Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Astronaut debunks myths about space travel

Waspie_Dwarf

Astronaut debunks myths about space travel

Recently retired US astronaut debunked two myths about space travel while visiting the University of Canterbury (UC) yesterday.

Marsha Ivins, who has travelled almost 27 million miles in space and spent more than 55 days in space, has orbited the Earth 990 times. She was a veteran of five shuttle missions, including one to the International Space Station.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 2

I think they train in a descending plane! = Weightlessness..

& I don't think many, if any man made structures can be seen from space?

I think they train in a descending plane! = Weightlessness..

The vomit comet is hardly a secret. It follows a parabolic flight path which causes brief periods of weightlessness, however most training for weightlessness, especially for spacewalks is done in water tanks.

& I don't think many, if any man made structures can be seen from space?

You are wrong. MANY man made structures are visible from space:

Man-made structures visible from earth orbit without magnification (by mechanical aids such as a camera or binoculars) include highways, dams, and cities.

Source: wikipedia

Also (not in the wiki) i've read the spotlight shooting out from the top of the Luxor hotel in Vegas is clearly visible from space.

Righty O...

Cleaned thread. Please refrain from personal comment, and remember typing in all caps is considered SHOUTING and very poor form

• Like 1

Righty O...

Cleaned thread. Please refrain from personal comment, and remember typing in all caps is considered SHOUTING and very poor form

...and right after i posted a well thought out post haha

This is in my neck of the Woods, Might be worth the visit.. Interesting, Thanks Waspie

the article couldn't quite hold up with its headline, because basically, she just "debunks" the visibility of the great wall of china from space (which i thought was common knowledge already) and tells us they have no anti-gravity-room over at NASAs' to train in (if they HAD, i would surely also be able to take my Hoverboard to work.. ;) )

but at least i learned a new expression in reading further: they really call those zero-gravity-training planes "VOMIT COMET"??

Dang, i gotta start a band and give it this name!!! :):tu:

I dunno why i always thought the vomit comet was a name for some subway train in new york....live an learn :whistle:

• Like 1