Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is it time for Obama to give back his Nobel?

questionmark

There are/were many women back then, and even now, who would disagree with your assessment of how they are/were treated (and thought of) by men.

I agree with what you're saying, but we are talking about an entire race of people in this instance. They were brought here expressly to be slaves, and nothing more. I'd say that men and women get along better than seperate races of people, for the most part.

This is what he was given it for, according to the Nobel people: ""for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

What's petty and small minded for saying that his promotion of peace and international diplomacy has looked pretty feeble, apart from being unable to have a war because he's so ineffectual? That's a pretty negative achievement, isn't it. Surely appointing John Kerry as America's Top Diplomat should be grounds in itself for forcing him to give it back. :-/

And has he in fact promoted peace between races? Has racial conflict in the US noticeably diminished as a result of him being President?

He hosted the Beer Summit.

That was a grand achievement.

I found it strange as well, 12 days into office and he gets one for a bunch of broken promises...

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2009/10/09/so_what_did_obama_do_to_get_the_nobel_peace_prize

THis year I'd say he really does deserve one...putin i mean

Damn right, I don't know if it was specificaly Putin himself, but avoiding a potential move towards WW3 has to amount to something. Who was p***y faced the whole damn time wishing to take unilateral action to strike first and let god sort em out?

That's laughable. All of the work he put in to get where he is, and it's only the American people? I understand what you're saying, but without him it also wouldn't have been possible. Him getting a peace prize was rightly justified, in my eyes anyway.

Every politician puts in work. Obama set a new precedent with the amount of money spent in 2008, over 700 million, verses McCains 333 mill. Obama was nominated 12 days after his inauguration, for issuing a bunch of **** that never came to fruition. Most people still want to pull the race card for some reason, grow the hell up.

• Like 1

The States accomplished something no one thought possible, and it was Obama who brought it about. This was genuine history -- something that will be remembered long after the details of Obama's presidency are forgotten. No one else could have done it.

All the after-the-fact sniping is just petty and small and foolish, with a nice big whiff of racism built in. And if the Peace Prize doesn't mean anything, why the fuss?

The States accomplished something no one thought possible, and it was Obama who brought it about. This was genuine history -- something that will be remembered long after the details of Obama's presidency are forgotten. No one else could have done it.

All the after-the-fact sniping is just petty and small and foolish, with a nice big whiff of racism built in. And if the Peace Prize doesn't mean anything, why the fuss?

So the achievement was electing him because he was of partly Kenyan ancestry? Regardless of how useless he turned out to be? Isn't that just going back to electing people based on their looks rather than how good they are at the job?

• Like 1

And sexist men are what kept Hillary and Palin out of the White House.

I strongly disagree; Obama overcame huge obstacles and achieved a great thing for the States that changed the way many around the world view the country.

I strongly disagree; Obama overcame huge obstacles and achieved a great thing for the States that changed the way many around the world view the country.

Even a black man is better than having a woman in the White House...unless of course if she's in the kitchen.

Even a black man is better than having a woman in the White House...unless of course if she's in the kitchen.

Give me strength. That is about the stupidest bit of sexism I have ever seen. Why should he be denied his due because he defeated a woman? He also defeated a guy from Arizona. Does that mean Arizonans have to stay in the kitchen?

And sexist men are what kept Hillary and Palin out of the White House.

I might agree with you on Hillary, Michelle, but draw the line at Palin!

Hillary would (and would have), I think, do (done) a good job while Palin was (and still is) simply not up to the demands the position expects.

• Like 2

Give me strength. That is about the stupidest bit of sexism I have ever seen. Why should he be denied his due because he defeated a woman? He also defeated a guy from Arizona. Does that mean Arizonans have to stay in the kitchen?

Do you mean to tell me that the men who didn't vote for her in the primaries or say they don't agree with her politics aren't sexist? Face it, they don't want a woman president. Most men can't handle a woman boss at work much less running the country.

Do you mean to tell me that the men who didn't vote for her in the primaries or say they don't agree with her politics aren't sexist? Face it, they don't want a woman president. Most men can't handle a woman boss at work much less running the country.

You are going entirely too far in say that about most men. You know I begin to think you are a female sexist. Lots of women voted for Obama too.

Frankly I would not have voted for Mrs. Clinton. I saw no sign that she was competent -- just being married to the President proves nothing.

You are going entirely too far in say that about most men. You know I begin to think you are a female sexist. Lots of women voted for Obama too.

Frankly I would not have voted for Mrs. Clinton. I saw no sign that she was competent -- just being married to the President proves nothing.

Thank you for participating in my little experiment. You continually imply that anyone who complains about Obama or his politics are racist and yet when the tables are turned you can clearly see how ridiculous it is. You reacted quite predictably.

• Like 2

I reacted sensibly and don't retract a thing. The opposition to Obama having the Nobel prize does have a racist smell to it, although I will admit it's mostly sour politics.

I might agree with you on Hillary, Michelle, but draw the line at Palin!

Hillary would (and would have), I think, do (done) a good job while Palin was (and still is) simply not up to the demands the position expects.

I fully agree with you...I was just making a point. Some will get it and some won't, but it never hurts to try. ;)

• Like 1

I fully agree with you...I was just making a point. Some will get it and some won't, but it never hurts to try. ;)

Well, sometimes it does - but it's only the pride or ego that gets wounded so I suppose that's recoverable from! :D

• Like 1

I reacted sensibly and don't retract a thing. The opposition to Obama having the Nobel prize does have a racist smell to it, although I will admit it's mostly sour politics.

I guess, if you are a brain washed by CNN. I mean seriously, 0bama should be the last guy on this planet to recieve such an award. He has more blood on his hands then anyone today. It has nothing to do with him being black. but more to do with him being red. Stained with the blood of thousands of innocents.

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 1

Well, what if you found Palin and G. W. Bush scary? And what if you would find B. Obama scary, if he was able to get his way? Does that mean one is racist and sexist? And, um, prejudiced against Texans? :unsure2:

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh
  • Like 2

well said.

I rooted for Obama even though I'm basically an economic conservative simply because he was black. Much of the world did. Oh he was also well educated and well spoken and well traveled, and those were all positives, but his economics were to me even then scary. One never is absolutely happy with any politician.

The issue is his Nobel Prize, and I think he overcame a lot of domestic American racism and helped render it irrelevant. That was why he got the Nobel. I suspect the prize givers also wanted to give him a bit of a leg up in his presidency, and that may have helped on the edges.

The issue is his Nobel Prize, and I think he overcame a lot of domestic American racism and helped render it irrelevant. That was why he got the Nobel. I suspect the prize givers also wanted to give him a bit of a leg up in his presidency, and that may have helped on the edges.

But it wasn't anything to do with racism.You saw the citation that I posted above somewhere about why he was given it. It was for "increasing peace and harmony between nations" or some such twaddle. Nothing to do with being a black person. I'm sure if the Nobel people had given him it on those grounds, everyone would have howled that they were being incredibly condescending. Overcoming racism seems to be what people want to think that it awarded for, in order to make it seem less of a joke.

• Like 3

I rooted for Obama even though I'm basically an economic conservative simply because he was black. Much of the world did. Oh he was also well educated and well spoken and well traveled, and those were all positives, but his economics were to me even then scary. One never is absolutely happy with any politician.

You dont think thats racist?

Anyhow, I often said during his campaign that Id vote for him myself, if I could believe a single word that came outta his mouth.

• Like 2

You dont think thats racist?

Anyhow, I often said during his campaign that Id vote for him myself, if I could believe a single word that came outta his mouth.

Choosing, or not choosing someone, based on color is the very definition of racism. Which proves that the people who cry racism the loudest are usually the ones guilty of it.

• Like 3