Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
DeWitz

What's "Horror?" Some faves

55 posts in this topic

George Ford

One of the most 'horrific' horror movies I ever saw was [REC]. It's Spanish with English subs but well worth a watch, the 2nd one is good as well but I'm not a fan of the 3rd. There is also an American remake of [REC] called 'Quarantine', which is pretty much the same film scene for scene, it is also worth watching BUT 'Quarantine 2' is a completely different film from [REC] 2, and is also putting on your list of things to watch. Plus they are bringing out [REC] 4 later this year if everything is on schedule.

• Like 2

StRoostifer

I have tried to find [REC] but had trouble. Have heard it was pretty brutal.

You just reminded me of another brutal movie, High Tension. Its a French film with English sub's. Anyone seen this?

• Like 1

dm08

One of the most 'horrific' horror movies I ever saw was [REC]. It's Spanish with English subs but well worth a watch, the 2nd one is good as well but I'm not a fan of the 3rd. There is also an American remake of [REC] called 'Quarantine', which is pretty much the same film scene for scene, it is also worth watching BUT 'Quarantine 2' is a completely different film from [REC] 2, and is also putting on your list of things to watch. Plus they are bringing out [REC] 4 later this year if everything is on schedule.

I've never been into zombie movies, but I gave REC a try after some prodding from friends. I thought it was incredible. I was on the edge of my seat almost the entire time. Fantastic!

• Like 1

StRoostifer

Just finished watching a movie called, The Haunt. Wasn't great but wasn't bad either and there was a few cute ladies so all in all it was enjoyable. I prefer more gore with my horror but geebus, it was better than Messengers! :D

• Like 1

StRoostifer

Up next folks. Trailer Park of Terror! A bloody pervertedly disgusting ride. Love this movie.

• Like 1

aquatus1

Killer Klowns From Outer Space.

Sorry. Not all that impressed by horror movies.

What's horror? Your imagination. Assisted by someone else's imagination. Here's one that, as a small child, literally had me hiding under the covers, with that fear fever blazing on the back of your neck, afraid to peek out:

The Zombie

Upon your bed you sleep in pain,

For nightmares swirl within your brain.

You waken with a fearful start

As horror grips your heart.

You sense a presence standing there,

And all at once it meets your stare,

A zombie waits within your room,

And with it dwells your doom.

And you shiver, and you scream!

And you hope it’s all a dream,

as the Zombie nears your bed.

The Zombie, spawn of voodoo’s charms,

Has come to take you in it’s arms.

It longs to crush, it yearns to clutch,

And lethal is it’s touch.

It does not live, yet is not dead.

Two sockets burn within it’s head.

It does not see, it does not hear,

It does not heed your fear.

And you hope it’s all a dream,

Closer, Closer to your bed,

Closer comes this thing undead,

It nears you at a steady pace,

And oh, it’s awful face.

Closer, Closer, Closer still

The Zombie nears with icy will.

It’s face remains expressionless,

As you feel it’s cold caress.

For you know, it’s not a dream,

a5.jpg

Poems by Jack Prelutsky

816486.jpg

Or if you aren't into poetry:

1325218.jpg

Edited by aquatus1
  • Like 2

StRoostifer

Watching Ghost Ship now. More horror as usual. :D

dm08

Watching Ghost Ship now. More horror as usual. :D

Ghost Ship is fun!

• Like 1

StRoostifer

Ghost Ship is fun!

Yes it is. Gabriel Byrne is awesome!

StRoostifer

Just finished watching The Conjuring.

Playful_Weasel

Some of my all time favorite horror movies is "Drag Me To Hell" "The Gravedancers" "House on Haunted Hill" & the one in my native Spanish "El Espinazo del Diablo" (the Devil's Backbone)

Looking back since first page I found a few movies that caught my attention, so I may end up buying them when i see them.

Big fan of horror movies [deal with ghost, demons, poltergeist, & spirits].

• Like 2

quiXilver

I'm big on concept films not so much on horror, but there are a few I really enjoyed.

Alien

Silent Hill

Underworld series was fun

The Thing... the remake with Russell

Night of the Living Dead - the original

Jacob's Ladder

Predator gets an honorable mention... (I've now lived in two states where actors from that film went on to become Governor... Arnold and Jesse. I figure if Carl Weathers ever gets a nod, I'll have to move there for a year at least to gain residency and get the hat trick)

• Like 2

quiXilver

Stephen King's The Shining is still one of my favorite books of all time... not the film though... ugh

• Like 2

StRoostifer

Speaking of Russell, Escape From NY was a friggin trip!

Scanners

I actually liked The Night of the Living Dead remake with Bil Mosely and the dude that played Candyman ( forget his name)

The Evil Dead

The Raven - (then again anything with Vincent Price was cool)

The Car

The Amityville Horror - original ( although I thought the remake was cool)

The Exorcist ( original)

Doomsday

Mad Max ( first one)

I'll probably think of more to add later, pretty tired now.

• Like 1

Crabby Kitten

I don't like modern horror, it's crap.

Give me classic horrors and Hammer any day

• Like 1

Astra.

The old fly movie got me, never forget the little white head on a fly screaming help help

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051622/

Lol...I remember seeing that film.....it took me a long time to see fly's in the same light again......yes! the little squeaky voice - "help me" "help me"- coming from the tiny human face on the fly..... freaked me out big time for ages :lol:
  • Like 1

Astra.

I don't like modern horror, it's crap.

Give me classic horrors and Hammer any day

I agree.....I don't watch all that blood thirsty...chop them up!.... violent stuff. The story lines are usually predictable....and just plain stupid.

I didn't mind the movie " Insidious" .....covered my eye's there a few times lol...

• Like 1

StRoostifer

Guess I'm the opposite. While I do like a few classics, for the most part I find them boring beyond belief and better suited for something to fall asleep to instead of something to watch in hopes of being scared. I admit, I watch modern horror for the gore. I've watched horror movies since I was 6 or 7 years old so there's really no plot that's going to scare me , so for me all thats left is good old fashioned gore. To each their own I reckon.

aquatus1

Ah, gore! The Three Stooges of horror.

• Like 1

StRoostifer

Ah, gore! The Three Stooges of horror.

Lol,good one! First time I watched that movie I could not stop laughing because it was so predictably cheesy. In the end I guess thats what I liked about it. Comedy has a place in horror if done right.

I found this one to be quite funny too. 1001 Maniacs with Robert Englund.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwMXQ-04g9g

Edited by StRoostifer

StRoostifer

While I'm thinking of comedic horror. This is Trailer Park of Terror

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOKnkkvITUU

aquatus1

Back in the '80's, horror was all about teenage sex inevitably leading to violent slasher death.

The '90s were a terrible decade for horror, but what there was mostly focused on trying to go somewhere you weren't supposed to go, and finding out it turns out to be a portal to hell.

00 was a bad decade for horror, but not because of the quality issues of the 90's, but more because they couldn't figure out which genre to use and whether or not they were supposed to take it seriously. It was a very experimental decade, almost symbolic of the turn of the century.

This decade...it's almost like we are tired of experimenting and trying to return to our roots, but failing in that we keep trying to make reboots relevant instead of trying to figure out why they were so scary for their time and not ours.

HerNibs

My all time favorite - The Changeling with George C Scott.

Not a ton of gore, just good old fashion suspense and scares.

Nibs

• Like 1

StRoostifer

One thing to keep in mind is Hollywood overall is having the same problems. Rehashing old plots and trying to put new twists but ends up the same garbage or worse. Movies have been around so long that sooner or later it had to go back to the start. This is especially true in horror and one reason why I have always gravitated towards gore. I'm not talking about slashers like Halloween, Friday the 13. I got sick of those back in the 80's when I was a kid because I found em to be insanely boring and repetitive. I'm talking about stuff like the two movies I posted earlier. At least the writers TRIED to do something different which is what I liked about them.

Some of the earliest comedic horror goes back to around 1984 with The Return of the Living Dead which had a great mix of older actors from Hollywood like James Karen , Clu Gulliger, Don Calfa infused with some youth and the comedy between them was funny and yet fans were pleased because it was some of the best gore at that time and is still better that a lot of CGI used now.

To me, the 90's is when the remakes began to file in like crazy. Texas Chainsaw, the night of the living dead and plenty of vampire movies. Also watered down with too many sequels as well.

Personally I liked the 2000's, or at least I've found some I really liked. I thought the Dawn of the Dead remake s really good, Skeleton Key and I could list more but I'm not trying to write a novel. :)

There's only so many things that can be done with horror. Ghosts, scary creatures etc so it was bound to run its course and did a long time ago. What keeps it alive is the fans desire to see if they can still be scared and for some, the gore. Plus the young horror fans need something for their generation. Let's face it, as classic as it is, Nasferatu just isn't scary . But I admit I'm partial to zombies and have been for a good 35 years or more.

I also believe its a psychological thing. The been there done that mindset as we get older. When we become adults its natural to not be scared because we have seen it many times before throughout our youth and into adulthood so of course there is going to be the outlook of " not like it used to be". Also, too many people rely on what's in the mainstream and so not look outside the box. IMO, as far as "scary" is concerned I feel the Japanese do it best right now . The French and Norwegians are doing some very good work as well. Just have to be willing to look outside the mainstream box because that's where the good stuff really is.

• Like 1

aquatus1

There is also the new influence of globalism. Hollywood makes a movie for the lowest common denominator and they can sell it around the world. They shoot for quantity instead of quality. Doesn't necessarily work though. Here in Japan, you don't really see much American horror asides from the paranormal stuff.

• Like 1