Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Astonishing object seen outside ISS yesterday

JimOberg

Image captured by a startled astronaut aboard ISS October 10 about 13:46 GMT.

gn52586144.jpg

It was definitely outside -- not a reflection -- and moving against the star background. He didn't know what it was but downloaded the image immediately [no coverup!!].

Edited by JimOberg
  • Like 1

Ok, I'll 'bite'...what do the astronauts think it is?

My personal guess: some type of space junk?

Edited by Lilly
addition

Hi Jim. This looks almost exactly like the "ufos" from the STS tether incident. What do you think? I'm still a bit open-minded about that.

Edited by Mentalcase

They had no idea what it was, but that's not the issue i want to raise. This is my point: weird stuff is reported imediately because of the potential of imminent danger. There's no security review or UFO coverup procedures. What they see is what they report.

Somebody did find an extraordinary and rare explanation for it, we can discuss that in a little while.

• Like 1

At a guess, a solar/or partial solar eclipse captured through some ejecta from the ISS?

• Like 1

it's huge, wonder if it's edible

Here's WORST-CASE speculation that requires follow-up but NO wider publicity as yet;

1. A Russian military missile test Thursday night [Russia time] was observed by chance [he says]

by an astronaut looking out a window aboard the International Space Station.

2. It is not known how HIGH this missile reached on its flight path, but previous missile tests

of the same type have flown through near-Earth space well ABOVE the path of the space station.

3. Space is mostly empty and is very very big, so the odds of a collision would always have been low.

4. But in my book, close enough to 'see' is close enough to deserve some worry.

5. We need to check with DoD sources as to how high this latest test flight was and how close it passed to the ISS.

6. Here's the sighting story: http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/10/11/russian_topol_missile_test_spotted_from_iss.html

7. Here's the official Russian announcement:

Test launch of intercontinental missile Topol carried out on testing ground Kapustin Y

Moscow Interfax in English 1432 GMT 10 Oct 13

MOSCOW. Oct 10 (Interfax-AVN) - A test launch of the intercontinental ballistic missile RS-12M Topol was carried out on the Kapustin Yar testing ground in the Astrakhan region at 5:39 p.m., Colonel Igor Yegorov, an official with the Russian Defense Ministry's press service and information department for the Russian Strategic Missile Forces (RVSN), told Interfax-AVN.

"The training combat part of the missile hit a target on the Sary-Shagan testing ground in Kazakhstan," Yegorov said.

8. Not disclosed: the test is a very short range flight path for a very long range missile. Impact was

planned at an anti-missile weapons test range in Kazakhstan, NOT the normal full-range impact zone in far eastern Siberia [Kamchatka area].

9. On a similar test flight along the same profile in June 2012, the missile rose high enough to be back-lit

by the midnight sun and be visible high above the horizon in Israel, Jordan, and other middle eastern regions.

My advisory at that tiome: http://www.jamesoberg.com/Unusual_Russian_missile_test_sparks_mideast_UFO_flap.pdf

10. Geometrical considerations alone indicate it would have had to have been well above 500 kilometers,

perhaps as high as 1000 kilometers, to be visible 'over the horizon' of the curved Earth, from that far away.

11. The ISS orbits at about 440 kilometers altitude.

12. This new launch occurred before sunset so the lighting conditions were very different

from the June 2012 launch. Still, downrange regions [after sunset locally] in Russia did

experience numerous sightings and videos were posted on youtube and rutube.

see links here http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread975982/pg1#pid17059286

13. These videos show the same sequence of streaming thrust and then a final brief spiral cloud that expands and dissipates [the spin-up of the warhead bus], as seen in June 2012.

14. The odds are that the October 10th launch was indeed far enough away so as not to threaten the space station, but I'd like to verify this. Also, can somebody ask the Russians if their military missile forces even checked where the space station WAS before they pushed the button? After all, there are three cosmonauts aboard, as well.

15. And why did I express some skepticism about the astronaut saying he saw it 'by chance'? There are three cosmonauts on the station -- I am compelled to be paranoid and wonder, was the very unlikely coincidence of visibility NOT by pure chance, but instead was it arranged by selection of a missile launch time WHEN the station was passing by, so the Russians could observe the missile with their own imaging systems. And maybe one of them just hinted to his buddies that they might enjoy an awesome view if they happened to wander over to the window in their part of the station in 5 minutes?

16. See? I do believe there can be 'space secrets', and absence of the 'whole truth', even from space!

Image captured by a startled astronaut aboard ISS October 10 about 13:46 GMT.

gn52586144.jpg

It was definitely outside -- not a reflection -- and moving against the star background. He didn't know what it was but downloaded the image immediately [no coverup!!].

Well I hate to put the kybosh on the the excitement but it looks like lens flare, or just some cloud.

It hardly qualifies for being a UFO; no structure, no shape, no lights..................

Not very interesting at all to me.

• Like 1

For once I agree Zoser. Seems obviously more of a product of the camera than anything else. In my opinion.

Well I hate to put the kybosh on the the excitement but it looks like lens flare, or just some cloud.

It hardly qualifies for being a UFO; no structure, no shape, no lights..................

Ok, I'll say it before Seeder can! lol

Zoser, I have seen you more convinced with way less to go on. How does this one not qualify as proof (in your opinion)?

Jim Oberg is posting it, so I would put more credibility in something he has produced rather then a ufo video from some YouTube uploader who miraculously has 75 personal ufo videos on his channel.

Inter-galactic jellyfish!

• Like 2

Ok, I'll say it before Seeder can! lol

Zoser, I have seen you more convinced with way less to go on. How does this one not qualify as proof (in your opinion)?

Jim Oberg is posting it, so I would put more credibility in something he has produced rather then a ufo video from some YouTube uploader who miraculously has 75 personal ufo videos on his channel.

I can't see your point to be honest. This looks nothing like a UFO. Admittedly if it is some sort of cloud it needs investigating since it clearly shouldn't be there. I wouldn't have posted it on a UFO forum though.

We all differ on who we give credibility to; from your post it seems that you and I clearly do.

Looks like ice crystals

Swamp gas that escaped orbit.

Edited by zoser

Inter-galactic jellyfish!

It's funny you say that. While hiking the Appalachian Trail and camping there many times, I have counted numerous objects "floating" around up above which reminded me of marine life. Like some type of bio-luminescence or Jellyfish-like creatures. What I seen those many times, seemed more like biology instead of technology. These single lights would be pulsating at times, Their paths were irregular. Arcs, zig-zagging, stopping and changing direction, bumping into each other and taking off in the same direction. They definitely were aware of each other. There was a type of communication going on. Believe me or not, IDC. I wasn't the only person who seen these things in action. Many hikers and campers in high elevations have admitted seeing these things as well. These "lights" I'm talking about are very small and sometimes faint, other times very bright. It doesn't take a long time to start noticing these objects moving in front of the fixed stars.

Many times you will also see satellites, but they are more obvious in action. Their direction is more or less a huge, curved, steady line.

I've posted my sightings before. Perhaps what I seen could have been some type of insect high above, IDK.

• Like 1

I can't see your point to be honest. This looks nothing like a UFO. Admittedly if it is some sort of cloud it needs investigating since it clearly shouldn't be there. I wouldn't have posted it on a UFO forum though.

We all differ on who we give credibility to; from your post it seems that you and I clearly do.

Swamp gas that escaped orbit.

I guess you are the judge, jury and executioner of UFOlogy.

SPECULATION: This space-based observation reminds me of a very detailed report from cosmonaut Vladimir Kovalyonok of a cloud-like shape-shifting anomaly he observed from Salyut-6 in 1981. Details and sketches are here: http://www.ufoevidence.org/cases/case396.htm

I determined that Kovalyonok's sighting occurred just prior to orbital sunset as he was passing over South Africa's "Overberg" rocket test range. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denel_Overberg_Test_Range. Wiki writes: "It was used to test the RSA series of Israeli-South African missiles until cancellation in 1992," I have FOIA'ed US DIA records of any observation of a missile launch from there on the date of Kovalyonok's sighting, but they report no records. South Africa has not even answered requests.

• Like 2

Thanks Jim. :)

Obviously, the pic is something a bit out of focus. The same effect has been recreated many times to prove the circular objects in the STS videos were debris.

A cloud 200 miles up in space? What kind of swamp gas have you been smoking?

The astronaut -- Luca Parmitano -- tweeted he saw the apparition outside his window and made the shot. No lens flare.

I'm glad to see that you require true UFO photos to have structural shape and running lights. How narrow-minded! You weren't that picky when you were defending blobs of light on space shuttle videos like STS-48, now, were you?

• Like 2

SPECULATION: This space-based observation reminds me of a very detailed report from cosmonaut Vladimir Kovalyonok of a cloud-like shape-shifting anomaly he observed from Salyut-6 in 1981. Details and sketches are here: http://www.ufoeviden...ses/case396.htm

I determined that Kovalyonok's sighting occurred just prior to orbital sunset as he was passing over South Africa's "Overberg" rocket test range. http://en.wikipedia....berg_Test_Range. Wiki writes: "It was used to test the RSA series of Israeli-South African missiles until cancellation in 1992," I have FOIA'ed US DIA records of any observation of a missile launch from there on the date of Kovalyonok's sighting, but they report no records. South Africa has not even answered requests.

Should this even be on the UFO forum?

It's a scientific anomaly not a UFO.

A cloud 200 miles up in space? What kind of swamp gas have you been smoking?

The astronaut -- Luca Parmitano -- tweeted he saw the apparition outside his window and made the shot. No lens flare.

I'm glad to see that you require true UFO photos to have structural shape and running lights. How narrow-minded! You weren't that picky when you were defending blobs of light on space shuttle videos like STS-48, now, were you?

Apparition? Ectoplasm? Ghosts? Yep. Definitely the wrong forum.

IT IS AN UNIDENTIFIED FLYING OBJECT = UFO. Hence being in the right forum. I used to MOD here, so I think I should know.

No offense, but It's people like you who keep peeing in the pool.

Edited by Mentalcase
  • Like 1