Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Human-like flying creature sighted in Chile

UM-Bot

A strange report has emerged from Chile this week detailing sightings of a peculiar winged creature.

The report focuses on the testimony of a young man who witnessed a mysterious animal flying between two trees near Bustamante Park in Santiago de Chile. It was described as measuring up to two meters in height with a body shape that resembled that of a manta ray.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/255886/human-like-flying-creature-sighted-in-chile

My initial thought is probably some species of giant bat. We need either pictures or biological samples(both preferred) to determine what we are dealing with.

• Like 2

The pic definitely looks like some sort of a bat.

VY58bAL.gif

Hmm, I posted this 4 days ago

post 45 here

http://www.unexplain...ic=255640&st=30

Human-size-fiant-bat-hoax.jpg

Perspective+is+everything.+This+is+a+normal-sized+bat+but+it+s+_dea8991559c00eb18f59645d6964f960.png

It first appeared, at least in 2012

[media=]

[/media]

Now the first pic is a fake, or a perspective illusion at best, so a known hoax... and again it was Chile, perhaps the latest story is a variation of the former?

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

I don't think any of them are really "fake" - they're just forced perspective shots set up to make the bat look much larger than it really is.

• Like 1

And the flying fox has a wingspan up to 2 meters

I don't think any of them are really "fake" - they're just forced perspective shots set up to make the bat look much larger than it really is.

maybe not fake but this image is defo doctored, note above the bats head what looks like a big knife? Knifes that size would be swords

Human-size-fiant-bat-hoax.jpg

But in the vid I posted ...the knife/sword has been removed from the image/video....why is that then? :lol:

wheres the knife gone??

Edited by seeder

[media=]

[/media]

This thing is adorable, I so want one, haha

Check the video length for the full clip.

Edited by Talion

Hoax report

Director of the Australian Bat Clinic, Trish Wimberley, said that while some species of bats can have wingspans that stretch up to 1.7m, no bat could grow to the size shown in the picture.

She said the image was likely doctored or taken from a perspective to make the bat appear larger than it actually is. "You only need to look at the knife above the picture to see the proportion of the bat to the proportion of the knife," Ms Wimberley said.

"It’s like when you catch a fish, if you hold it in front of you it looks gigantic." A species of bat known as the giant golden-crowned flying fox or golden-capped fruit bat is found in the Philippines and can grow a wingspan as large as 1.7m, but the animal that appears in the photo does not have golden coloured fur on its head.

http://www.ufo-blogger.com/2012/10/human-size-bat-caught-in-peru.html

• Like 1

Considering that South America is home to more species than anywhere else in the world, including the largest members of the bat family, I don't see anything out of the ordinary save for maybe a slight exaggeration in size.

• Like 1

Probably a large bat but it brought images to my mind of the Mothman while I was reading it.

Grey-headed flying fox in flight..

jNdrUmA.jpg

Considering that South America is home to more species than anywhere else in the world, including the largest members of the bat family, I don't see anything out of the ordinary save for maybe a slight exaggeration in size.

The largest members of the bat family are the Flying Foxes and they are native to S.E. Asia, I believe the largest known bat is the Golden Capped Fruit Bat (a Flying Fox) native to the Philippine Islands. Also this "bat" or whatever was supposed to be feeding on a dog carcass; Flying Foxes are fruit eaters.

Its those flying witch like things that Monster Quest investigated

“My wife and I saw this creature in one of the towers of the San Francisco church in Santa Isabel, and it was eating something similar to a dog. I think that if you inspect this tower you will find its remains."

If anyone in Chile takes this story seriously, they will go look for the remains of the dog that was supposedly eaten and do a necropsy. DNA from the saliva would be found on the corpse for sure.

Seems like such a simple solution but I realize money, time, interest... blah blah...

Grey-headed flying fox in flight..

jNdrUmA.jpg

This is a great shot! Never seen a bat from this perspective, I want to rub his little belly.

Edited by Lava_Lady

Bit of a pointless story this with out pictures and being promoted by a jurno that like to make things up.

Like Calibeliever said...i was thinking Mothman.From the description,seems to fit.Now if some terrible event happens where this ting was seen,well then Mothman would be likely.

Hi folk, about this news...

Human-like flying creature sighted in Chile

1. The photo in the Unexplained headline isn't the photo of Chile's creature in this specific happening. The picture in the link - http://inexplicata.blogspot.co.uk/ - in fact - is a representation drawed by a witness. But the photo of the creture, flying, is here...

tw910131.jpg

This photo, was worked with +100% contrast and +17% of illumination, defining a few more, the silhouette of the figure.

SOURCE: http://brazilweirdnews.blogspot.com.br/2013/10/gargoyles-at-chile-e-puerto-rico-new.html

RELATED LINK - AUG/17/2012.

Puerto Rico - Goatsuckers, Gargoyles & Vampires

http://brazilweirdnews.blogspot.com.br/2012/08/puerto-rico-goatsuckers-gargoyles.html

goatsucker05.JPG

• Like 1

that flying picture really looks like something out of a Godzilla era movie from back when.

The bat thing makes most sense i'd say.

still, big enough for me to say a big ol' cuppa "hell no" to South America