Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Warning over caffeine sweets after man dies

Still Waters

A coroner warned about the dangers of a high energy mint after a father who ate a pack believing they were normal sweets died of a massive caffeine overdose.

John Jackson, 40, was found dead by relatives after chomping through a £4 packet of Hero Instant Energy Mints, which contain 12 sweets each containing the same amount of caffeine as a can of Red Bull.

http://www.telegraph...m-overdose.html

How long before there is some selfrighteous pressure group calling for a ban. We can die of drinking to much water, perhaps ban water. I would like to ban pressure groups and NGOs, maybe give them some real work to do instead of them being parasites telling us how to live and even how think.

Edited by Kaa-Tzik
  • Like 2

Oh hell!, this so sounds like something I would do..of course washing them down with a couple cups of coffee or mountain dew..WOOHOO< plopppp>

• Like 1

As long as they were sold only to adults I'd have no problem with them. It does seem like asking for trouble though. A candy that one can od on...

• Like 1

I actually overdosed on caffeine once when I was a teenager. Worst experience ever. We had been sitting at Denny's all night drinking coffee and not eating much either. By 4am when we got home, I was having heart palpitations, the feeling of bugs under my skin, shortness of breath, which was followed up by vomiting and the WORST splitting headache ever. Never again would I come even that close to a toxic dose of caffeine. I still drink coffee (frankly I can't seem to get off the stuff, quitting nicotine was WAY easier)

Last Feb. when I was in the hospital, I went 3 days without caffeine... by the morning of the 4th day, I was crying due to the headache I had and begging for something to make it go away. Nevermind that I was already on IV morphine, IV ibuprofen, and IV fluids... not even the morphine and ibuprofen could dull the pain. The only thing that could cure it was a 22oz cup of coffee. Once I drank that, the headache was gone.

Caffeine is pretty evil stuff actually... One day I'll suck it up and get off it, but not right now.

• Like 2

Well caffeine seems to be being pushed hard on school kids. Just go to any newsagents near a school and about half the drinks on offer are high sugar AND high caffeine drinks. There are also chocolate bars with added caffeine and even small 'energy shooter' style shot drinks that have a caffeine kick. Think some of the big confectionery and drinks companies are trying to get kids hooked young and I think. I believe caffeine should be band for under 16's unless it is a traditional cup of coffee. You might think I'm being drastic but you have not meet some of the school kids, the are dumber then **** and will regularly have more then the recommended amount of caffeine before lunch time.

Oh my god that's awful..... What a tragedy. He didn't even know