Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Leonardo da Vinci painting lost for centuries

Big Bad Voodoo

Not a very good painting, though, unless it looks a lot better 'in the flesh'. That thingummy in her hand looks like a paint-by-the-numbers job.

It is interesting that although Isabella d'Este was one of the leading women of the Italian Renaissance, it was the commissioned artist who became the memorable figure of importance.

I'm afraid the above illustration is part of the previously known drawing in the Louvre. part of the painting with good explanations can be seen in The Guardian bit.ly/GCMD31

Regarding the bad drawing of the hand - No body knew human proportions like Leonardo knew. No one could draw human hands as he could. If he drew them wrong that certainly was for a reason, which could be very prosaic sometimes. For example, he planned to paint a full 3/4 bust portrait and the above was only the initial quick sketch. However he run out of space on the paper and included the hand as a "note" to himself. This is just one theory but it can explain the "bad" drawing and makes more sense than Leonardo suddenly drawing like a child. BTW, I personally like the sketch a lot more than the painting.

• Like 2

Hmm I'm sensing some type of conspiracy theory or a hidden code. :unsure2:

I'm afraid the above illustration is part of the previously known drawing in the Louvre. part of the painting with good explanations can be seen in The Guardian bit.ly/GCMD31

Regarding the bad drawing of the hand - No body knew human proportions like Leonardo knew. No one could draw human hands as he could. If he drew them wrong that certainly was for a reason, which could be very prosaic sometimes. For example, he planned to paint a full 3/4 bust portrait and the above was only the initial quick sketch. However he run out of space on the paper and included the hand as a "note" to himself. This is just one theory but it can explain the "bad" drawing and makes more sense than Leonardo suddenly drawing like a child. BTW, I personally like the sketch a lot more than the painting.

Imho without Vasari neither Leonardo neither Michelangello would be as they are. I think he gave them value. I could be wrong.

BTW welcome to UM! :D

Without the previously attributed sketch, there isn't much that marks this out as a Da Vinci. It isn't very well executed and nowhere near as sophisticated as his other paintings.

Guys, this IS the sketch. Just search on Google and you will find the actual painting.

• Like 1