Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teenager uses shrimp to clean his teeth

Still Waters

These unique photos capture the moment a boy has his teeth picked clean by amazing underwater shrimp.

These fascinating creatures spend their lives diving inside the mouths of fish to remove the parasites that lurk there.

Russell Laman imitated the behaviour of the surrounding fish swarm to entice the cleaner shrimp into his mouth whilst snorkelling with his father Tim Laman in Bali, Indonesia.

http://www.dailymail...-fish-Bali.html

• Like 1

How amazing! I almost can't believe it and if there wasn't photos , I wouldn't. :tu:

They're pretty popular in the aquarium trade. Marine fish keepers use them to keep their tanks tidy. I use tiny freshwater shrimp as janitors for my planted tank. Had no idea in their utility as teeth cleaners though. Combine those with the garra rufa fish, otherwise known as Dr Fish, that nibble at the dead skin cells on your feet, and you can have a head-to-toe spa day.

640px-Doctor_fish2.jpg

Kid was just another fish... to the shrimp.

-------------------------------------------------------

I remember looking under the microscope at our fish tank water and filter goo. I'd pass on sticking my feet in with them.

I'd be scared one would crawl down my throat. Bleh.

Somehow this doesn't sound very sanitary to a human.

But he would make a great contestant on a "Fear Factor" gross-out episode, that's for sure.

• Like 1