Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Domestic cats are 95% tiger

UM-Bot

Researchers have succeeded in sequencing the genome of several species of endangered big cats.

Cat lovers might be forgiven for thinking that their beloved pet cats are far removed from their larger and more fearsome cousins, but amazingly domestic moggies have been found to share up to 95. 6% of the same DNA as tigers, a species from which they diverged 10. 8 million years ago.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/255493/domestic-cats-are-95-tiger

• Like 1

Nah...mine are 150% 'lazy b****r'!

• Like 1

And, humans and chimps can have 95% to 98.5% similar DNA depending on which nucleotides are counted and which are excluded. I, nevertheless, don't consider myself much of a tree hanger.

• Like 1

My moggies have gained a new respect from me, at least until the next time they annoy me.

• Like 3

I should explain this to my mother's cat, Sammy. Sammy thinks he is a dog. He'll sleep on the dog's bed. Both of my mother's dogs will groom Sammy, in turn Sammy will groom the dogs by combing their tails with his claws or spitting and licking their fur. And Sammy likes to eat (steal) dogfood from each of the dog's bowl.

He refuses to hunt for mice (that task goes to the other cat, who is an excellent huntress) When either of the dog's makes an alert bark, Sammy will run into the front room and meow at the door.

Most often what is unexplainable is the behaviour of our beloved furry friends. However, it is fun to try to figure it out all as to why they do the questionable, yet entertaining antics they show us!

:tu:

Edited by Asadora
  • Like 2

There are times when my cat looks at me as if to say, "If I were 40lbs heavier, you'd be lunch".

• Like 2

"Other findings included the identification of the various genes that make the big cats big"

Oh great, here we go, now a commercial market will appear to breed exotic large domestic cats the size of retrievers.

• Like 1

"Other findings included the identification of the various genes that make the big cats big"

Oh great, here we go, now a commercial market will appear to breed exotic large domestic cats the size of retrievers.

Looks like they've already started.....

9abfe181-fb20-4c65-b7f7-07d9091d2388_zpscec5f2fb.jpg

• Like 1

A bit miss-leading. All living things on Earth share most of their DNA. It's only a small percentage that makes the difference :P

Edited by Finity
  • Like 1

Hardly shocking, aside from the obvious things like size, since they have nearly the same general body plan. In fact they say that if you were to skin a tiger and a lion you would be hard pressed to identify which animal was which. There are subtle differences (i.e. the Cheetah does not have retractable claws, and the Serval has very long legs) but this would be no more surprising than to say equines or canines have roughly 95% the same DNA when comparing the domestic horse and dog to wild horses and wild dogs and wolves.

Using a little gene manipulation perhaps we can produce a house cat with Smilodon's choppers! Nice kitty........

A bit miss-leading. All living things on Earth share most of their DNA. It's only a small percentage that makes the difference :P

True. From what I've heard, we share 50% of our DNA with bananas. Insert your own joke here ....

Looks like they've already started.....

9abfe181-fb20-4c65-b7f7-07d9091d2388_zpscec5f2fb.jpg

Good God! I'd like to see the original picture that was uploaded to photobucket. I'm having a hard time believing it's genuine.

• Like 1

Good God! I'd like to see the original picture that was uploaded to photobucket. I'm having a hard time believing it's genuine.

Well, real photo or not, there are some really big cats. According to the website "Cat World", "Himmy" of Cairns, Australia is the heaviest recorded domestic cat at 21.3 kg or 46.8 lbs. That's a lot of kitty.

Well, real photo or not, there are some really big cats. According to the website "Cat World", "Himmy" of Cairns, Australia is the heaviest recorded domestic cat at 21.3 kg or 46.8 lbs. That's a lot of kitty.

That was an extremely obese cat...not "big" by any standard...

It's real that is a Main coon kitty, a large species of Cat. I want one! They are related to the Norwegian Forest cat.

Meow, rowwwrrr!!

I used to love watching my 2 cats hunt their "kill" in unison... such teamwork until it was time to decide who gets the sunny spot by the window, or who gets the human mommy's lap. Definitely "tigers" :D

Edited by Lava_Lady

loved the snow leopard pix at the start of the story.

I have always wondered why small cats are able to be domesticated while the bigger cats can not be. I would love to have a snow leopard as an animal companion. ( They are wild and I am smart enough not to try but I would still love it. they are beautiful.)

loved the snow leopard pix at the start of the story.

I have always wondered why small cats are able to be domesticated while the bigger cats can not be. I would love to have a snow leopard as an animal companion. ( They are wild and I am smart enough not to try but I would still love it. they are beautiful.)

Are you talking about this guy?

1498_144995684.jpg?w=360&h=240&crop=1

He's a Siberian White Tiger, according to the caption in the article.

Unless I missed some other pics. :)

Are you talking about this guy?

1498_144995684.jpg?w=360&h=240&crop=1

He's a Siberian White Tiger, according to the caption in the article.

Unless I missed some other pics. :)

I don't know about Siberian, I am not That good at Iding tigers, but the above cat is definitely a white tiger and no he isn't what I was talking about when I read the UM home page story this thread was linked to / started by there was what looked to me like a snow leopard at the top of the story they looked very different from white Tigers, at least to me.

the cubs in the post above this one are snow leopards, and they both look annoyed

Edited by mysticwerewolf