Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Glowing Owls

Cynical Sounds

Morning

I was just wondering really is there any real evidence for the glowing barn owls, and the luminescent fungal theory.

Personally I believe its just reflected light but I was just wondering if anyone knew of any scientific research into the matter

for those who don't know what I'm on about here's a link to a good overview with plenty of sources (most anecdotal)

http://www.owlpages.com/articles.php?section=Studies+and+Papers&title=Min+Min&page=1

Ah forgot about his "glowbird" thing

Another thread for Smugfish to derail with mutant hyrax/glowbirds...

What a marvelous reputation.

I've never heard of this, but it is relevant to my interests...I love owls. B-but...GLOWING OWLS!?

I've never heard of this, but it is relevant to my interests...I love owls. B-but...GLOWING OWLS!?

I always thought it was just a local myth until I stumbled over it again a little while back. it seems it quite wide spread, everywhere from UK to Australia and there are many theories attached to it.

I used to believe this was just a myth, too, but they are actually quite common.

So any photos of these common birds?

Another thread for Smugfish to derail with mutant hyrax/glowbirds...

He's recently been banned. No more of that nonsense.

He's recently been banned. No more of that nonsense.

He finally got banned? Huh, didn't think that would happen, he was an entertaining troll if a frustrating one.

I've never heard of glowing owls before, interesting :)

So any photos of these common birds?

I'm hardly going to go running through the woods to find one, but they are a common occurrence in my area (and in general). I've seen them myself on a few occasions, usually while driving at night. It makes them easier to see on the road!

Edited by BettyTheYeti

A glowing barn owl might have an evolutionary advantage over a non-glowing one if the glow illuminated more prey than it alerted to the owl's presence. But then the question would have to be "Why are there non-glowing barn owls?"

I'm doubtful: it's not like a glowing, fairly common bird would be all that hard to find.

Edited by PersonFromPorlock

If i might suggest a non-glowing suggestion.

Couldn't they just be white, and at nighttime when you see them you'd more than likely have a light on them/ headlights on and the reflection of the light makes them appear to be glowing?

If i might suggest a non-glowing suggestion.

Couldn't they just be white, and at nighttime when you see them you'd more than likely have a light on them/ headlights on and the reflection of the light makes them appear to be glowing?

well it the idea that makes the most sense to me. Just wondered what others thought and if any one knew if anyone had actually looked into the bio-luminescent fungus idea or if it was just a pie in the sky theory that some how became the "best" explanation

While I can appareciate the movment of some lo-level LITs might suggest a hunting bird, I can also see more sense in the idea that Barn Owls are just reflecting ever-increasing ground-based lighting. A Barn Owl is after a stealth hunter, bioluminescence isn't going to help an individual bird's hunting and thereby survival.

• Like 1

While I can appareciate the movment of some lo-level LITs might suggest a hunting bird, I can also see more sense in the idea that Barn Owls are just reflecting ever-increasing ground-based lighting. A Barn Owl is after a stealth hunter, bioluminescence isn't going to help an individual bird's hunting and thereby survival.

I just pictured owls using spot lights from their bellies to scope out field mice, and I laughed entirely too hard. I need to go to bed.

Edited by Shrine Builder

Morning

I was just wondering really is there any real evidence for the glowing barn owls, and the luminescent fungal theory.

Personally I believe its just reflected light but I was just wondering if anyone knew of any scientific research into the matter

for those who don't know what I'm on about here's a link to a good overview with plenty of sources (most anecdotal)

http://www.owlpages....=Min Min&page=1

Owls typically hunt small forest floor animals like mice. It turns out bio-luminescent fungi are quite common in places were owls might live. I suppose it is possible for owls to chase prey into ground cover and end up wearing bits of luminescent fungi in the process. That seems totally plausible.