Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Affordable Health Care registration - torture

Raptor Witness

270+ million of us already do.

By choice. You think the mandate is for the 30 million that don't? Wrong if you do. The mandate is for all 300 million of us. My wife had healthcare until she quit her job. Now she doesn't...poof...30 million and one.

Why doesn't the Government mandate that we all buy car insurance?

You don't have to get health insurance. You'll just get fined. I'm ok with that.

yes, that's what seems to be the problem with this particular system. I suppose you could say the same with (for example) the UK system, where it's paid for out of taxes, and if you don't pay taxes it tends to be frowned upon, but because it comes out of the general tax pool it isn't seen as being 'forced' to pay for the NHS (and, apart from the super-rich, most people seem to be quite satisfied that money from taxes does go towards it.)

Sorry. we don't negotiate with terrorists. They'll just do it again.

Ah you give it away; you are a DNC shill.
  • Like 2

BS

It's not BS. It is almost exactly what the republicans proposed previously. Didn't you know that?!

By choice. You think the mandate is for the 30 million that don't? Wrong if you do. The mandate is for all 300 million of us.

Let me try to explain. If you already have insurance (270 million do) then the mandate DOES NOT APPLY. What part of that do you not understand?

Why doesn't the Government mandate that we all buy car insurance?

gee. it does. almost everywhere. Are you an uninsured driver? If so, please never travel to Illinois. thx.

Let me try to explain. If you already have insurance (270 million do) then the mandate DOES NOT APPLY. What part of that do you not understand?

That whole "Free" part. As if the government is going to give a crap enough to make sure that the only people paying for this are the ones who actually use it? Quit dreaming, D.

Ah you give it away; you are a DNC shill.

how exactly? If you give into to extortion demands they will do it again. The gop has proven that over the last few years. Their own demands get bigger and bigger as if they somehow won an election instead of losing it.

but regardless, you don't extort, hold ransom, the government to get your way. It's wrong and it will always be wrong. Gee what if the Democrats refused to fund the government unless the passed a 90% tax rate, or repealed the 2nd amendment, or mandated equal redistricting, or a hundred other things. It's just insane. There is a very well defined way to change laws and this is NOT it.

That whole "Free" part. As if the government is going to give a crap enough to make sure that the only people paying for this are the ones who actually use it?

what "free" part? an insurance policy has premiums that have to be paid. There are well known subsidies that apply to the very poor. This information has been available for years now. The only people paying for their insurance policy are those buying it in exchanges that are currrently uninsured. You can't use an insurance policy you haven't got or paid for. Your post makes no sense to me.

what "free" part? an insurance policy has premiums that have to be paid. There are well known subsidies that apply to the very poor. This information has been available for years now. The only people paying for their insurance policy are those buying it in exchanges that are currrently uninsured. You can't use an insurance policy you haven't got or paid for. Your post makes no sense to me.

If the premiums met the cost of the services there'd be no need for it in the first place. The whole premise of this slop is that people are uninsured because they can't afford it. So yeah my post won't make sense to you because I don't understand your govt magic. So Obamacare is going to be the first fiscally responsible health care program ever that doesn't spiral into a vortex of debt. Pee on my head and tell me it's raining why dont ya.

• Like 1

If the premiums met the cost of the services there'd be no need for it in the first place. The whole premise of this slop is that people are uninsured because they can't afford it.

Um no. They are uninsured for a variety of reasons. Job loss, pre-existing conditions, availability, age, affordability, etc.

"if premiums net the cost of services there be no need of it" - REaally?! On what planet do you live? I suppose if our healthcare system was setup in some other way, then sure. But it's not and won't ever will be.

It's odd that the people who were pushing for ACA so the "poor" could afford insurance now think the "poor" can afford an extra $300 to $500 a month. The justification has become that they will get a portion of that back at the end of the tax year. Fat lot of good that does if they can barely pay their bills right now without being on public assistance.

Um no. They are uninsured for a variety of reasons. Job loss, pre-existing conditions, availability, age, affordability, etc.

All those reasons combined and more, and they're still uninsured either because they can't afford it, or they don't want it.

• Like 1

It's called the "Affordable Health Care Act" and affordability is the central crux of why it exists in the first place. The bill is so convoluted and confusing, one would need a hard copy, an electronic copy, and a law library just to be able to read through it and make any sense of it. Obamacare does nothing to lower the real costs of health care. If the premiums don't meet the costs, then none of these costs are going to be paid by the recipients of those services who are paying those premiums, they're going to be paid for by the taxpayers. That's how everyone is on the hook. Let's entertain the ridiculous notion that premiums will meet or exceed costs for a moment. What fantasy trust fund are those premiums going into? That money will be spent immediately by government on all manner of unrelated BS just like the other fantasy trust funds the politicians love to talk about as if they actually exist. To claim otherwise, if Obama actually told the truth, would be an admission that it's yet another federally mandated ponzi scheme.

• Like 2

It's called the "Affordable Health Care Act" and affordability is the central crux of why it exists in the first place. The bill is so convoluted and confusing, one would need a hard copy, an electronic copy, and a law library just to be able to read through it and make any sense of it. Obamacare does nothing to lower the real costs of health care. If the premiums don't meet the costs, then none of these costs are going to be paid by the recipients of those services who are paying those premiums, they're going to be paid for by the taxpayers. That's how everyone is on the hook. Let's entertain the ridiculous notion that premiums will meet or exceed costs for a moment. What fantasy trust fund are those premiums going into? That money will be spent immediately by government on all manner of unrelated BS just like the other fantasy trust funds the politicians love to talk about as if they actually exist. To claim otherwise, if Obama actually told the truth, would be an admission that it's yet another federally mandated ponzi scheme.

Another federally mandated ponzi scheme that will enslave every one of us....eventually.

• Like 1

It's odd that the people who were pushing for ACA so the "poor" could afford insurance now think the "poor" can afford an extra $300 to $500 a month.

not at all. that would be in states that didn't setup exchanges and do the medicaid expansion. you know, red states. Those that are trying to screw the poor. Texas is one of the largest.

It's called the "Affordable Health Care Act" and affordability is the central crux of why it exists in the first place. The bill is so convoluted and confusing, one would need a hard copy, an electronic copy, and a law library just to be able to read through it and make any sense of it.

no it's really not. And there are many places that can summarize it for you.

Obamacare does nothing to lower the real costs of health care.

actually it does a lot of things to do that. And is demonstrably doing so.

Prove it. I have not heard one story of an affordable insurance package or one story of premiums being lowered and most of the stories I hear are personal testimonies from fellow UMers.

• Like 1

no it's really not. And there are many places that can summarize it for you.

Just like those "lot of things" that trouble you about Obama since he's been in office that you haven't mentioned yet.

Let us know...

I'm still in limbo here. I have tried researching what the term "multi-tax" household means on the Internet, which is what the web portal told me "I was," when I applied. It then said that I couldn't apply until Dec. 1st, because of this apparently "special" classification.

I am completely in the dark about what my status is. Then, I got an e-mail that said, ... "You have a new message waiting for you in your Marketplace account." Sounds like promising stuff, huh?

So I click on the link that follows this notice, and I go straight to the "Site is Down for Maintenance" hell screen, which is what happens every night after Midnight. If you're a night owl, this is really hopeless, and nobody answers the phone after Midnight, either.

I'm certain, that if the Republicans hadn't shut down the government when they did, this would've been the lead story, and they would be reaping the rewards of "I told you so ...."

However, they have the foresight of ants on that Hill, which is the only positive thing that I see coming out of this. Obama is saved again, only this time by the sudden mental illness of the right.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 2

Update: For the third time, I went to the Kaiser Family Foundation website that has a calculator for the expected premiums I may have to pay.

If I'm doing it right, then my rate will indeed be almost identical to my cell phone bill, which is what President Obama has touted.

If this is the correct premium, then I don't have a problem with it. I'll just have to get rid of my phone.

The biggest problem I still see with this is the glaring possibility that if I divorce my wife, I'll pay a much lower premium. Unless they fix that aspect of this, I don't see it being a good thing for marriage in the U.S. You'd have to be crazy to get married, as opposed to shacking up, because the premium savings will dwarf any joint tax benefit.

Of course, what might happen is the IRS could be given the authority to check your bedroom activities, to see if you're sleeping together and for how long, to determine if you've become a common law, married couple. I'm sure that the NSA will be happy to share whatever they have in their archives. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out if you've been having sex with the same person for awhile.

• Like 3

. Unless they fix that aspect of this, I don't see it being a good thing for marriage in the U.S.

again please don't think the ACA is affecting everyone. 270million of us already have insurance.

again please don't think the ACA is affecting everyone. 270million of us already have insurance.

The main point is to affect everyone. It's supposed to make healthcare more affordable all around. It funny how your detest for anyone who doesn't have insurance allows you to completely ignore the serious financial issues this law brings about for them so long as they are forced to gamble with you.

• Like 3