Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious 'ugly woman' painting baffles

Still Waters

A couple have been left "mystified" after an oil painting of an "ugly" woman in a white headscarf was sent to them in the post with no explanation.

The parcel was addressed to Keith Webb at his home in Winchester, Hampshire, and contained the unmarked portrait.

He said his wife Sue felt "threatened" by the image, which arrived on Wednesday without an accompanying note, so they banished it to the garage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...pshire-24379841

• Like 1

Ugly woman? it's obviously a 16th c. painting of the Flemish school, possibly by Breughel. Might be worth a bit.

• Like 1

Ugly woman? it's obviously a 16th c. painting of the Flemish school, possibly by Breughel. Might be worth a bit.

I thought Breughal the instant I saw it too. They ought to get a second opinion.

Interesting thought, a lot of continental art went missing during WWII. I wonder if somebody maybe had a crisis of conscience and decided to track down the original owner's family?

Yeh not exactly a cheerful thing to hang on the walls is it? Well, it may look right on a dungeon wall actually! :lol:

Maybe it was a picture people hung on their bedroom doors to keep the kids out?

While not horrific in any way, it does strike me as a tad unsettling. There is something slightly off, just ringing on a subconscious level.

...Eh, enough whiskey and maybe....

Seems silly to just hide it in your garage, at the very least itd be an interesting conversation piece

UGLY Woman now solved :tu:

quote:

"Having initially been so rude about the painting, it now turns out it's come from within the family," he added. :clap::w00t:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-24419383

I think she's awesome. I would hang her up in a heartbeat

• Like 2

I was going to say Nancy Pelosi called and wants her portrait back, but that would be just wrong........

Curious that people are frightened by an elderly woman with sad, haunting eyes. Think of all the life she has lived. In those days they did not have dentistry, face lifts and all the things people rely on now to make themselves look "beautiful".

• Like 1

I thought it had been painted as a tribute to all Mother in Laws everywhere.

Mum? Yikes, I thought I lost all her pictures, portraits or otherwise...

Curious that people are frightened by an elderly woman with sad, haunting eyes. Think of all the life she has lived. In those days they did not have dentistry, face lifts and all the things people rely on now to make themselves look "beautiful".

Yeah I don't judge people on their current looks.

I've been around many an elderly woman at a golf club I used to work, and after seeing some of their early photos, I was thinking "Dang, they were HOT"

I've also seen this in comparison wedding pics in the newspaper. You know, the one's celebrating, say, their 50th aniversary and they show 2 sets of pics... one taken when they were married and quite attractive, then 50 years later.

So when I look at an elderly person I try not to think of their current infirmities or "looks", but rather think about how full of life they were when younger.

• Like 2

My feeling on her was, she was someone's wet nurse or something, and in her later years began to get sick, and someone wanted to capture her before she was gone.

Someone who loved her.

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 2

Not the worst piece of art I've seen, but not the best either.

Place it in your guest bedroom so she can stare at your guests at night. :lol:

Yeah I don't judge people on their current looks.

I've been around many an elderly woman at a golf club I used to work, and after seeing some of their early photos, I was thinking "Dang, they were HOT"

I've also seen this in comparison wedding pics in the newspaper. You know, the one's celebrating, say, their 50th aniversary and they show 2 sets of pics... one taken when they were married and quite attractive, then 50 years later.

So when I look at an elderly person I try not to think of their current infirmities or "looks", but rather think about how full of life they were when younger.

and some keep themselves young at heart too, njoy

• Like 1

I think she's awesome. I would hang her up in a heartbeat

Just not in the bedroom or anywhere you might be doing something.... errr.... naughty. She looks pretty stern.

• Like 1