Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

So, Anonymous are the bad guys?

green_dude777

Not sure if this is the appropriate forums, but I'd like to hear all of your opinions on the group Anonymous. I keep hearing how these guys are international criminals and generally bad guys, but I have a hard time swallowing that opinion when I read something like this....

http://www.news.com.au/world-news/year-old-daisy-colemans-rape-accusation-against-popular-teenager-drives-her-family-from-small-us-town/story-fndir2ev-1226739945280

• Like 3

Not sure if this is the appropriate forums, but I'd like to hear all of your opinions on the group Anonymous. I keep hearing how these guys are international criminals and generally bad guys, but I have a hard time swallowing that opinion when I read something like this....

http://www.news.com....v-1226739945280

Well, to begin with, Anonymous isn't one set group of people. Pretty much anyone with a Guy Fawkes mask and a "cause" call themselves Anonymous.

This batch of Anonymous may share some individual with the batch of Anon that protests Scientology.

Yes, some individuals that have given themselves the "Anon" title are doing some very noble things. Other that give themselves the title are out there making life miserable for other people simply for the "lulz".

4chan spawned much of this and anything spawned by 4chan...

So I can't give an opinion on the group because there isn't really a set group. Some are international criminals and a few may actually be above average hackers. IMO the masks and the name have become more of a meme and a fad rather than a cohesive, socially moral group of activists.

Good for them for bringing injustice to the attention of the world and trying to right a wrong but remember, a group with the same moniker has been known to target "innocent" individuals.

Nibs

• Like 9

Annoymous are my heros... They are not the bad guys, they are the modern Batmans. They do what we all wish we could. Stand up for the people the law doesnt.

The way they go about this is deemed as hacking, which by its definition is a criminal offence, however its not like they hack the privacy of peoples for criminal acts. Its for justice.

However, I agree with Nibs, but thats ALL groups, you have to good, you have the bad(so the above only applies to the good ones :P)

Edited by The Id3al Experience
  • Like 3

IMO Anonymous are not the bad guys. They put themselves above the law and against the law wherever laws and injustices clash with good old common decency and human nature. They exist because of injustices against human nature, in the same way freedom fighters exist where freedoms are taken away from it..

• Like 6

Annoymous are my heros... They are not the bad guys, they are the modern Batmans.

Yes...Batman, that ancient figure from the a time before ours

• Like 6

I can hear some of my more conservative acquaintances saying, "You can't take the law into your own hands." However, when the law fails, or when when outlaws control the law (crooked politicians, bad cops, citizens using status or money to evade responsibility, etc.), that's when Robin Hood, Batman and Anonymous find their niche.

• Like 4

Yes...Batman, that ancient figure from the a time before ours

I was meaning Modern Batman as in computer viliant not a actual hand to hand like batman

Well, it's a double edged sword. Maybe these threats will bring more attention and justice to these cases. But, also, they may wrongly accuse someone and ruin their life...and since there is no accountability for them why would any one worry about responsibility? And no one has ever gotten anything wrong on the internet, have they?

The risk is pretty huge.

• Like 1

I never quite understood why they adopted the guy fawkes thing,

if the idea is that they are all one entity wouldnt a blank face mask work better?

• Like 1

It's the same with any large group of people. Some will be very good, A few will be bad, but most are just cheerleaders....

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the feedback.

I personally love the idea of Anonymous. And yes, i will be wearing my Guy Fawkes mask on this 5th of November's Million Mask March.

BTW, the mask represents many things (Distrust of government etc). Also, the mask symbolizes an idea, specifically one man destroying the government. I have recently re-watch V for Vendetta and i think there are some very powerful quotes from the film, and i am in no way surprised that V's mask became the symbol of Anonymous

V: "People should not be afraid of their government, government should be afraid of their people."

Evey: "We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world."

Valerie: "Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us. But within that inch, we are free."

• Like 4

I personally love the idea of Anonymous. And yes, i will be wearing my Guy Fawkes mask on this 5th of November's Million Mask March.

BTW, the mask represents many things (Distrust of government etc). Also, the mask symbolizes an idea, specifically one man destroying the government. I have recently re-watch V for Vendetta and i think there are some very powerful quotes from the film, and i am in no way surprised that V's mask became the symbol of Anonymous

V: "People should not be afraid of their government, government should be afraid of their people."

Evey: "We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world."

Valerie: "Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us. But within that inch, we are free."

That is one of m favorite movies.... :)

• Like 2

The problem with "Anonymous' is that they are not a centrally organized entity. On top of that, they are highly immoral.

Reminds me of Al-Qaeda.

They broadcast, in some cases, illegally obtained info that is inflammatory and dangerous to world issues, with little to no actual oversight of the info. In short, they are functional idiots.

This make them worthy of a "James Bond" take-down.

Bring it on, Bond, and kick some butt.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

I was at the G20 summit in 2009, there were a few people in masks, IMO, if you have something to say, do not hide behind a mask, thats a clear indication of asking for trouble. I have no respect for those in masks, but do have respect for those who fight for our rights which those in power think they can take away from us.

I have nothing to hide at these summits/meetings and will not hide behind a mask.

Using the Guy Fawkes symbol is not the best of ideas either, we do not want to overthrow our government because we want to replace them with another religion, which is what Guy Fawkes was doing, we want to overthrow the government because of what they are doing to this country and what they are trying enforce on us...we do not want to replace them with something of the same!

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

Never been too sure about them and I still sit on the fence,without being too conspiritorial I even wonder wether they are a very shady arm of Western Governments.

Just my own opinion,but it would be nice to think that there is someone out there fighting the escalating injustice that seems to infect our world.

Edited by shaddow134
  • Like 2

I was at the G20 summit in 2009, there were a few people in masks, IMO, if you have something to say, do not hide behind a mask, thats a clear indication of asking for trouble. I have no respect for those in masks, but do have respect for those who fight for our rights which those in power think they can take away from us.

I have nothing to hide at these summits/meetings and will not hide behind a mask.

Using the Guy Fawkes symbol is not the best of ideas either, we do not want to overthrow our government because we want to replace them with another religion, which is what Guy Fawkes was doing, we want to overthrow the government because of what they are doing to this country and what they are trying enforce on us...we do not want to replace them with something of the same!

I can understand where you are coming from on that....

Never been to sure about them and I still sit on the fence,without being too conspiritorial I even wonder wether they a very shady arm of Western Governments.

Just my own opinion,but it would be nice to think that there is someone out there fighting the escalating injustice that seems to infect our world.

I would like to think that...

• Like 1

You have nothing to hide, but with the surveillance state, that does not mean you have nothing to fear. Would you be happy to be labelled a "domestic terrorist" for attending a protest? Well, you (and I, and anyone who has attended a political protest) most likely already have that label attached to you. When the surveillance state want to see your face, i have no issue wearing a mask, in fact i brought one after attending a protest about new spy laws, making the illegal surveillance that has been taking place over the last 10 years legal.

• Like 3

You have nothing to hide, but with the surveillance state, that does not mean you have nothing to fear. Would you be happy to be labelled a "domestic terrorist" for attending a protest? Well, you (and I, and anyone who has attended a political protest) most likely already have that label attached to you. When the surveillance state want to see your face, i have no issue wearing a mask, in fact i brought one after attending a protest about new spy laws, making the illegal surveillance that has been taking place over the last 10 years legal.

By wearing a mask they will label you a "domestic terrorist".

I am not anti masks, some times they are worn to make a point, but then there are those who wear them purely to hide their faces so they can not be identified as they are anticipating trouble, if not actually starting it themselves.

Like these:

onelessguyfawkesmask_0.jpg

Yes Anonymous are the bad guys just like Thomas Paine who signed his Common Sense pamphlet with The Author(i.e. Anonymous).

welcome to the future you may have seen and heard all of this before!

• Like 4

Yes Anonymous are the bad guys just like Thomas Paine who signed his Common Sense pamphlet with The Author(i.e. Anonymous).

welcome to the future you may have seen and heard all of this before!

I must've missed that part where Thomas Paine went around trolling people and hacking their websites.