Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teen Suspended for Being Designated Driver

BiffSplitkins

A Massachusetts high school honor student says she was stripped of her role as captain of the volleyball team and suspended for five games for showing up at a party to drive her intoxicated friend home.

Two weeks ago, a friend of 17-year-old Erin Cox messaged her and said she was too drunk to drive home from a party she was attending in Boxford, CBS Boston reports.

Cox drove to the home and snaked through a crowd of teens to find her friend. But shortly afterward, police from Boxford, Georgetown, North Andover and Haverhill arrived to break up the party, arresting a dozen underage drinkers and handing out court summonses to 15 others, including Cox, the Boston Herald reports.

READ MORE

Sounds like the school's 'zero tolerance' rule also rules out doing the right thing. This is what happens when laws and rules are taken too literally.

I would like to know of any prior incidents with this student though. Maybe she has had a few too many close calls with the zero tolerance rule in the past. We will proabaly never know.

Edited by BiffSplitkins
  • Like 1

I can kind of understand the schools stance on zero tolerance- as in don't even be at drinking parties, let alone drink. However, I think in this case since she was cleared by the police, and wasn't attending the party just picking someone up, the school should not have punished her.

• Like 2

A friend just pointed out to me; what if you bring your high school child to a college football, basketball or other sporting event in their own stadium where beer is served. Does that count as Zero Tolerance under the high school policy?

From the article...

But North Andover High School said the senior was in violation of the school’s zero tolerance alcohol and drug use policies.

"alcohol and drug use policies"

If these policies relate to alcohol and drug use, but the person did not use alcohol or drugs, then how can they be applied?

And how can being in proximity to the using of alcohol or drugs be pertinent to "alcohol or drug use" policies?

Sounds to me like some of the people directing school policy are a little too anal-retentive.

It is clearly a war on kids of all ages.

So the girl wanted to do the right thing by picking up her inebriated friend so he wouldn't drive himself and SHE gets punished.

I suppose the school's rationale is that she was at a place that served alcohol so that is reason enough to punish.

Seriously these schools need to butt out of peoples lives and focus on what is of immediate concern.

"Zero tolerance" my butt.