Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pentagon's Super-Fast Robots

Big Bad Voodoo

http://gizmodo.com/the-pentagons-super-fast-robot-is-now-completely-wirel-1441049929

Last year, DARPA unveiled Cheetah: a robot that could run faster than Usain Bolt. Now, the same team has managed to create a version that doesn't need a power cord, making the electronic beast free to roam wherever it chooses. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• Like 2

seems top heavy and like the legs would be fairly easy to damage.

also, I want to ride one

• Like 1

http://gizmodo.com/t...irel-1441049929

Last year, DARPA unveiled Cheetah: a robot that could run faster than Usain Bolt. Now, the same team has managed to create a version that doesn't need a power cord, making the electronic beast free to roam wherever it chooses. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

But the others didnt need a power cord either

Very cool

As long as they consider 16 mph as cheetah-like and equate wiildcat-stealth to chain-saw noise, I am not too concerned.

• Like 2

kind of looks like something from star wars

• Like 1

Great concept demo project TO LEARN from, because look at it's "paws" They are so small and I'm sure the robot is so heavy, that I could imagine it getting stuck in mushy ground, mud or beach sand.

I'm not being critical as I know this is just a concept demo, just pointing-out what to me is the obvious.

Is it just me or does it look like it's wearing running shoes?

Is it just me or does it look like it's wearing running shoes?

what type Nike or Adidas :rofl:

Cool/Creepy.... also glad it's noisy and glad it wasn't designed with a pokey stick in the front. Pranks would run afoul.

The potential of this sort of thing is immense, not just to the military. Roadless travel without stopping to forage!

• Like 1

the sounds really ruins it, glad they showed muted footage lol

BUT...they are spending a whopping 10 million to refine it and quiet it down. Most prototypes are cumbersome/noisy while the concept is proven, as they want this for the battlefield, you can be very very sure the final end product will probably just hum. They may not even use a combustion engine in the end, who knows?

DARPA Spends $10 Million To Make BigDog Stronger And Stealthier

Last week, DARPA awarded a $10 million contract to Boston Dynamics to further develop BigDog, with a planned culmination in a military exercise two years from now. To reduce risks to soldiers in combat, the research agency has asked Boston Dynamics to build a quieter and more bullet-resistant version of the robot. Scary.

http://www.popsci.com/article/technology/darpa-spends-10-million-make-bigdog-stronger-and-stealthier

The potential of this sort of thing is immense, not just to the military. Roadless travel without stopping to forage!

yer no foraging......damn never thought about the gas station :huh:

BUT...they are spending a whopping 10 million to refine it and quiet it down. Most prototypes are cumbersome/noisy while the concept is proven, as they want this for the battlefield, you can be very very sure the final end product will probably just hum. They may not even use a combustion engine in the end, who knows?

DARPA Spends $10 Million To Make BigDog Stronger And Stealthier

Last week, DARPA awarded a $10 million contract to Boston Dynamics to further develop BigDog, with a planned culmination in a military exercise two years from now. To reduce risks to soldiers in combat, the research agency has asked Boston Dynamics to build a quieter and more bullet-resistant version of the robot. Scary.

http://www.popsci.co...-and-stealthier

yer but the enemy will just get even more sophisticated...........ball ball bunny ball ball :sk

what enemy has shown to have technology as advanced as the U.S.?

it's literally the only thing we have going for us

See what happens when we try to use alien tech without alien support? It comes out all noisy and stuff. Mrglflank Obo is probably laughing one or more of his tails off at those poor puny humans.