Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

LADEE Arrives at the Moon

Waspie_Dwarf

LADEE arrives at the moon for lunar science mission

NASA's LADEE spacecraft slipped into orbit around the moon Sunday, beginning a feverish four-month campaign to demonstrate a next-generation laser communications system and answer long-standing questions about the nature and origin of the tenuous lunar atmosphere.

The modest Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer spacecraft, measuring about 7.7 feet tall and 4.7 feet in diameter, fired its liquid-fueled engine at 1057 GMT (6:57 a.m. EDT) for four minutes, allowing the moon's gravity to capture it into a high-altitude orbit over the equator.

Controllers based at NASA's Ames Research Center in California - kept operating despite the partial shutdown of the federal government - oversaw the critical maneuver.

arrow3.gifRead more...

I was hoping for some pics that way the Apollo hoax crowd could choke when, GASP, they look exactly like the Apollo photos!

I was hoping for some pics that way the Apollo hoax crowd could choke when, GASP, they look exactly like the Apollo photos!

Please, this is the second topic I've started on the Moon in two days and the second time someone has had to make an off topic comment about the Apollo hoax theory.

The hoax theory is a fringe theory believed by a tiny minority of scientific illiterates. It is an irrelevance and has no place being mentioned in the science section, There is an entire section for conspiracies, where such comments are welcomed and do not involve hijacking threads on serious, scientific subjects. Can we please, for once, keep a topic about lunar exploration on topic? Thank you.

Rant over, back on topic:

LADEE is specifically designed to observe lunar dust and the tenuous lunar atmosphere. As such it does not carry high resolution cameras for observing the lunar surface. That job is being done by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO).

Oh sorry Waspie, it was a jest. Lordy though, I'm certainly looking forward to what I hope will be a new era of lunar exploration. Even if its not lead by the U.S. and constists largely of probes its still thrilling!

Edited by DecoNoir

If that's all you want then go to NASAs webpage and chech out the lunar surveyor photos. They have all the manned lunar landing sights there for you, and anyone else, to see.

I normally charge go these services but this one is a free bee.

If that's all you want then go to NASAs webpage and chech out the lunar surveyor photos. They have all the manned lunar landing sights there for you, and anyone else, to see.

If you go the Lunar Surveyor page expecting to see images of the Apollo landing sites you will be very disappointed.

The Lunar Surveyor programme consisted of a series of soft landers launched in the late 1960's. The last, Surveyor 7, landed on the Moon in January 1968, a year and a half before the first Apollo landing.

Now, if DecoNoir takes my advice and looks for Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter images he will see the images of the Apollo landing sites.

I normally charge go these services but this one is a free bee.

I wouldn't start charging for information like that if I was you, there will be a lot of demands for refunds.

• Like 1

Hey, I might have got the page wrong, but I'm not the who thinks we never made it there.

And that was why that one was a free bee.

Edited by keninsc