Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

EBT Cards Fail to Work in 17 States

Kowalski

In some Walmart stores, customers emptied shelves like it was Black Friday, while in others, no one could buy anything -- all thanks to a weekend of glitches with the nation's welfare system.

Problems involving Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards, the government payments to the poor that are administered by states with the help of private companies, plagued at least 17 states Saturday and Sunday, creating retail riots. At Louisiana stores in Springhill and Mansfield, cards registered no spending limits, prompting recipients to go on buying binges.

"It was worse than any Black Friday,” Springhill Police Chief Will Lynd told local station KSLA-TVexternal-link.png.

Customers said shelves were picked clean in a mob scene that left employees rattled. Walmart spokeswoman Kayla Whaling told the station the company made a conscious decision to keep ringing up goods rather than to cut people off.

"We did make the decision to continue to accept EBT cards (and purchases on WIC and SNAP) during the outage so that they could get food for their families," she said.

But when order was restored and the cards began reading properly, it became clear that some customers were out to take advantage of the taxpayer-funded program. One woman had $700 worth of merchandise in her cart and an EBT card with a balance of just 49 cents.

Link: http://www.foxnews.c...istance-frenzy/

Edited by Burt Gummer

Yep, and once again it is proven: private companies can do all better and cheaper than the government.

A sign o' the times! :gun:

Can you imagine what would happen if the EBT system crashed all over the US??

People laugh at preppers and call them crazy, but then you see stories like this and wonder, hmmmm, maybe they are right....

• Like 3

In Spain last Summer there was a coordinated "attack" on a grocery chain in 2 or 3 cities. Volunteers went in in groups and filled shopping carts by the dozens with staples of food and other basic supplies then left without paying. The high unemployment rate and homelessness were given as an excuse. You gotta LOVE Robin Hood types :w00t:

This business yesterday was just theft. And particularly STOOPID theft. They have an electronic record of every item and the card it was "purchased" with. Just shows how little concern these folks have with being held accountable. They know they brutha got they back.

• Like 2

That women who bought $700 in merchandise while only having 49 cents on her card is in for a big surprise.

• Like 2

That women who bought $700 in merchandise while only having 49 cents on her card is in for a big surprise.

No kidding....

In Spain last Summer there was a coordinated "attack" on a grocery chain in 2 or 3 cities. Volunteers went in in groups and filled shopping carts by the dozens with staples of food and other basic supplies then left without paying. The high unemployment rate and homelessness were given as an excuse. You gotta LOVE Robin Hood types :w00t:

This business yesterday was just theft. And particularly STOOPID theft. They have an electronic record of every item and the card it was "purchased" with. Just shows how little concern these folks have with being held accountable. They know they brutha got they back.

Yep. They know who did it....All of that is recorded....

How much in groceries?$700! Come on, now tell us it was all in pizzas.

• Like 1

Friggin Obama voters. And I'm the greedy and selfish one cause I want to reign in spending on "entitlements". Pfhh. See what happens when you create a culture of entitled numbskulls who have zero respect or concept of OPP. You create the greediest and most selfish forms of humans the planet has ever known. Hope Walmart gets em all. Doubt it though. It is my understanding that Walmart gave the go ahead on this.

I saw a perfect comment on theblaze about this. Comment said: They can figure all this out in a matter of hours but 4 years to obtain an ID to vote is unreasonable.

These system a abusers are far more able than the left would have you think. They live off of our work. Why are they enlightened to that?

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 4

We are living on razor thin margins. That's why I'm well stocked up on food, storage, and most importantly ammo. I can protect my property, and family against most mobs. Just talking to my neighbors gives me comfort as well. They feel the same way, and are equally, if not better prepared.

• Like 5

Friggin Obama voters. And I'm the greedy and selfish one cause I want to reign in spending on "entitlements". Pfhh. See what happens when you create a culture of entitled numbskulls who have zero respect or concept of OPP. You create the greediest and most selfish forms of humans the planet has ever known. Hope Walmart gets em all. Doubt it though. It is my understanding that Walmart gave the go ahead on this.

I saw a perfect comment on theblaze about this. Comment said: They can figure all this out in a matter of hours but 4 years to obtain an ID to vote is unreasonable.

These system a abusers are far more able than the left would have you think. They live off of our work. Why are they enlightened to that?

Make sure you are well armed. Don't depend on the government to help you. That's the problem right here. One small glitch, and look at the mobs? Can you imagine what is going to happen when the dollar becomes worthless? Stay ready my friends.

• Like 1

Friggin Obama voters.

what makes you think they were Obama voters and not Ron Paul voters?

• Like 1

We are living on razor thin margins. That's why I'm well stocked up on food, storage, and most importantly ammo. I can protect my property, and family against most mobs. Just talking to my neighbors gives me comfort as well. They feel the same way, and are equally, if not better prepared.

paranoid much? What mobs?

paranoid much? What mobs?

Maybe the same mobs that are cleaning out the grocery stores in case their cards don't work for another month? Can you imagine what it would be like if the government didn't make those cards good in a few weeks?

• Like 2

I am prepared, as well as many of my neighbors.... :tu:

what makes you think they were Obama voters and not Ron Paul voters?

LOL. What makes you think they're not?

• Like 1

Yep, and once again it is proven: private companies can do all better and cheaper than the government.

No. It proves once again why the bigger you are the harder the fall. It seems Walmart was the target during the blackout. Why is that?

Why not mom n pop shops?

The answer is clear. Because the little guy has more to lose.

• Like 1

In my area, on Saturday morning (a time when the grocery store is usually packed) it was a ghost town.

It was certainly the EBT shoppers missing.

Yet,that evening all the local 'Haunted Houses' were packed to the gills, with folks paying $17 dollars a pop to go thru the attraction. I have to think some of that crowd are the same ones we're paying to support.

I've a neighbor lady, who is always driving a new car, has the most fashionable clothes, nails, and hair. She has a top of the line I Phone. Yet, when she goes to feed herself and her two spoiled snots, she uses her EBT card.

I would agree some sort of overhaul for the system is far overdue.

• Like 3

That's a bit offensive and a narrow point of view of people who voted for Obama. In all probability, those who did vote for Obama are not dependent upon the government, it's more likely they work for a living and support themselves in most cases. The type of people who do these things, rack up their EBT cards and take advantage of the system, probably don't even vote, nor give a crap who's in office.

It would be nice if you would refrain from lazy stereotyping people in your future posts, like you just did in this post, just because they voted for someone you don't like. I don't know about anybody else here on UM, but I don't appreciate that crap! I work hard for a living and I don't need someone to define me as some kind of lowlife, just because I voted for someone who is the lesser of two evils, IMO.

• Like 4

That's a bit offensive and a narrow point of view of people who voted for Obama. In all probability, those who did vote for Obama are not dependent upon the government, it's more likely they work for a living and support themselves in most cases. The type of people who do these things, rack up their EBT cards and take advantage of the system, probably don't even vote, nor give a crap who's in office.

It would be nice if you would refrain from lazy stereotyping people in your future posts, like you just did in this post, just because they voted for someone you don't like. I don't know about anybody else here on UM, but I don't appreciate that crap! I work hard for a living and I don't need someone to define me as some kind of lowlife, just because I voted for someone who is the lesser of two evils, IMO.

It's still voting for evil... sorry for your luck.

• Like 2

It's still voting for evil...

That's what I don't get....I figured out a long time ago, the two party system was rigged...I don't understand why people won't vote third party....I'm starting to feel like Jeremiah65, I don't care what third party you vote for, just vote third party! :)

• Like 2

It's still voting for evil... sorry for your luck.

Thanks, but see if I hadn't and apparently as well as a majority of other voters with the same opinion, the worst of the two would be in office right now. Call it a sacrificial vote to avoid even further chaos. The guy just sucked even more than Obama.

Maybe they should get cloning going again, see if we can't get Teddy Rosevelt back in there for another run

• Like 1

That's what I don't get....I figured out a long time ago, the two party system was rigged...I don't understand why people won't vote third party....I'm starting to feel like Jeremiah65, I don't care what third party you vote for, just vote third party! :)

You talking about Ron Paul? Yeah, he was alright. Agreed with him on a lot of things. But one specific thing really bothers me about him and the libertarian political mentality...and that's dealing with those on welfare and SSI. I don't think letting charity organizations and churches deal with the true needy, by themselves, is a good idea. You might as well take the disabled out back and shoot them, put them out of their misery, because their chances of survival is slim if you don't have the government to help or intervene. Charity organizations that are not shady, make a great supplement to the needy. But that's about it.

Otherwise, I'd be a Libertarian right now instead of a Independent.