Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Africa's true size will blow you away

Big Bad Voodoo

I notice Canada and Russia is missing from that diagram. It's kind of unfair to compare an entire continent to individual countries.

• Like 4

For those of us who had to get out our colored pencils in school and color in & label a map of all those African countries, along with the major rivers & mountains and mountain ranges, and name the capital cities, it comes as no surprise.

For those of us who had to get out our colored pencils in school and color in & label a map of all those African countries, along with the major rivers & mountains and mountain ranges, and name the capital cities, it comes as no surprise.

Really you have to do that? You study geography?

Really you have to do that? You study geography?

Yes, kids study geography in school (at least where I live they do).

Yes, kids study geography in school (at least where I live they do).

I did study Geography in school. But didnt have to color countries. Interesting indeed.

I did study Geography in school. But didnt have to color countries. Interesting indeed.

Yip me to an still to this day thanks to colouring in every damn country 30 years late I can still recount every one of their names lol

The problem with Africa, because it's so darn big, was finding enough colored pencils or crayons so that each country had it's own color. I was good with the country-coloring, but bad at the close-up work! Funny, I thought every kid around the world had to do this kind of thing. Is this still a classroom activity, does anybody know? I was the kid whose art work of any kind or maps was never displayed on the classroom wall.

Edited by Beany

We usually just had to label the countries and draw in the major rivers and landmarks - famous mountains and the like. I usually added a bit of colored pencil work just to make it look better.

lol i can remenber the old coloring book page but now i asked my aunt who teaches 4 grade here the school she works at got high tech they all use computers and printers to make it happen but ask one of the kids if they know where your talking about they look at you like your stupid

lol i can remenber the old coloring book page but now i asked my aunt who teaches 4 grade here the school she works at got high tech they all use computers and printers to make it happen but ask one of the kids if they know where your talking about they look at you like your stupid

I still enjoy an hour of coloring books with my grandkids. It's a peaceful activity, and we get a chance to talk.

Dang, that IS big. I knew it was very large, but the overlay comparison sure puts it in a new perspective for me.

From a South African point of view I'd say it a bit short sighted to compare the whole african land mass to one country....u canmt look at it like that...for example: South Africa is a country in africa, but it only fills the bottom bit of the land mass....so if u compare land masses, its a different picture...like russia and china etc together, that all one land mass, or north and south america, they are joined, its one land mass.

But if guess if the perspective is from someone in a much smaller country and doesn't know what africa looks like or can comprehend its whole size then it is usefull....I dunno..

Out