Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hi-tech Bionic Man leaves British shores for

EnderOTD

Why the hell do want to argue semantics?

:edit...

Right on LOL

Exactly, we agree on the semantics! :) Have a nice night.

P.S.: I also found it funny that you tagged this thread "robotics"!

So, where is the biology of this creation?

"The word bionic was coined by Jack E. Steele in 1958, possibly originating from the technical term bion (pronounced bee-on) (from Ancient Greek: βίος), meaning 'unit of life' and the suffix -ic, meaning 'like' or 'in the manner of', hence 'like life'. Some dictionaries, however, explain the word as being formed as a portmanteau from biology + electronics."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bionics

You believe that it merely has to be 'life like' while I believe the latter.

From what I gathered from the article the components of the 'robot' were to showcase the medical technology of implants. They aren't biological however they mimic their biological counterparts, hence 'bionics'.

• Like 1

Now, if they could only make the Transformers real...

Now, if they could only make the Transformers real...

Check this out...

Gigantic boardable personal mech-warrior

http://suidobashijuko.jp

Edit: I know the link looks odd but it's Japanese and I have only viewed on a tablet but it seems legit.

Edited by F3SS

From what I gathered from the article the components of the 'robot' were to showcase the medical technology of implants. They aren't biological however they mimic their biological counterparts, hence 'bionics'.

Yes, but the definition which I go by is that 'bionic' is a portmanteau of biology and electronics. That's the way the $6 Million Dollar Man worked anyways - electronics adapted to a biological organism. Half biology, half electronic. Now, 'Cyborg' is probably the more popular term.

A life-like robot, back in the old days (before they were invented) were called 'androids'.

Definitions change. :)

Check this out...

Gigantic boardable personal mech-warrior

http://suidobashijuko.jp

Edit: I know the link looks odd but it's Japanese and I have only viewed on a tablet but it seems legit.

Oh, cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your input. Do you think that any of this technology has helped people to cope with their physical shortcomings at all? or are you just commenting to say something negative?

It's dumb because it's not doing anything, making it look like some model of parts just put together. And the video is dumb because it shows nothing good. And it's dumb because there are videos showcasing more advanced robots than this junky looking thing. And it's dumb that you're taking my comment as being negative towards helping people with physical shortcomings.

Edited by AlienDan