Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient Kingdom Discovered in Iraq

Big Bad Voodoo

http://www.livescience.com/40051-ancient-kingdom-discovered-in-iraq.html

In the Kurdistan region of northern Iraq archaeologists have discovered an ancient city called Idu, hidden beneath a mound.

Cuneiform inscriptions and works of art reveal the palaces that flourished in the city throughout its history thousands of years ago.

• Like 2

A settlement does not make a city.

A city does not make a settlement.

I wish these stupid journalists would stop sensationalize Archaeological discoveries with misleading headlines.

Else, a good find.

• Like 2

I wish these stupid journalists would stop sensationalize Archaeological discoveries with misleading headlines.

Else, a good find.

Spartan they are not stupid. They are smart and clever and educated. They learn on their colleges to wrote like this. To attract people.

• Like 2

Well they always refer to that area as the birthplace of civilization, so I guess its not terribly surprising. Still neat though! It'll be interesting to see what else is uncovered.

• Like 1

i would imagine there is a lot more to be found there now the archaeologists have access. Will be interesting to see what else they uncover.

• Like 1

Spartan they are not stupid. They are smart and clever and educated. They learn on their colleges to wrote like this. To attract people.

Exactly. Because, let's face it, the truth doesn't sell very well.

cormac

• Like 2

Exactly. Because, let's face it, the truth doesn't sell very well.

cormac

Imagine headline: Bricks dicovered in Iraq

I doubt someone would open that link!

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo
  • Like 2

Else, a good find.

But it may be a city. Some definitions of city are defined as a lrage town or populous place. Of course "large" is different depending on the era.

From the link:

The city thrived between 3,300 and 2,900 years ago, said Cinzia Pappi, an archaeologist at the Universität Leipzig in Germany. At the start of this period, the city was under the control of the Assyrian Empire and was used to administer the surrounding territory. Later on, as the empire declined, the city gained its independence and became the center of a kingdom that lasted for about 140 years, until the Assyrians reconquered it.

Assyrian. Not so old, really.

There are sites in the region that are 3,000 years older. And several in the area that are a couple of thousand years older.

Harte

Big Bad V',that'd work for me I'd still be intrigued but point well put. Infairness they may have found one small part of a vast area of "bricks",well, a settlement/city,it's early days yet.

Looking at the comments on the linked article I see some loony has already managed to asscociate Abraham, the ark of the covenant and the return of Jesus to this site. Predictable I guess...

Edited by Kaa-Tzik
  • Like 1

Well they always refer to that area as the birthplace of civilization, so I guess its not terribly surprising. Still neat though! It'll be interesting to see what else is uncovered.

Yes, but these days the cradle of civilization seems more like a graveyard.

What? :rofl::lol:

I'm sure there were far fewer deaths, since they had to work up a better excuse than "god told me to."

--Jaylemurph

I'm sure there were far fewer deaths, since they had to work up a better excuse than "god told me to."

--Jaylemurph

Then tell me when theocracy and religion developed since far as I know from day one humans have had beliefs.

--Jaylemurph

Those fewer deaths couldn't possibly have been a result of fewer people on the planet and less access to one another due to transportation constraints right?

You throw 1 million people in a city back then even without religion and people would be killing each other with rocks and clubs.

Religion is just one of the many reasons humans kill one another and in today's society its not even in the top ten reasons.

• 3 weeks later...

so very true.

Only in the feeble minds of the ignorant.

Please note that I'm not claiming that religion is a civilizing force, though some do.

Harte

• Like 1