Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jamie Oliver Proves McDonald is not food

Brian Topp

Hamburger chef Jamie Oliver has won his long-fought battle against one of the largest fast food chains in the world – McDonalds. After Oliver showed how McDonald’s hamburgers are made, the franchise finally announced that it will change its recipe, and yet there was barely a peep about this in the mainstream, corporate media.

Oliver repeatedly explained to the public, over several years – in documentaries, television shows and interviews – that the fatty parts of beef are “washed” in ammonium hydroxide and used in the filling of the burger. Before this process, according to the presenter, the food is deemed unfit for human consumption. According to the chef and hamburger enthusiast, Jamie Oliver, who has undertaken a war against the fast food industry, “Basically, we’re taking a product that would be sold in the cheapest way for dogs, and after this process, is being given to human beings.”

Besides the low quality of the meat, the ammonium hydroxide is harmful to health. Oliver famously coined this the “the pink slime process.”

“Why would any sensible human being put meat filled with ammonia in the mouths of their children?” Oliver asked.

In one of his colorful demonstrations, Oliver demonstrates to children how nuggets are made. After selecting the best parts of the chicken, the remains (fat, skin and internal organs) are processed for these fried foods.

Source: http://fitlife.tv/hamburger-chef-jamie-oliver-proves-mcdonalds-burgers-unfit-for-human-consumption/

Alt Source: http://politicalblindspot.org/hamburger-chef-jamie-oliver-proves-mcdonalds-burgers-unfit-for-human-consumption/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wshlnRWnf30

I'm sorry, but that is not 'proving McDonalds is not food'.

That was a silly title that I almost believed.

• Like 1

McDonalds is not food. It's some sort of unholy concoction excreted from the bowels of satan himself that will remain long after humanity has met its end. (Which may be in part due to McDonalds.)

• Like 2

I love a good thick rare hamburger with ketchup and an onion slice and lettuce and tomatoes and maybe pickles and mustard. Those creamy mayonnaise things that McDonald's uses are horrid, and their hamburgers are overdone and too salty and too small. A real hamburger has to be sliced in half before you can eat it.

I dare say the time has come when one can get a better hamburger in Vietnam than in the States, although here they ain't cheap and you have to wait fifteen minutes for it.

Certain confectionery are non-foods but sold as food. Yoghurt and processed milk is basically a tampered food.

What else is edible non-food for humans is chewing gum, tobacco, paper, dough, egg and nut shells, sesame seeds, cough sweets, pot pouri, soap, toothpaste, fruit peel and kernels, alcohol, caffeine, liquorice, crisps, mushrooms, ice, grass and dirt.

Food or not...a McD's cheeseburger with pickle and ketchup is one of the most satisfying edibles I know of...

• Like 2

You put a few things on your list, especially mushrooms, that are food. We have two things here that are similar but different -- sour milk and yogurt. I wonder if the difference exists elsewhere. I think they are both foods with biotic benefits to boot.

• Like 1

I love a good thick rare hamburger with ketchup and an onion slice and lettuce and tomatoes and maybe pickles and mustard. Those creamy mayonnaise things that McDonald's uses are horrid, and their hamburgers are overdone and too salty and too small. A real hamburger has to be sliced in half before you can eat it.

respectful disagreement: a thin burger grilled well is a thing of delight. crispy outside and just a little bit rare inside, cooked quickly. overly thick burgers are the bane of my... well, ok, they just annoy me a little. not to say that an ordinarily thick burger is bad; the opposite. but some people seem to think "more meat" is the answer to everything, and you end up with a greasy blob of unpleasantness.

respectful disagreement: a thin burger grilled well is a thing of delight. crispy outside and just a little bit rare inside, cooked quickly. overly thick burgers are the bane of my... well, ok, they just annoy me a little. not to say that an ordinarily thick burger is bad; the opposite. but some people seem to think "more meat" is the answer to everything, and you end up with a greasy blob of unpleasantness.

De gustibus non disputandum. I like my ground beef to "moo" at me when I eat it <grin>. I do agree that the hamburger just by itself is not much, though, thick or thin. By the way, who says a thick hamburger is greasy; if they use fatty meat, I suppose it may end up that way -- but fresh ground beef should not be fresh ground fat.
  • Like 2

I prefer the taste of blood when I eat meat.

that being said. a mcdouble at 3 in the morning is sometimes better than kicking your shoes off when you finally get home at night

• Like 2

De gustibus non disputandum. I like my ground beef to "moo" at me when I eat it <grin>. I do agree that the hamburger just by itself is not much, though, thick or thin. By the way, who says a thick hamburger is greasy; if they use fatty meat, I suppose it may end up that way -- but fresh ground beef should not be fresh ground fat.

that's fair, maybe i've just had bad burger experiences! everyone likes to think they can grill a burger; the people who actually can are less common.

personally, i like rare meat, but only when i cook it myself. a large amount of my working life has been spent in kitchens, and it's hard to trust after some of the things i've seen.

The problem with undercooked meet happens mostly when you eat carnivore or omnivore meat. Cows fortunately stick to grass. Still, of course, contamination after slaughter is a worry.

Actually I've never had a problem of those sorts that I am aware of. I get food poisoning every now and then here when I drink street tea since too often they use the local tap water instead of bottled water, but not from foods.

The sickest I've ever been came from food on a transoceanic airline flight. Goes to show.

Not from this topic posting, but from my experience of "fast food", "processed food", etc.. I'm becoming a big fan of home cooked meals.

I'm trying to learn how to do that. Been watching a lot of cooking channels lately for that reason.

Demonstrating how they take something that isn't fit for human consumption (under the law) adding a chemical that is dangerous and then serving it as a meal isn't proving McDonalds is not food? What proof do you need?

• Like 3

The problem with undercooked meet happens mostly when you eat carnivore or omnivore meat. Cows fortunately stick to grass. Still, of course, contamination after slaughter is a worry.

that's sort of what i was talking about, yeah. i've seen food handled very poorly during prep, and during the cooking process, and after. i know logically, that the risk is low. but i feel more comfortable erring on the side of caution.

hell, i can't afford to eat out that often anyways.

I'm trying to learn how to do that. Been watching a lot of cooking channels lately for that reason.

the best way to learn is to just cook! and it's the most fun and tasty way.

I prefer the taste of blood when I eat meat.

Unless you slaughter animals yourself you're not tasting any blood in your meat. There is only a tiny fraction of blood left in the muscle after slaughtering. The red liquid is myoglobin. The more myogloblin you have, the redder the meat.

• Like 1

Unless you slaughter animals yourself you're not tasting any blood in your meat. There is only a tiny fraction of blood left in the muscle after slaughtering. The red liquid is myoglobin. The more myogloblin you have, the redder the meat.

myoglobin's chemically similar to hemoglobin...enough so that I'd call it blood.

and also, yes I'll slaughter something from time to time when feeling spunky.

True story. A lot of people don't know that and think it's pure blood. Like you said, the actual blood is only a VERY small fraction of the red "juices"

• Like 1

I myself quit eayting land meat a while ago. Now I just eat sea meat.

Yes, a much more healthy choice. Just don't eat dolphins, please... :passifier:

• Like 1

I would never eat sea mammals! I have high respect for them and would never eat them at all. But what I'm really trying to do is not eat meat of any kind whether it's from the land or sea.

Edited by wondergirl100
  • Like 1

myoglobin's chemically similar to hemoglobin...enough so that I'd call it blood.

and also, yes I'll slaughter something from time to time when feeling spunky.

I know I'm just being pedantic, but hemoglobin is not the only component in blood, and myoglobin is only found in muscle tissue, not the circulatory system, unless due to injury. So myoglobin is not blood.

I know you know this and there is no reason for me to post any of this, I'm just really tired after working all day and have no idea why I am bothering to keep typing... :unsure:

• Like 1

I'd eat dolphin. Not cause I don't like them or think they should be hunted or anything. I just want to eat one while other dolphins are forced to watch.

• Like 1