Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is it time for Obama to give back his Nobel?

questionmark

Tomorrow we hear who has won this year's Nobel Peace Prize. Of course, most of the previous recipients have been deserving. Some less so. When Henry Kissinger was awarded it in 1973, Tom Lehrer quipped that the prize, "made political satire obsolete."

The same could be said about the award that went to Barack Obama in 2009. It summed up his whole political career – celebrated before he'd actually done anything, the jar into which millions of liberals poured their dreams, and, most importantly, an utter disappointment when in office. Barack Obama deserves a peace prize in the way that Pat Robertson deserves the trophy for Mr Gay USA 2013. Consider the evidence:

- Far from ending the adventurism of his predecessor, Barack Obama surged troop numbers in Afghanistan, bombed Libya and was only prevented from going into Syria by public opposition to the sheer insanity of the idea.

Read more

• Like 4

Well he won it for no other reason than not being Bush so it's not like he earned it or anything. I think giving it back would be a good move.

• Like 2

Oh no, not at all. He didn't manage to persuade Congress to allow him a War in Syria, so surely that should qualify him for another Peace Prize.

• Like 2

Oh no, not at all. He didn't manage to persuade Congress to allow him a War in Syria, so surely that should qualify him for another Peace Prize.

Didn't Congress b**** at him for not bombing Syria? Saying it make the US look weak? :P

Clearly the GOP should get the Peace Prize for shutting down the US government and stopping them from doing anything remotely warlike. ;)

• Like 3

I never understood why he got it in the first place...sure I had my sarcastic thinking...but seriously...he had just been elected...he hadn't done anything but be the first black president...I didn't know you could get a peace prize for what people "thought" you might do in the future. hell, give me one...I "might" cure a disease or figure out faster than light travel...should be just as much justification as what they had for giving him one.

• Like 3

This topic is posted 4 years too late. Then again as I recall it probably was posted then as well.

• Like 2

Maybe he got it because he was a black man elected as president in a country with a history of racial segregation. Up until about 40 or so years ago of course. I'd count that as being a good thing.

Maybe he got it because he was a black man elected as president in a country with a history of racial segregation. Up until about 40 or so years ago of course. I'd count that as being a good thing.

America should have gotten it, not Obama. Obama didn't do anything! This was America's achievement, not his....

• Like 4

When you list all the countries the US hasn't threatened, bombed, invaded, taken military action or instigated revolution in, against those it has during his time in office, you can see why he deserves that Peace Prize. :mellow:

• Like 2

no you can't.

according to your logic Putin deserves one every year,

and he pbly does deserve one a lot more than obama

Edited by aztek

America should have gotten it, not Obama. Obama didn't do anything! This was America's achievement, not his....

Ok, but without him getting elected your point is null.

• Like 1

And so is this entire conversation for that matter. He deserved the historical recognition and that is it. It is the voters who made the great strides. All he did was try and he certainly isn't the first black guy to try. If anything he deserved the honorary lawyers award of Duey, Cheatem & Howe for the mass scale duping he pulled.

• Like 2

I don't see your point...."America" elected him. They deserve the prize for looking past skin color. Racism is not as virulently rampant as the MSM crowd likes to think....I think America has really progressed in that area.

• Like 4

I understand he won the prize for what he, being a black man inspired ? whether it was a reflection of how far we have come on racism but isnt every new leader supposed to inspire hope and a better future, this is political rhetoric so in theory every president and leader should win one, I think the peace prize is a joke very few people actually deserve and get it.

Edited by ciriuslea
  • Like 1

I understand he won the prize for what he, being a black man inspired ? whether it was a reflection of how far we have come on racism but isnt every new leader supposed to inspire hope and a better future, this is political rhetoric so in theory every president and leader should win one, I think the peace prize is a joke very few people actually deserve and get it.

Well, they did give it to Henry Kissinger, so that ought to tell you a lot right there.... :(

• Like 2

If he were a man of integrity, he wouldn't have accepted it in the first place.

• Like 8

And so is this entire conversation for that matter. He deserved the historical recognition and that is it. It is the voters who made the great strides. All he did was try and he certainly isn't the first black guy to try. If anything he deserved the honorary lawyers award of Duey, Cheatem & Howe for the mass scale duping he pulled.

That's laughable. All of the work he put in to get where he is, and it's only the American people? I understand what you're saying, but without him it also wouldn't have been possible. Him getting a peace prize was rightly justified, in my eyes anyway.

He has done nothing to further the cause of peace....Oh...he helped blow Libya into chaos as part of NATO alliance...he killed Bin laden and he routinely uses drone strikes in Afghanistan and Pakistan...often with civilian casualties,,,or as the GOV says...."collateral damage"...do not deny the civilian death tolls...this is common, world wide information...

So when did they start handing out peace prizes to a person that has never furthered the cause of peace? Who did nothing but get elected as an African American? That is not a peace accomplishment...sure, it was an accomplishment...but not worthy of the Nobel Peace Prize...sorry...never convince me it was...

• Like 2

He has done nothing to further the cause of peace....Oh...he helped blow Libya into chaos as part of NATO alliance...he killed Bin laden and he routinely uses drone strikes in Afghanistan and Pakistan...often with civilian casualties,,,or as the GOV says...."collateral damage"...do not deny the civilian death tolls...this is common, world wide information...

So when did they start handing out peace prizes to a person that has never furthered the cause of peace? Who did nothing but get elected as an African American? That is not a peace accomplishment...sure, it was an accomplishment...but not worthy of the Nobel Peace Prize...sorry...never convince me it was...

He also gives weapons to terrorists and Mexican drug cartels.... How in the world does that help world peace?? :(

Edited by Burt Gummer
  • Like 1

Yes, when they give him the prize I know that they had a crystal ball handy.

Anyone who doesn't think an African American getting elected as president in a country that was until recently, full of hatred towards that race, is clearly not seeing things right. Let me ask you this; how is that not an accomplishment?

Edited by andy4

Yes, when they give him the prize I know that they had a crystal ball handy.

Anyone who doesn't think an African American getting elected as president in a country that was until recently, full of hatred towards that race, is clearly not seeing things right. Let me ask you this; how is that not an accomplishment?

Obama is not responsible for that. Right guy, right time but he certainly is not the responsible for that slow going accomplishment. Nobody knew him before then.

• Like 2

Him getting elected was an accomplishment...just not worthy of a "Nobel Peace Prize"...gimme a break....that stands for something....being the first African American President does not equate to a Peace prize....maybe to those that set aside racial differences and elected him...but not him...he has done nothing but try to put everyone into war and conflict....

try again...

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 2