Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Need suggestions for books and movies...

George Ford

Hi,

After watching a few films and reading a few books about either individual isolation or small groups of isolated people I'd like some suggestions of more please.

Some films I watched and loved were:-

John Carpenters The Thing

The Thing (2011)

Cabin in the Woods

The Blair Witch Project

All of the Living dead/Evil Dead type movies etc

Life of Pi

Into the Wild (based on a true story!)

Shackleton (also true story)

The Terror (an audio book, written by Dan Simmons)

Evidence (2012)

Everest: Beyond the Limit (TV series)

And loads of other stuff I can't remember.

I hope you get an idea of the sort of stuff I might be interested in. The underlying theme is that the people in the story can't get outside help and have to survive either against a monster or killer or weather etc.

All suggestions welcome. Thank you :yes:

Read Wool by Hugh Howey. You can purchase the Wool Omnibus for kindle for $5.99 (us) http://www.amazon.co... kindle edition

Its followed by two other series, Shift and Dust.

It's about a group of human survivors living in an underground silo after the environment has been destroyed by nano-tech weapons. Really really good. I'm about 50% through the last novel

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

Read Wool by Hugh Howey. You can purchase the Wool Omnibus for kindle for $5.99 (us) http://www.amazon.co... kindle edition

Its followed by two other series, Shift and Dust.

It's about a group of human survivors living in an underground silo after the environment has been destroyed by nano-tech weapons. Really really good. I'm about 50% through the last novel

Thank you for the suggestion. I have just added the paperback version to my basket on Amazon. Gonna wait for some more suggestions and then order a bunch of stuff in one go.

"The Dyatlov Pass Incident". It is a horror sci-fi film based on the genuine mystery. Very good film that ties in some other mysteries. Looking at your list it fits in very well as it contains elements of several of them.

• Like 1

"The Dyatlov Pass Incident". It is a horror sci-fi film based on the genuine mystery. Very good film that ties in some other mysteries. Looking at your list it fits in very well as it contains elements of several of them.

Thank you, :tu: I actually watched it a few days ago. It was pretty good and weird towards the ending. If you haven't seen Evidence (2012) you should get is ASAP. You will love it.

I should probably add, Moon, Life Pod, Sunshine and Alien (1-4) to the list of 'isolation' style films that I've seen so people don't suggest them.

• Like 1

Thank you, :tu: I actually watched it a few days ago. It was pretty good and weird towards the ending. If you haven't seen Evidence (2012) you should get is ASAP. You will love it.

I should probably add, Moon, Life Pod, Sunshine and Alien (1-4) to the list of 'isolation' style films that I've seen so people don't suggest them.

Yeah, the ending that was the beginning that was the ending that was the beginnning that was.......................

I didn't see Evidence yet, on my to watch list.

Monsters and weather? Living under Lewisham council is a good start.

Movies: (most of which I imagine you've already seen)

Vertical Limit

The Edge

Open Water

Alive (from the book)

And I Alone Survived (from the book)

Lifeboat

Lifepod

The Donner Party

And Then There Were None

The Most Dangerous Game

Savages (based on the novel Deathwatch)

(There's a category for survival films on wiki if you're interested but it's sadly lacking).

Edited by Oniomancer

You Dont Know Jack, Al Pacino plays Jack Kevorkian its pretty good, its about all the stuff that he had to go through because oof what he was doing with patients

Thank you for all the suggestions. I received 'Wool' yesterday in the mail so will start that and can't wait to watch some of them films.

If you liked Into the Wild, you'd probably like "Into Thin Air" as well. It was written by the same guy and is also based on a true story.

Demon seed by dean koontz is good. Its about a woman who is trapped in her house by an artificial intelligence ( a psychotic computer that has human feelings) and phantoms also by dean koontz is spectacular. Its about a woman and her niece that go to this small snowy town for a visit to someone, only to find the whole population in that town missing or dead. Together with a band of survivors they must get past the evil presence that caused the dissapearances and get out of the town. As for movies, you can try silent hill, the hills have eyes, and open water

Edited by Himawari69

Also, the movie altitude is alright, though it takes place in a small plane in the sky

Walkabout. (Going to be on Turner classic late night on the 10th.)

Survive The Savage Sea (From the book)

Sahara

The Lost Battalion

Behind Enemy lines

Bat 21

Robinson Crusoe (various)

Robinson Crusoe On Mars

Dark Star

Marooned

Castaway On The Moon

Red Planet

It, The Terror From Beyond Space

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things

The Killer Shrews

Panic In Year Zero

Five (1951)

Goke, Monster From Hell

And in a lighter vein:

Lt. Robin Crusoe U. S. N.

The Last Flight Of Noah's Ark

The Blue Lagoon

Return To The Blue Lagoon

Books: We (charles lindbergh)

Edited by Oniomancer

Books:

An old one (60's) about the aftermath of nuclear war seen from the perspective of a small town in Florida... "Alas Babylon" by Pat Frank... Excellent book

"When Worlds Collide" (1933) and "After Worlds Collide" (the movie from the late 50's kinda stunk) by Phillip Wyle

Movies:

"On The Beach" -by Stanley Kramer Another post apocalyptic movie - very depressing...

"Zulu"

"The Posidon Adventure"

"Silent Running" - a Scifi movie about a guy and three "droids" alone on a ship in space

"The Ghost and the Darkness" a true story about a pair of killer lions that terrorize a part of South Africa in the early 1900's...

Snowbound: The Jim And Jennifer Stolpa Story

Island In The Sky

Five Came Back

Disappearance

The World, The Flesh And The Devil

Night Of The Comet

Chopping Mall

Westworld

Target Earth