Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How Your Knees Can Predict the Weather

Still Waters

Do weather conditions really aggravate physical pain?

It is one of the longest running controversies in medicine

Many patients swear that certain weather conditions exacerbate their pain. Consequently, orthopedists, rheumatologists, neurologists, family physicians, chiropractors, physical therapists—even personal trainers—report an increase in grousing among their clients when the temperature drops or a storm approaches.

http://online.wsj.co...127833656537554

• Like 1

My knees can predict weather change with no problem.

I don't doubt that the weather affects how I feel; when it's windy and dry my hay fever makes me miserable. Not very predictive, though. I think most such predictions derive from selective memory (we remember when the prediction comes true or even back-associate it but forget the rest).

I have a metal plate and screws in my wrist from an accident many years ago, and my wrist hurts like buggery when the whether is set to rain, or when there is a cold snap.

Well, I just hang a 'special' rock on a bit of string and look at it each morning for the forcast

wx-stone2.jpg

My bones seem to ache more when the weather is changing also. I thought I had heard it was due to the rapid pressure difference.

I also can usually smell when the rain is about to start and can usually predict out as far as a half hour and pin down when the rain hits the ground to within 5 minutes. One time we were at the beach and I smelt the rain coming and told my wife we needed to go back to the car. So we packed up and got back to the car just as giant fat drops started pounding down out of the sky. Hundreds of other people on the beach got soaked.

Edited by DieChecker