Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New toxin is world's deadliest substance

UM-Bot

The new type of botulinum toxin is so deadly that its details have been withheld from public databases.

The protein botulinum is produced by the soil bacterium Clostridium botulinum and is able to block the release of a chemical that makes muscles work. The newly discovered toxin is so devastatingly effective that it takes as little as two billionths of a gram to kill an adult human.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/256292/new-toxin-is-worlds-deadliest-substance

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• freetoroam

• -Night_hawk-

• pallidin

• bassai26

Looks like now they have to make an anti toxin. I'm sure once they have that, it will become public. Good for them though, on with holding the DNA sequence and being responsible.

I'm all for keeping this type of information locked away tight..m.we have enuf problems with the fanaticals and bombs, and keeping nukes out of their possesion. I don't see any good reason to release the information, cause it would be like showing a monkey how to use a gun.....

sure its good to have this information stored, but whats the point in making it in the first place?

what do they say? "hey Dr. Whatever, lets make the deadliest substance known to man, then see what happens."

"ok"

sure its good to have this information stored, but whats the point in making it in the first place?

what do they say? "hey Dr. Whatever, lets make the deadliest substance known to man, then see what happens."

"ok"

That's not what happened. It was not "engineered"

It was found in the feces of a sick child, studied, and found to be a previously unknown variant.

I remember the Bon Vivant company that made vichyssoise soup which had been contaminated with the botulism toxin in 1971. At least one died, more were made ill and there was a panic and a recall of the soup. Five can were found to be contaminated after the recall. The company also went bankrupt thereafter.

According to Wiki the bacteria produces the toxin when it is infected by a bacteria phage virus, which encodes it for the toxic protein. If this strain was found in the gut of a child, it sounds like a case of infant botulism, which is according to the article, the most common form of botulism in the U.S. It is possible that a new phage virus with slightly different encoding produced this particularly lethal form. Interestingly honey is the only know dietary reservoir of the bacteria's spores, and the article states honey should not be fed to infants under one year of age.

The spores of the bacteria are everywhere, in soil, water, the ocean, and probably on some of salad you eat every day, but the bacteria only grows and produces toxins under certain conditions. I remember hearing somewhere an eight ounce glass of the toxin could kill a billion humans, but that may be highly inaccurate.

0.0 we're all dead

hmm maybe there is a plant or herb as an anti-toxin

How new? It seems the news of it is new, but the scientists have known about it for some time, wonder if they will disclose that info?

Is it really new or something found in the soils which was deposited there by man over time?

Its obvious it has not been recently discovered, so as the worlds most deadliest toxin, can we have the figures of the number of deaths so far?

If this is something produced by man, I wonder how long it will be before this will be the next chemicle weapon.....if it has not already been patented by the military.

If this is something produced by man, I wonder how long it will be before this will be the next chemicle weapon.....if it has not already been patented by the military.

Currently, this is not a "man-made" issue. Rather, it's a previously unknown highly toxic, and apparently rare, variant of a known deadly bacterium produced in nature.

Edited by pallidin

Currently, this is not a "man-made" issue. Rather, it's a previously unknown highly toxic, and apparently rare, variant of a known deadly bacterium produced in nature.

If it has not previously been a threat to the human race, then its best they leave it where it is, leave it alone and stop interfering....unless its on land someone wants to build on, then thats a different story, maybe they want to build an olympic stadium on there one day.!!

I wonder how fast this toxin will take to kill an adult. potassium cyanide kill with in a minute

Anyone we know?

read the article, people. or even some of the previous comments. it was not made. it's a previously unknown naturally occurring form.

Soon to be made into the newest Botox no doubt. That will relax those facial muscles!

Good thing that are keeping the genetic coding secret, although I am guessing it isn't secret for the U.S. military who will certainly try to make this into a new chemical weapon...