Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

French Outcry Over English Lessons

DC09

report calling for all school children in France to learn English has started a heated debate.

The report, part of a review of the French education system, said English should be made compulsory.

According to Le Monde, it says pupils should leave school with the language of "international communication".

The Prime Minister Jean-Pierre Raffarin is said to back the proposal, but some politicians are against it.

In England, the government has been criticised for removing the compulsion for children over the age of 14 to learn any foreign language.

Instead of "force-feeding" children languages at GCSE level, the government says it wants to encourage language-learning at primary school.

All children aged seven in England will have an "entitlement" to learn a language by 2010, it says.

Arabic

France's report said standards of English in schools were poor and worsening.

Its conclusions have been challenged by some politicians, including one deputy from the ruling UMP party, Jacques Myard.

He told Le Monde: "English is the most-spoken language today, but that won't last."

He said Spanish, Chinese and Arabic were all growing in importance.

"If we must make a language compulsory, it should be Arabic," he said.

Full Article

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Talon

• Scorpius

• DC09

• AztecInca

Top Posters In This Topic

"If we must make a language compulsory, it should be Arabic," he said.

Get bent, that isn't even a European language

Actually Arabic sounds like an interesting language. I heard that it's a the hardest language to speak with different mechanical and grammatical systems, which makes it easier for Arabic speaking people to easily learn other languages quickly. And writing from right to left seems easier for me.

Sometimes, at work, I'd write my forms or whatever from right to left...iunno...it's different and it helps me think backwords and forwards. grin2.gif Thinking is good.

If it was possible, I'd learn every language on earth.

Edited by Blue-Scorpion

I actually agree with Talon...English is the most widely spoken language in the world and, if you're going to go to another country for any kind of buisiness, it's far more likely that english will be the common language...

What's the point of learning Arabic anyway if it's so easy for them to learn english, and are speaking it anyway? huh.gif Let's not start bumbling around and try and change the universal means of communication tongue.gif

*was under the impression that school was about equipping kids for the future*

Arabic, although it is widely spoken and would benefit those who learn it, english is by far the most spoken language on earth. Chinese, is catching though and soon I believe that we should be taught that at schools!

I agree with Tal and Sera tongue.gif . English is the universal language of the world and Spanish a close second. As for Arabic!? wacko.gif If they are thinking about something like that then they could be more constructive and teach Latin instead seeing as its the foundation of modern day English.

He told Le Monde: "English is the most-spoken language today, but that won't last."

Some would say he is saying this because he is a Frenchman! grin2.gif Oh and I think its important that children learn a second language and for example Spanish seeing as its the second biggest language and used in business all the time.

Edited by Lottie

Lets get down to it, in today’s world most countries learn two foreign languages 1. English, because its become the Universal for because first the UK controlled 25% of the world and made everyone speak it, and even more so the US, because if you want to trade you do it with them 2. A second language is usually your neighbours because you'll usually have strong bonds or trading with them.

France's neighbours are all European, none are Arabic. It makes sense for them to learn English, Spanish, German etc not Arabic. Lets get down the truth here, the demands to speak Arabic come because its population is now 10% Arab. However, it was them who choose to move to France, not the French who decided to move to them. Therefore THEY and their French-born children should adapt to the French way of life, not expect the French to adapt to theirs.