Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

GOP floats another plan to raise debt limit

questionmark

WASHINGTON, Oct. 11 (UPI) -- House Republican leaders offered a new plan to raise the U.S. debt limit and reopen the government after meeting with President Barack Obama, a GOP aide said.

The offer, made late Thursday, would allow the House to vote as early as Friday on a six-week extension of the debt ceiling and set up immediate negotiations to end the government shutdown that began Oct. 1, The Hill reported.

The GOP leadership aide said the offer calls for two sets of high-level talks -- one to reopen the government and one on a broader budget deal that would fund the government through 2014 and raise the debt ceiling.

Hmmm... Tea Party and Boehner sidelined?

Nah...they are beginning to realize that the USA citizens are getting a little p!ssed off and they don't care about party.

I'm going to allow myself a little hope for the time being that people are waking up to the idea that we do not need Republicans and Democrats...we need representatives that do their job "for the people"...be that Libertarian, Constitutionalists, Green, Independent...

Hopefully folks will send the two parties packing for an election or two and teach them a forgotten lesson..."You work for all of us, not a handful of lobbyist and corporations"...

• Like 1

So, is defunding, derailing, or delaying the ACA completely off the table now?

The fact that at least one reputable poll has the anointed one at 37% tells me no...

Hmmm... Tea Party and Boehner sidelined?

Tea Party - Maybe.

Boehner? No, he's been for a increase in the limit all along, provided he can get some concessions for it.

Harte

Tea Party - Maybe.

Boehner? No, he's been for a increase in the limit all along, provided he can get some concessions for it.

Harte

Well, If Boehner is still part of it he does his utmost to hide that:

Boehner tells House GOP negotiations have ended

By Rosalind S. Helderman, Paul Kane and Jeff Simon, Updated: Saturday, October 12, 5:52 PM E-mail the writers

House Republicans were told by Speaker John Boehner Saturday morning that negotiations between the House GOP and President Obama have ended, with Obama’s rejection Friday of the House’s latest offer.

At a closed door meeting in the basement of the Capitol, Boehner urged members to hold firm, several said, even as Senate Republicans work to negotiate their own proposal to end the impasse.

Read more

Edited by questionmark

I thought we were talking about the debt limit, not the CR.

These are two different issues.

Harte

I thought we were talking about the debt limit, not the CR.

These are two different issues.

Harte

The Senate is debating to combine the two issues, opening the government until the end of the year and expecting constructive debt talks and a budget discussion. So no, not really.

Looks like they are banking on 17 Republican members of Congress, who are at risk of loosing their tenure due to the shutdown next year, to vote for anything within reason that opens the government again.

So, is defunding, derailing, or delaying the ACA completely off the table now?

It's just a sideshow.

Chess Match: Invite House and Senate members to the White House.

Then refuse to negotiate.

We are ALL back to square one.

Tea Party - Maybe.

Harte

Yes, Speaker Boehner Compromise:

- Approve CR to fund the government until Dec. 15, 2013

- Delay ObamaCare for 1 Year

- Repeal Medical Device Tax

Obama Plan: Lean back in his chair, listen and then refuse to compromise until the 11th hour.

The situation is fluid.

Last I heard, the newest offer was to postpone the medical devices tax as well, instead of eliminating it.

Harte

The fact that at least one reputable poll has the anointed one at 37% tells me no...

Dang he might not be able to get elected again...

Meanwhile GOP numbers are far worst.

Maybe if the Tea Party would be ignored and an open vote be held this could all be over. Rumour is enough GOP members see the writing on the wall, with their approval in free fall and Republican groups threatening their funding, to break with Boehner and get things passed. Heck maybe this would have never happened if the GOP hadn't changed the voting rules at the last minute to ensure that the shutdown would happen.