided to gin one up someday soon it will be almost comical to watch the Europeans and Saudis crapping their robes when something MIGHT have been done to stop it.

Israel seem to like to be the main power out east, I think they probably will try there hardest to make Iran look like the enemy to benefit themselves. I dont know much about Iran tbh, but for any country to not invade another in nearly 220 years with war constantly all around them, I really doubt they want WMD, its possible but unlikely,

I hope Israel try to attack Iran & get crushed by the rest of the world, as im bloody sick of Israel with all there s**t,

Saw on sky news today Israel compares Iran to 50 north koreas, yeah right!! They getting as bad as the US now invading countries for WMD w/o evidence eg. Iraq.

US also wanted to bomb the s**t outta Syria too as they found the excuse w/ nerve gas. Thankfully Russia stepped in w/ a more civilised way to sort the issue. Which gave obama no choice but to back down after all his ranting,

Back on topic Iran is not the problem in the east, Israel is definitely the problem, or as someone else already said watch out for pakistan

• Like 1

Israel seem to like to be the main power out east, I think they probably will try there hardest to make Iran look like the enemy to benefit themselves. I dont know much about Iran tbh, but for any country to not invade another in nearly 220 years with war constantly all around them, I really doubt they want WMD, its possible but unlikely,

I hope Israel try to attack Iran & get crushed by the rest of the world, as im bloody sick of Israel with all there s**t,

Saw on sky news today Israel compares Iran to 50 north koreas, yeah right!! They getting as bad as the US now invading countries for WMD w/o evidence eg. Iraq.

US also wanted to bomb the s**t outta Syria too as they found the excuse w/ nerve gas. Thankfully Russia stepped in w/ a more civilised way to sort the issue. Which gave obama no choice but to back down after all his ranting,

Back on topic Iran is not the problem in the east, Israel is definitely the problem, or as someone else already said watch out for pakistan

Syria is in the middle of self immolation, Jordan is about a step away from dumping their King, Lebanon could go bad at a moment's notice, Iraq is in the middle of a low grade shia/sunni civil war but ISRAEL (the only democracy in the region) is the problem? I suppose you think that if they just stopped..whatever... the region would be all better?

If Israel are so good why were they attacking ships providing aid to the people of war. Ships w/ no weapons just medical aid, food & other supplies. Thats just one example. They love having power, just because they re Americas puppets dosent give em the excuse to attack anyone they want

• Like 1