Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Clues to Lost Prehistoric Code Found

Still Waters

Researchers studying clay balls from Mesopotamia have discovered clues to a lost code that was used for record-keeping about 200 years before writing was invented.

The clay balls may represent the world's "very first data storage system," at least the first that scientists know of, said Christopher Woods, a professor at the University of Chicago's Oriental Institute, in a lecture at Toronto's Royal Ontario Museum, where he presented initial findings.

http://news.discover...amia-131011.htm

"very first data storage system," ~ Very first iPad. :P

Edited by Mentalcase
  • Like 1

That's fascinating. The article asks how they could number and name transactions ... One of the "balls" contained 49 pebbles to represent sheep and goats .

I notice the "ball" pictured has animals depicted on it. More than one way to convey information. Written words are handy though.

Edited by lightly

That's fascinating. The article asks how they could number and name transactions ... One of the "balls" contained 49 pebbles to represent sheep and goats .

I notice the "ball" pictured has animals depicted on it. More than one way to convey information. Written words are handy though.

A similar system was found in the ancient smelting areas of the copper age. The delivery always consisted of two containers, one with the blooms and a second sealed one with the same number of pebbles as there were blooms in the shipment. That way things did not fall off the truck so easily.

How odd, but interesting. Historical findings, however mysterious, has always been fascinating to many it seems, including myself.

A similar system was found in the ancient smelting areas of the copper age. The delivery always consisted of two containers, one with the blooms and a second sealed one with the same number of pebbles as there were blooms in the shipment. That way things did not fall off the truck so easily.

That's interesting ... pretty ingenious . It could be re- sealed and used as a receipt. .. I can imagine someone forging duplicates too :whistle:

Perhaps, but for the benefit of debate, the Mesopotamians were a polytheistic culture having a multitude of the deities. Given the amount of work necessary to construct these rather complex sealed balls, perhaps the 49 pebbles representing sheep and goats were used in the context of a deity such as Lahar the cattle-god or goddess for protection and abundance.

"very first data storage system," ~ Very first iPad. :P

Seeing as it is only understood by its users, I think you are spot on. ;)

• Like 1

That's incredible! I love that we are constantly discovering more about our ancestors. It really leads us to believe they weren't as primitive as once thought.

• Like 1