Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Open ended

markdohle

Open ended

Is this all there is, what we see? If that were true, why do people have experiences that seem to point to an open ended reality; experiences that shatter all preconceived ideas about reality? I would think all of us, no matter our beliefs, need to have the ability to be surprised in order to move deeper into the infinite mystery. For those who believe that our life ends by hitting some kind of brick wall, well perhaps they will be most surprised of all.

• Like 1

There is definitely more than what we are able to see. There are, of course, physical limitations to what we can see without outside help. I find myself a bit disturbed by those 17 species of bacteria that live on our eyelashes.

Who can see our soul? Our consciousness must be more than just neural impulses. We exist, and we know that we exist. Who can see our emotions, our hopes, our fears, our dreams? Is all that we experience just a connect-the-dots in our brain, or do we partially exist in that metaphysical realm beyond biology? You can only know it if you have experienced it.

Those grasp delusion.

Those sift rational.

Those avoid confusion.

Those hunger know all.

The truth unknown.

The experience so sure.

The fear alone.

To all past,and present will be delighted beyond the cosmos door.

Those experiences you speak of, Markdohle, are I believe, glimpses of a much larger reality than we can currently comprehend. I have had some encounters which prove, to me, that there is existence after this physical body dies.

I cannot prove to anyone, nor would I attempt to try; for me though, it is enough to show me that the spirit/soul/essence of who we are continues.

Depends on what you see. I see a lot more than many people. Remember one of the last scenes in Field of Dreams, where the brother-in-law sits down on the bench, and says Where did those guys come from? Uh-huh. We think we're seeing everything that is, but just like when we see a huge iceberg, the larger part of it is there, but can't be seen. As John Prine says, "it's a big old goofy world."

Edited by Beany

Open ended

Is this all there is, what we see? ...For those who believe that our life ends by hitting some kind of brick wall, well perhaps they will be most surprised of all.

Holy cow, do you ever write large.

Anyways, I believe that it all depends where you are in the course of your life.

If you're young, you probably expect great things. The older you get, the more you may expect 'your lot in life', and you get comfortable with that.

Where you may see a "brick wall", I slip on a familiar, comfortable old pair of shoes. Not that I think that you're that young, or I'm that old. It's just personal perspective. That's all that I'm saying.

Personally, I've either stopped caring about or never cared, 'what comes after'. If there is an 'ever after', that'll be a bonus! :)

• Like 1

The great mystery cannot be contained in a box not one we make nor the box that we think with.

• Like 1

Some great comments thanks everyone. The reason the type was so large is that for some reason yesterday I could not get it smaller, I think my computer was having a bad day.

Ideologies can't be truth since they are so closed in on themselves and the also pretend to have all the answers. What keeps religion alive, the non-fundamentalist kind, is that the sayings of the the founders is always pondered, and there is an understanding that the founders teaching need to be looked at over and over again and seen on a deeper level. when this is not done rigidity enters in. Tradition should be something living, not something dead and rootless. I do think that spirituality is given depth by being connected to a tradition, but of course being a devout catholic I would say that , now wouldn't I?

Peace

Mark

• Like 1

If there is an 'ever after', that'll be a bonus! :)

What if the hereafter were something (perpetually) horrific, what would you do then?

Peace.

• Like 1

What if the hereafter were something (perpetually) horrific, what would you do then?

Peace.

Yea -- what if we just become disembodied spirits?

Being disembodied is inevitable. The spirit will end up in some kind of reality, however.

Being disembodied is inevitable. The spirit will end up in some kind of reality, however.

Why? How about floating around forever blind and deaf and untouched and not able to feel either? And utterly alone.

That's one reality. If that were the case, would you be able to accept it?

No choice, huh? No I would probably go insane, although with a spirit that may not be possible.

I wouldn't know since I've never stayed in that kind of reality long enough find out. Death was freaky enough. On the other hand, the Void was like a way to erase one's "awareness." That's the way I got it. And voila, Jesus Christ came along...

Edited by No-thingBornPassion

I wouldn't know since I've never stayed in that kind of reality long enough find out. Death was freaky enough. On the other hand, the Void was like a way to erase one's "awareness." That's the way I got it. And voila, Jesus Christ came along...

Did he say he was Jesus? "Hey im jesus here to rescue you."

Edited by White Crane Feather

Why would that had to have happened? The figure of Jesus is over 2000 years old, surely he would be a recognizable figure to anyone in Western culture, at the very least. We each have our own personal beliefs and experiences through which we interpret, organize and explain events in our lives. That's why each of us is unique.

The image of Jesus most western cultures hold up as the way he looked

Would be literally impossible.

Edited by SkepticalB

Hi. The Being didn't call Himself Jesus. The first thought that came to my "awareness" was Lord, and I projected that to Him to my surprise, "Lord!" Before that first thought came to me, however, a radiating or wave of love engulf my essence -- "unconditional love." Keep in mind that it all happened instantly. At any rate, some how I knew (in my configuration) that He was Jesus Christ.

The image of Jesus most western cultures hold up as the way he looked

Would be literally impossible.

The "Lord" appeared without a face, or I should say, His radiating light in the sea of nothingness obscured His face.

Open ended

Is this all there is, what we see? If that were true, why do people have experiences that seem to point to an open ended reality; experiences that shatter all preconceived ideas about reality? I would think all of us, no matter our beliefs, need to have the ability to be surprised in order to move deeper into the infinite mystery. For those who believe that our life ends by hitting some kind of brick wall, well perhaps they will be most surprised of all.

Well, it depends on what you mean by "brick wall" one hits at the end of his or her life. My idea is the grave where we all eventually go to rest forever. Just as the wisest of the wise said in Ecclesiastes 12:7. "The body goes back to the dust and the breath of life back to God Who gave it." (Gen.2:7)