Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bizarre remedies to cure ailments 350 yrs ago

Still Waters

From rubbing watercress on the gums to stuffing bread into the ear, there is a cure for virtually any ailment.

These bizarre remedies date back almost 350 years and are found in an antique book to be auctioned off later this month.

http://www.dailymail...-years-ago.html

• Like 1

It's true they had a lot of bizarre remedies, but they had an equal number of perfectly sound remedies that I think should be used more often. At least natural remedies come without side effects.

• Like 2

Huh. From a historical perspective I think it's a great find.

From a medical one, not so much. But apparently some of it worked enough not to get his head cut-off. :w00t:

"Dr Sermon, who first gained medical experience in the Army and went on to become a physician for King Charles II, died six years after his book was published at the age of 50." from the article

I found that darkly funny; I wonder if he died with bread in his ears and tobacco ash on his teeth... I'm pretty sure he had charred bird tincture and lots of alcohol in his system.

This one might be true, "In the book, Dr Sermon states: 'Sickness is a convulsion which will most commonly deprive the patient of reason and sense, caused by tough flegm which doth obstruct the passage of the spirit of the brain.'"

LOL! Thank you technology!

• Like 1

Didn't they chop your leg of if you had a slight infection on it back then? thank goodness for Alexander Fleming.

• Like 1

Didn't they chop your leg of if you had a slight infection on it back then? thank goodness for Alexander Fleming.

Dr. Semon might have suggested packing the infected area with cow dung infused with the urine of a pregnant goat that has been sitting in a jar with pig fat after being carried around on a donkey with mange for a period of three days.

So, yes, thank you Dr. Fleming! lol!

• Like 1

Dr. Semon might have suggested packing the infected area with cow dung infused with the urine of a pregnant goat that has been sitting in a jar with pig fat after being carried around on a donkey with mange for a period of three days.

So, yes, thank you Dr. Fleming! lol!

It does make me wonder why some of these remedies were tested in the first place, if someone had suggested putting animal poop on my wound, i would have suggested they were committed to the nearest asylum.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1