Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could fossilization be a rapid process?

Still Waters

Wherever there are fossils, whether in books or our national parks or displayed in museums, we are constantly reminded of the geologic timescales required to preserve them. Methods such as carbon dating and stratigraphic layers also seem to bear witness to the slow and steady processes and deep time involved.

Yet, despite all of the assurances by the experts that fossilization is a sedate, molecule-by-molecule transformation of dead flora and fauna over eons of time, interested bystanders, amateurs, hobbyists, children, and other more intuitive observers cannot help but notice the examples of living creatures caught in stone as they hatched, gave birth, devoured other creatures, or twisted and contorted in a moment of back-arching agony.

http://www.thunderbo...d-thundercrabs/

could stalactite growing be a rapid process?

Right.

Wherever there are fossils, whether in books or our national parks or displayed in museums, we are constantly reminded of the geologic timescales required to preserve them. Methods such as carbon dating and stratigraphic layers also seem to bear witness to the slow and steady processes and deep time involved.

Yet, despite all of the assurances by the experts that fossilization is a sedate, molecule-by-molecule transformation of dead flora and fauna over eons of time, interested bystanders, amateurs, hobbyists, children, and other more intuitive observers cannot help but notice the examples of living creatures caught in stone as they hatched, gave birth, devoured other creatures, or twisted and contorted in a moment of back-arching agony.

http://www.thunderbo...d-thundercrabs/

That link seems to postulate that carbon could somehow change to silicon from electrical discharge. I'm not a physicist but I can't imagine how this could be possible. Carbon-12, the most common form has 6 protons 6 neutrons and 6 electrons. Silicon has 14 protons 14 neutrons and 14 electrons so the only way to change carbon into silicon would require some form of nuclear fusion. I read something about accomplishing this using lasers. Electrical discharge is just about the flow of electrons.

That link seems to postulate that carbon could somehow change to silicon from electrical discharge. I'm not a physicist but I can't imagine how this could be possible. Carbon-12, the most common form has 6 protons 6 neutrons and 6 electrons. Silicon has 14 protons 14 neutrons and 14 electrons so the only way to change carbon into silicon would require some form of nuclear fusion. I read something about accomplishing this using lasers. Electrical discharge is just about the flow of electrons.

On the home page the site is promoting the electric universe hypothesis. Apparently a lot of crazy stuff is possible in the electric universe.
  • Like 1