Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does anyone recognize this symbol?

RandomPerson

That was proposed early on, but does not explain the meaning of the dot.

I want to see an image of this tattoo TopT is talking about.

It was on Aussies assigned to our regiment during my last deployment.Thats all I know cause they went off after a couple of weeks...sorry I couldn't help you more

You started off saying they were gang signs. Now you say you saw it on soldiers in your last deployment. Which is it? Or are these gangs infiltrating the army? :S

Gang memebers sometimes join the military as a way to get away from their situation....or to get training to be better at the work

• Like 1

I think he's jerking us around. I was really hoping for an answer.

I think he's jerking us around. I was really hoping for an answer.

He specifically said, "they went off." What left, the symbol or the Aussies? Both? If the Aussies, then some vets would speak the truth. If not, BS. Please stop dishonoring veterans. It makes me want to cry.

Edited by szentgyorgy

bit strong of a reaction...actually let me holler at a buddy of mine hes an aussie w/ family in the millitary maybe he can clar this up

Gang memebers sometimes join the military as a way to get away from their situation....or to get training to be better at the work

But what makes him think the tattoos were gang tattoos? I don't believe what he's saying. Making up a silly story as he goes.

• Like 1

bit strong of a reaction...actually let me holler at a buddy of mine hes an aussie w/ family in the millitary maybe he can clar this up

Thanks. My son was ravaged by the lies and savagery of the Iraq War. I tend to react strongly.

Well, i talked to my guy, he's never seen the symbol before, but Australia's a big place. So it's not confirmed. The lack of details does make it iffy

• Like 1

While trying desperately to avoid any prejudice, the design does seem to me to be rather too abstract to be a gang-symbol. Not that I am familiar with gangs, certainly not Australian gangs, but aren't their identifying symbols and tattoos usually a bit more...ummmm...'earthy' and 'direct'?

But, then again, what do I know?

Maybe it's a gang of Australian Alchemists. :mellow:

• Like 1

It looks very much like some African shamanic power symbols. Certain groups have their own pictures and are usually secret. Thought this one is far more simple than most. Somone in an African priest hood shared with me their secret symbol. It has strikingly similar characteristics. I gave my word not to share it. But I'd be willing to bet your symbol is closely related to certain traditions associated with African spirituality or even voodoo. My guess its is a ward for spirits.

https://www.google.com/search?q=voodoo+symbols&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=12ZZUviDDKqJiwKnjoD4BQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAA&biw=320&bih=416&dpr=2#biv=i%7C12%3Bd%7CmpKQ2JDd639w6M%3A

Edited by White Crane Feather

I meant no disrespect towards the Australian military, guys. I felt the poster was being disingenuous.

As far as the symbol goes, the voodoo thing is interesting, though I don't know what the prevalence of voodoo practitioners is in Australia.

The closest I could get to any combination of symbols was this: http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/54/5428.html

Taking the vodoo and african symbols ideas into consideration.

its seems reasonable to connect it to something involving the Aborigonal People. It being out in the middle of nowhere could also indicate that this is a possibility.

And, it being taken up as a symbol that is tattooed by some people makes it being and Aboriginal Symbol seem like a distinct possibility

I meant no disrespect towards the Australian military, guys. I felt the poster was being disingenuous.

As far as the symbol goes, the voodoo thing is interesting, though I don't know what the prevalence of voodoo practitioners is in Australia.

The closest I could get to any combination of symbols was this: http://www.symbols.c...ia/54/5428.html

I was only referring to TopT's evasiveness.

It's amazing what people will read into an MS Paint rendition of a symbol with no info about it other than it was found in an abandoned house in the Australian countryside.

So far people have posited that it might be a symbol to do with angels, a symbol of protection, the dot might represent god, a gang sign, a mixture of 2 symbols to do with birth and kundalini, an alchemy symbol, caduceus, rod of Asclepius, or an African shamanic power symbol that's a ward for spirits.

This all just sounds like wild guesswork.

• Like 1

It's amazing what people will read into an MS Paint rendition of a symbol with no info about it other than it was found in an abandoned house in the Australian countryside.

Exactly, hence why I'm looking for anything similar in context.

the OP's name was RandomPerson, and they havent contributed in forever.

I think this is at a dead end

• Like 1

rainbow serpent myth of the aboriginal australians is a possability. dot could be water hole in the myth. just a thought .

It's a voodoo Veve.

The drawing detail is very specific to voodoo Veve. It's seems hand drawn and modified however. It's not the ones you might see on Wall down in new Orleans, exactly . It's for a very specific diety as well.

But I allegedly know nothing about this *coughs*,so I will leave it at that.

• Like 1

It looks to be a lot in the style of satanic seals for certain demons.. But, like the others said, I think it is a healing symbol, or at least nothing harmful.

oooh, I want to play, this is like pictionary?

It's a worm playing a trumpet with a tennis ball

• Like 1

It looks to be a lot in the style of satanic seals for certain demons.. But, like the others said, I think it is a healing symbol, or at least nothing harmful.

You're referring to goetia sigils. It's not.

So far people have posited that it might be a symbol to do with angels, a symbol of protection, the dot might represent god, a gang sign, a mixture of 2 symbols to do with birth and kundalini, an alchemy symbol, caduceus, rod of Asclepius, or an African shamanic power symbol that's a ward for spirits.

Yes educated guess work ;) as I mentioned I have seen these things before and it is strikingly similar. If its not something of that nature it certainly is inspired by it. The pic I linked to is a Voodoo symbol that has its origins in African shamanism and there are several similar African shamanic religions that us similar pictograms.

Australian Aboriginal imagery is much more natural and practical then the more evolved ( I use that term loosely) African or modified African spiritual systems.