Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The New Race for the Moon

Waspie_Dwarf

The New Race for the Moon

The rise of China, rapidly accelerating technology, the increasing pace of lunar discoveries and the growing viability of lunar mining are drawing multiple countries and companies into development of new missions to the Moon.

As many as 12 robotic lunar missions including orbiters, rovers and sample return missions are to be launched between now and 2020.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

While they're up there. They ought to land near the landings of the Apollo missions and take pics and video

and prove again to the conspiracy nuts that man landed on the moon in the late 60's and early 70's.

• Like 2

I told you months ago that the Chinese would be next on the Moon, and I think your reply was "Whats with all this Chinese rubbish",

I told you months ago that the Chinese would be next on the Moon, and I think your reply was "Whats with all this Chinese rubbish",

Playing a bit fast and loose with the facts aren't you? I would go so far as to say you are dodging the facts altogether.

Let's see what both you and I ACTUALLY said, instead of your distorted version shall we?

I was responding to you, after you had taken yet another thread about the Moon off topic. It was a thread about the Apollo flags on the Moon and had NOTHING to do with China:

They haven't been stolen ? yet ! or maybe replaced by a red flag with a crescent moon and 4 stars on it !

What is it with you and the Chinese on the moon? Every story about the moon we get a post like this. You could at least try to make posts based on fact.

China has yet to land even an unmanned craft on the moon.

China does not have a heavy-lift launch vehicle capable of sending a manned spacecraft to the moon.

China will not be in a position to land a man on the moon until at least 2020, probably much later.

Now, given that the article I have linked to points out that the Chinese have yet to land an unmanned spacecraft on the Moon and further says:

Those giving serious study to the launch of manned Moon missions by 2025-2030 are China, Japan, India, and Russia.

So, would you care to point out which part of my reply to you is factually incorrect?

One part of that reply to you is worth repeating as it didn't sink in last time:

You could at least try to make posts based on fact.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo's

While they're up there. They ought to land near the landings of the Apollo missions and take pics and video

and prove again to the conspiracy nuts that man landed on the moon in the late 60's and early 70's.

What's to keep the nuts from claiming the Chinese landings are fakes as well? Nuts will be nuts. Does NASA also have plans for a permanent moon settlement?

Does NASA also have plans for a permanent moon settlement?

No.

The ironic thing is that with Orion and the Space Launch System booster currently being built the USA will be in the best position to return to the Moon, yet they have no plans to do so.

Russia also has plans for a new spacecraft (a replacement for the Soyuz) and a new heavy lift booster. These are not as far advance as the US equivalents though.

China has not yet developed a launch vehicle that matches even the US Delta IV Heavy, the Russian Proton-M or the European Ariane 5. They are currently working on the Long March 5 series of rockets, due to enter service no earlier than 2015. This vehicle will be used to launch elements of China's planned space station into orbit. It could also be used to launch a modular vehicle which could be used to take Chinese astronauts to the Moon. Such a mission would require multiple launches and construction of the vehicle in space.

The China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology (CALT) have proposed a Saturn V/SLS class launch vehicle, the Long March 9, but this has not yet been funded (see this article from Parabolic Arc).

• Like 1

I always thought the moon was going to play a major role in human space travel, further out into the cosmos i mean?

These organisations are not going to be spending money on debunking the mindless bunk of idiotic Apollo denial conspiracies, nor should they, especially if any of it is taxpayer's money. The Apollo sites are interesting for other reasons though, eg looking at how materials withstand long term exposure to the conditions up there...

There is already plenty of confirmation:

Apollo11-LRO-March2012.jpg{Hi-res view of the Apollo 11 landing site from the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter. LROC M175124932R.}

..and more will come as a natural result of the close up scrutiny the Moon is getting from many countries and organisations in the future.

(But if it's not NASA they need to ask nicely to get permission and not disturb the historical sites without good reason.)

What's to keep the nuts from claiming the Chinese landings are fakes as well?

Duct Tape

• Like 2

What's to keep the nuts from claiming the Chinese landings are fakes as well? Nuts will be nuts. Does NASA also have plans for a permanent moon settlement?

The types who make such claims tend to be anti-American Americans who can never see anything good their country has done. They will be pleased the Chinese succeeded.

Is it actually possible to have on-topic discussion about Lunar exploration with out it being hijacked and turned into a conspiracy topic?

Is it actually possible to have on-topic discussion about Lunar exploration with out it being hijacked and turned into a conspiracy topic?

Evidently not, Sorry

The types who make such claims tend to be anti-American Americans who can never see anything good their country has done. They will be pleased the Chinese succeeded.

I think more likely fundamentalist Christian right wing nuts who secretly hope for proof the earth is flat and the stars just lights in the firmament. These will never credit the Godless communists with anything

OOPS :innocent:

Probably not..

I am curious, down the road with China and Russia planning more missions to the moon, whether it'll eventually be used as a launching pad for deep-space exploration. I'm not even sure if the moon is stable enough for that prospect; I'll leave someone scientifically educated to answer that.