Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What does one Do, in Heaven?

Jodie.Lynne

I want it to be like traveling through the deep field Hubble photographs. Perhaps help create stars, or paint nebulae. It's gotta be grand, right?

I want it to be like traveling through the deep field Hubble photographs. Perhaps help create stars, or paint nebulae. It's gotta be grand, right?

You can do that without being dead. I once held a galaxy in my hand ( well more like held it floating above my hand and manipulated it like an iPhone image) and rotated to get different perspectives. It was really cool and unforgettable.

• Like 1

Perhaps, as one 'approach' to heaven, we should consider seriously the fact that "infinity" and "eternity" are not synonyms. That's one reason I quoted the 'Talking Heads' song "heaven" above. It was anything but flippant.

"Infinity" is primarily a scientific, mathematical term. "Eternity" is a theological and, if Hallmark, Inc. is to be believed, a poetic concept. Christians don't speak of "infinite life," but rather of "eternal life." "Infinite" implies a quantifiable, if not measurable, state of constant temporality. "Eternal" implies the suspension or supersession of time and the realization of an essential state of being; it does not suggest continuous or repetitive activity, but rather timelessness. Of course we humans approach this idea in the present only tangentially, partially and provisionally (for the majority of Christians, through Word and Sacrament, most clearly in the Eastern Orthodox tradition). For Christians, the notion of eternal life is apprehended (not comprehended or realized) through faith.

This is where the music begins.

Edited by szentgyorgy
  • Like 1

Well since if it is possible to simulate the universe then simple probability says we are almost certainly in a simulation, not that that would matter much unless we are involved in the simulation and when we die we wake up and unplug ourselves and stretch and say, "uninteresting simulation, have you got something less puzzling?

Could be true. However, if all this is a simulation, and we are simulations, would not our personal simulation just cease to exist when we die? We would just be deleted from the simulation.

If the simulators exist in the 'real' universe, when they die they may go the heaven, but we just evaporate in a puff of heat. (When we delete a file on our computer its existence is converted to heat energy that drifts away and warms the inside of the computer case.)

Heaven would bring our deepest longing, often hidden beneath many of our endeavors to find happiness and peace but often fail. No matter what we gain or acquire it is often not what we thought when we get it. Infatuation can give some insight I believe into what heaven would be. We get overwhelmed when we fall in love, but after a while it drops and then perhaps the real relationship starts. However the experience points to our seeking something deep and profound, heaven is finding that, but it grows and deepens for an eternity. God is infinite, we are finite, so we have an infinite ability to grow in love, which is heaven.

Edited by markdohle

Heaven would bring our deepest longing, often hidden beneath many of our endeavors to find happiness and peace but often fail. No matter what we gain or acquire it is often not what we thought when we get it. Infatuation can give some insight I believe into what heaven would be. We get overwhelmed when we fall in love, but after a while it drops and then perhaps the real relationship starts. However the experience points to our seeking something deep and profound, heaven is finding that, but it grows and deepens for an eternity. God is infinite, we are finite, so we have an infinite ability to grow in love, which is heaven.

But, Mark, why would you believe that going to heaven would be like falling in love, first an infatuation, then a longing for the 'real' relationship? This is not biblical.

What is biblical is a timelessness beyond description, and therefore beyond comprehension. Re-read the first several verses of Revelation, chapter 21, and tell me otherwise.

In the Christ,

Rick

• Like 1

What does one Do, in Heaven? - Be with loved ones who have gone before. At least that's what my mum believes and I hope she's right :)

What does one Do, in Heaven? - Be with loved ones who have gone before. At least that's what my mum believes and I hope she's right :)

But what about us who like books more? I would rather spent night with buisquits and tea and good book then with people.

Then I hope that Book of Enoch was right when it said that God ordered Angels to give books to Enoch from Gods library.

In the end Jesus mentioned Enoch.

But what about us who like books more? I would rather spent night with buisquits and tea and good book then with people.

Each to their own.

When you get to my mum's age who has outlived all her family (except for me), then maybe books will not be so important to you.

Each to their own.

When you get to my mum's age who has outlived all her family (except for me), then maybe books will not be so important to you.

Maybe. But curiosity have own reason of existence as Einstein said. And I hope it does.

Humans curiousity made us promising spicies. Even we are young spicies.

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo

But, Mark, why would you believe that going to heaven would be like falling in love, first an infatuation, then a longing for the 'real' relationship? This is not biblical.

What is biblical is a timelessness beyond description, and therefore beyond comprehension. Re-read the first several verses of Revelation, chapter 21, and tell me otherwise.

In the Christ,

Rick

God is love, Jesus in the Gospel of John, prayed that we would be one just as he is one with the Father. In 1st John,it says that those who live in in love live in God. Infinite love is beyond comprehension, it a relationship of oneness that is what love calls us all to. It is also the deepest longing of the human heart,so that would point to the image we are made in.

Peace

Mark

• Like 1

Two of my friends (both old like me) and I were chatting about what we think the afterlife is like. One friend said she sees a bright blue sky, thousands of white tents with panels blowing in the breeze, and tall waving green grass overlooking a valley with a river running through it. Our animal and human friends are there with us and we will spend time with friends as we wish to.

Now, the other friend said she thinks life is made up of tiny sparks that come from the being we call God, and when we die all of those tiny sparks fly up to become one with God again. Once that happens our spirits will be free to roam the heavens, meaning the universe and beyond, travel to different planets and star clusters, and ride along on the solar winds. That really appeals to me.

I think God, if we can call it that, is something so beyond our comprehension that we will be very surprised when or if we meet up with this being. I think there are indeed many layers to the spiritual world and that spirits may pass between them at times. But, then, I am only an old lady and will find out what comes after death before most here do. I sincerely hope there is something interesting and good on the other side.

Edited by moonshadow60
  • Like 4

Two of my friends (both old like me) and I were chatting about what we think the afterlife is like. One friend said she sees a bright blue sky, thousands of white tents with panels blowing in the breeze, and tall waving green grass overlooking a valley with a river running through it. Our animal and human friends are there with us and we will spend time with friends as we wish to.

Now, the other friend said she thinks life is made up of tiny sparks that come from the being we call God, and when we die all of those tiny sparks fly up to become one with God again. Once that happens our spirits will be free to roam the heavens, meaning the universe and beyond, travel to different planets and star clusters, and ride along on the solar winds. That really appeals to me.

I think God, if we can call it that, is something so beyond our comprehension that we will be very surprised when or if we meet up with this being. I think there are indeed many layers to the spiritual world and that spirits may pass between them at times. But, then, I am only an old lady and will find out what comes after death before most here do. I sincerely hope there is something interesting and good on the other side.

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Peace

mark

• Like 1

Beautifully said. Between you and me... I am more than certain you will be amazingly amazed. The god that I know is indeed beyond anything ever imagined. An ocean of hidden depths and wonderfully large waves and currents with an innocent love that goes far beyond the typical love of god spoken about.

• Like 1

Beautifully said. Between you and me... I am more than certain you will be amazingly amazed. The god that I know is indeed beyond anything ever imagined. An ocean of hidden depths and wonderfully large waves and currents with an innocent love that goes far beyond the typical love of god spoken about.

Since there is no reason to think God exists and lots of reasons to think otherwise, whatever afterlife there may be has come about through processes either natural or technological. In either case it sounds more mundane than the flights of fancy I'm reading, but still could be quite nice. I will admit I prefer that over extinction.

Being bored is less than being perfect: off to Hell.

At least you know that the band is going to be great. :)

Heaven definitely wouldn't work if our consciousnesses were same. We would either continue to 'sin' as normal, or we would be unhappy if we're forced not to 'sin'.

So something like being elevated to a higher plane of existence where the idea of 'heaven' works.

Personally I just believe that death is the end to biological function and everything will go black - I'll be pleasantly surprised if not.

I think if you get away from the idea of "sin" then Heaven can be comprehended as a paradise with no end of diversions and no bad consequences. The problem with Christianity is that if it includes pleasure then it is sin. The Christian God is prudish.

Well there's whist, and cribbage and cricket.

Ohh and golf. Lots of golf.

I've got a few questions to ask Himself, if I ever get there,which I doubt, as I haven't enough Brownie points.

For one to get heaven isn't based on ones own doing, Jesus payed the price for us and in the same wiped the slate clean! We must search for God in scriptures and repent for what we have done against Him. Becoming a fall owner of Jesus is to become free! Heaven waits for the children of God and Jesus made us a way to get there. "brownie" points are not needed because no matter how good one is with out coming to Jesus and letting Him take our sin we are just dead men or women waiting to be judged! Look around us the day to day life has changed and biblical signs of prophecy are coming to fruition! Repent and come to God through Jesus and obtain mercy and be ready for the coming kingdom of the God on high! Please repent and be free, the world will hate you for loving Jesus but what's the worth of this world compared to that of the love of God witch is the Christ Jesus

Judaism does not state this.

I didn't know this... what is the punishment for sinning in Judaism?

I think if you get away from the idea of "sin" then Heaven can be comprehended as a paradise with no end of diversions and no bad consequences. The problem with Christianity is that if it includes pleasure then it is sin. The Christian God is prudish.

Wow that is wrong, pleasure of let's say love! Would this be a sin to have the pleasure of feeling the love of God? God isn't just a christian God, He is God to all people, just because you may or may not believe in Him doesn't change the fact that He is still God. As humans is see there is this commen idea that God must make sence to us to be real, humble minds and faith will show you that God is real! Prude maybe but who is down with living in sin and yet gets angry with the idea of going to hell, because God is just! Don't brake the law if you don't want to go to jail, right?

For one to get heaven isn't based on ones own doing, Jesus payed the price for us and in the same wiped the slate clean! We must search for God in scriptures and repent for what we have done against Him. Becoming a fall owner of Jesus is to become free! Heaven waits for the children of God and Jesus made us a way to get there. "brownie" points are not needed because no matter how good one is with out coming to Jesus and letting Him take our sin we are just dead men or women waiting to be judged! Look around us the day to day life has changed and biblical signs of prophecy are coming to fruition! Repent and come to God through Jesus and obtain mercy and be ready for the coming kingdom of the God on high! Please repent and be free, the world will hate you for loving Jesus but what's the worth of this world compared to that of the love of God witch is the Christ Jesus

Sooooo, you seem to be a proponent of "heaven", can you answer the OP's question? What does one do when one makes it into "heaven".

Are you serious or is this a joke?
  • Like 1

Since there is no reason to think God exists and lots of reasons to think otherwise, whatever afterlife there may be has come about through processes either natural or technological. In either case it sounds more mundane than the flights of fancy I'm reading, but still could be quite nice. I will admit I prefer that over extinction.

There are a tremendous amount of reasons to think a conscious eternal being probably exists that is entirely natural , nor are they flights of fancy, illogical, or even that far fetched. That's other than meeting god yourself.

One totally logical and maybe even likely possibility actually emanates from a suggestion you made earlier, you just have probably not explored induction to its fullest potential in favor a reductionist approach. The great spirit would not be in the details any more than the human exists inside of its atoms. In this case reductionist reasoning completely fails just as it would trying to predict the existence of life.

Lets not mistake this for a dogmatic religiously boxed god. I think you are above that particular straw man.

By the way my imagery of god is a direct experience. Not a poem. ;) I'd be happy to link you to my journal entry on it.

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 2