Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does anyone recognize this symbol?

RandomPerson

huh, are there images of the tag being used elsewhere?

Nah...I joined on my mobile and forgot my password...if I could wink I would...

Edited by TopToffee

do you know what gang its affiliated with?

I saw some guys out in Afghan with the tats...hence why I know......no offence meant...

no problem pet...

...Man, I hope that's an aussie thing I dont culturally understand.

I jus got used to my buddy calling me mate like a month ago

• Like 2

It looks like an overlay of 2 symbols..

the first being birth.

5415.gif

The 2nd I don't know, but it's form seems to represent kundalini, but could be Aquarius.

0813.gif

A song comes to mind.. :lol:

Yeah, but Australia has a somewhat large population of European origin....

Also, though I haven't been able to find it yet, it reminds me of some symbols I've seen in the Western magical tradition. It has a definite Hermetic/Alchemical/Ceremonial vibe.

Then why not something more recognizable to European eyes?

The further we stray from the present indigenous culture, the less probable our interpretation. That's precisely why I did not propose the tree of life and the serpent as these symbols (as drawn) have meaning in Native American culture. Someone else mentioned the Rx symbol as a possible source. I view both as highly improbable due to the geographic location, and the dot in the lower right portion of the symbol.

Then why not something more recognizable to European eyes?

If they were going for recognizability, they could have just settled for the usual profanities... :P

The further we stray from the present indigenous culture, the less probable our interpretation. That's precisely why I did not propose the tree of life and the serpent as these symbols (as drawn) have meaning in Native American culture.

The serpent has some sort of meaning in just about every culture...but the Tree of Life is from the Kabbalah of esoteric Judaism. Nothing to do with Native Americans at all. (Or do you perhaps mean the World Tree?)

Someone else mentioned the Rx symbol as a possible source. I view both as highly improbable due to the geographic location, and the dot in the lower right portion of the symbol.

You seem to put great emphasis on geographical location. You do realize that native/Aboriginal Australians make up less than 3% of the Australian population, right...?

Edited by Avallaine

To your second response, yes the world tree. Mormons interpret the same Native American symbol as the "Tree of Life".

To your third response, they do tend to be highly mobile and the glyph is not unlike many of their other glyphs, though I have not found a representation like the vertical "tree" in any of the petroglyphs I've seen. I would also figure with the high number of South East Asians in the country that this might be a symbol indigenous to their culture, but alas, their graffiti tend to incorporate actual writing rather than strict symbology (symbols standing alone without a frame of reference).

I looked into the gang marker thing, but have not found a match there either. At this point I'm stumped.

In case you're wondering why I jumped all over this thread, it's because I've done a lot of research into iconography for use in a variety of products (What symbol do you put on a keypad to indicate a function that is immediately recognizable to the user.) and additional research in OCR applications. It's a large part of our daily lives that everyone takes for granted, but it is really hard sometimes to come up with the right glyph to convey to the user the meaning that you want. It also pretty difficult to teach a machine to understand a stylized font from a symbol used in another language. Humans can intuitively do this, but it's harder to make machines that can reliable do the same.

That explains my approach to the problem, "What is the meaning that the artist wanted to convey?" I'm taking the glyph as three compound parts, the vertical rod with a triangular base, the "serpent" with a curve for the "head" and a nub for the "tail", and the dot, which I figure works in much the same manner with the whole of the glyph as would an accent on a letter, modifying the meaning of the glyph itself. If I could find examples of each component, with the same nuances, from the same culture, then I would say we have a probable match. Culture is very important as it gives the viewer a frame of reference in which to interpret the entire symbol's meaning.

Edited by Kahn

Looks to be an alchemy symbol.

I might have seen it, or something very similar to it, in a book about witchcraft as well.

I saw some guys out in Afghan with the tats...hence why I know......no offence meant...

TopT, tattoos on ISAF/NATO forces, on local Afghan troops or civilians or on Taliban or affiliated fighters? I'm wondering if it's a fairly well-known symbol in the West, or germane more to the East?

Hi.

Does anyone recognize this symbol? I don't know what it means, have been searching the web for some time.

I would greatly appreciate any answer. I've tried to recreate the symbol in mspaint. It can be found by clicking on the link below.

http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlMOFIZA2js

2s1kn89.jpg

Looks like a side-ways trumpet. I think that being the case it's safe to surmise that the ghost of Louis Armstrong is haunting that old abandoned house in the middle of no where.

770px-Louis_Armstrong_restored.jpg

Edited by Mike G

TopT, tattoos on ISAF/NATO forces, on local Afghan troops or civilians or on Taliban or affiliated fighters? I'm wondering if it's a fairly well-known symbol in the West, or germane more to the East?

It was on Aussies assigned to our regiment during my last deployment.Thats all I know cause they went off after a couple of weeks...sorry I couldn't help you more

It was on Aussies assigned to our regiment during my last deployment.Thats all I know cause they went off after a couple of weeks...sorry I couldn't help you more

But you say you saw this sign. Where?

Proof people, proof! Find me an example.

Edited by Kahn